Fuji!

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I think I may have said about the same thing, but it was so many freakin' pages ago I'm not sure I remember. IF they come out with an interchangeable lens system and IF the IQ is notably better than m43, I MIGHT eventually get something with a larger sensor. But assuming sensor technology continues to improve, the odds are the differences between m43 sensors and the larger sensors will get smaller and smaller, so this may not ever happen. And I just don't see the appeal of a fixed lens system when you can always slap a prime on your interchangeable lens camera and have the same experience but then sometimes stick a DIFFERENT prime or, god forbid, a zoom on there for yet a DIFFERENT experience.

I love riding a single speed fixed-gear bicycle (no coasting) also, sometimes its all I ride for long stretches of time. But I'd hate to not have a bicycle with gears also - they really help with certain things.

All other things being equal, I'll stick with the e-p2. But of course, all other things are NEVER equal, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

-Ray
I agree. 4/3 sensors have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years and I see little advantage in the APS-C sized sensors. I would expect the IQ of the Fuji to be top notch, but not so much better than, say, a Pen with 40mm f1.7, to justify the "upgrade." No, the real attraction of the X100 is the concept, the style, the cool retro design and the functionality. Look how compact she is with that fixed lens. Look at those gorgeous sexy curves and the alluring mix of chrome and textured black leatherette. Look at those dials, real dials like cameras used to have. Why, there's even an aperture ring on the lens - how cute, how quaint, how eminently practical! She's clean, uncluttered and discrete. And that dual function viewfinder - Wow, what an innovation! In short, she truely is a photographer's camera.

No wonder we are all besotted, enchanted and transfixed. But the infatuation will eventually wear off for many of us, particularly when faced with the cost of this pretty lady's services, and we'll stick with our somewhat plainer but reliable and faithfull cameras. All the same, it's hard to resist a whirlwind romance and passionate affair with this beauty, just don't tell my darling Pen, to whom I've only recently become betrothed! :biggrin:

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
It is being reported on RFF that an acessory ring for mounting converters both wide and tele will be available, this whole kit ends up being SMALL. The little ring screws in the filter threads and has a bayonet for the converters.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
zorki,
Thanks for posting this. I saw that also and am glued to the threads over there.
Many here are not on that forum but I appreciate you passing the info on to us here.
So Zorki..... What else ya got for us....
Inquiring minds want to know....

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
Thats it for now unless it hasnt been said you will have settings for Velvia,Provia, Supria,Neopan, etc.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Thats it for now unless it hasnt been said you will have settings for Velvia,Provia, Supria,Neopan, etc.
Get the he** out!
How about Tri-X and Fuji NeoPan in FG7 1:15 with sulfite....
Oh my... I'll have nightmares about abandoning raw and doing jpegs ...
The Horror!

pawzitiv

Mu-43 Regular
My question, not having followed this market segment at all: if it and the X1 were the same price, what are the advantages of the Fuji over the X1?
It's not much of fair comparison when assessing the feature sets of the Fuji X100 and Leica X1. The Fuji X100 has:

- faster lens (f/2.0 vs f/2.8)
- closer minimum focus distance (10cm vs 30cm)
- higher top shutter speed (1/4000 vs 1/2000)
- hybrid viewfinder vs no viewfinder
- ND filters vs none
- HD video vs none

Also the lens on the Leica X1 "trombones" in and out when turning the camera on and off .. I hate that! I would be surprised if the Fuji X1 lens does this.

Much as I'm a fan of Leica, the Fuji X100 promises to be a far better camera than the Leica X1 for roughly half the price .. provided that the Fuji delivers superb image quality.

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm. Maybe I am not as interested in gear as most here, but I still like my OLD E-P1 (it is from 2009!!!!!). Don´t think a new camera will make me take better pictures at this point, so I am gonna stick to it!

And I will envy all the people who actually get this super Fuji (and doubt my poor old E-P1)...

But I admit this Fuji is really sexy! I am sure it will be real good, and all the excitment on the interweb show that this is something people have waited for. Wonder how long we must wait before we see some pictures taken by it. I think I read somewhere that the pictures can be important too, not only the camera.
I'm sorry, but I find a lot of the comments on this thread so amusing. People "ditching" a camera and format because a new shiny toy comes out.

So does this mean that the GH1 or GF1 or G1 all stopped producing good images on the day this Fuji announcement was made?

Did you make any decent images with your mu 43 system? Are those good images now bad ?

elshaneo

Mu-43 Regular
Compared to its main competitor Leica X1, this Fujifilm Finepix X100 is certainly a bargain, but how many of us, Micro 4/3 shooters would buy this new Fuji camera next year as a second camera as backup?!

Jerry_R

Mu-43 Regular
I would buy for 35mm. I would keep u43 for its 7-14mm and 45mm.
Waiting for more samples & tests from X100.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So does this mean that the GH1 or GF1 or G1 all stopped producing good images on the day this Fuji announcement was made?
Yep ... but it only affects Panasonic cameras, the rest of us with Olympus PENs still have cameras that work ...

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
So does this mean that the GH1 or GF1 or G1 all stopped producing good images on the day this Fuji announcement was made? Did you make any decent images with your mu 43 system? Are those good images now bad ?
Of course this thread, in a micro 4/3 forum, is making someone nervous...
You are right, but this move by Fuji will perhaps (I hope so) have someone wake up at Oly and Pana.
The E-OVF rangefinder style is great news, but there are other bits around. For example, that camera will have a distance meter plus, apparently, a graphic indicator for hyperfocal. That's missing from m4/3 and valuable for some people. And not impossible to add.
There have been a long time demand for a rangefinder-like camera, and Oly and Pana seem to have missed it thinking primarily at the upgrading-from-P&S target. They have got all the technology and experience to derive such a camera from the GF-EP series, and still could make something to satisfy this niche that's apparently larger than expected (seen the enthusiasm Fuji has created).
My two eurocents.

Alessandro

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
For example, that camera will have a distance meter plus, apparently, a graphic indicator for hyperfocal. That's missing from m4/3 and valuable for some people. And not impossible to add.
Sir, you've pointed the finger right where it hurts. I still can't understand why my e-p1 doesn't give me hyperfocal indications as does my Pany lx2 which is 3 years older. Yes, I understand this can be related to communication between camera and lens, but no, I'm not swallowing it. The engineers in charge of the project deserve to be bashed for having been that short sighted - if they were.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The last few post get to the crux of the matter.
Panny and Oly are not paying attention to the users.
Fuji has been reading forums and have moved forward to give users what the want/need.
I fear for the m4/3 format at this point.
It is not supported as it deserves to be.
Once a user goes to the Fuji, there will be no turning back.
Panny and Oly have missed the call that Fuji has risen to.
Darn shame.....

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I'm sorry, but I find a lot of the comments on this thread so amusing. People "ditching" a camera and format because a new shiny toy comes out.

Did you make any decent images with your mu 43 system? Are those good images now bad ?
You're absolutely right, of course existing cameras haven't suddenly stopped producing great images. However, I think it is clear that the X100 has struck a chord with a sizeable minority as the first digital camera to provide almost exactly what they want. All else up to this point has been a compromise. :43: has been a very good compromise, giving those people much of what they want, but at last the Fuji promises to be the real deal.

This doesn't mean that just one camera will precipitate the demise of :43:. Far from it, those that migrate will only represent a small fraction of the mirrorless camera market and many of those will continue to run a :43: system in tandem anyway, as undoubtably it is more flexible. Olympus and Panasonic clearly see the main growth comming from P&S upgraders and DSLR users wanting a lighter second system with interchangeable lenses.

The "rangefinder style" users are a minority, a significant minority but perhaps not crucial to the success of :43:. It is to these that the X100 will fit like a glove and I think Fuji are to be applauded in being the first to recognize this market. If Olympus and Panasonic wish to include this market in their future plans it is up to them to respond positively. Future competition for the X100 could only be good.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
John,
It would be foolish for Panny & Oly to think the Fuji is a passing whim.
Fuji will no doubt in a hurry introduce more cameras along this line.
At that point if Panny and Oly have not given users what they want...
then they will no doubt have a serious problem on their hands.
Fuji is a Major Player with a very good rep.

Surely they could have made this camera in m4/3 format. They chose not to because I think they are setting a path for their/our future.
If they introduce a line of lenses and an interchangeable body, how many would stay in the m4/3 format. The x100 sensor is larger and keeps the MP at about m4/3 size. This alone assures good IQ. There is no doubt the engineers at Fuji have done their homework.

It's exciting to say the least. I really hope things improve in our camp as I adore my GF1.
I am not one to rattle my own cage. It took me 15 months to switch from the Pens to the Panny's.

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
A few days after the X100 was announced and more info came in, my plan for a D7000 evaporated. I have a soft release here in the drawer waitng for it. My new plan is the EPL1 as the telephoto,macro, and adaptive lens machine. The x100 wont be the second camera, it will be the OTHER camera. I have all but canceled my plan of, next friday (payday) to get the Pan 20mm, Its a third the price of the X100 and I wont need the focal length when I get the x100. But, you know how it goes logic goes out the window when you want something new, especially the Pan 20.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
zorki,
Get the 20. It is not the same as the 35.
I use the 17 & 20 all the time. When the 14 comes around, I'll use that also.
On the wide end, every mm means something.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom