Fuji!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The control issue is a controlling issue.
The lens is reportedly in full stop clicks. That means you have to look at the camera to find a near, close 1/2 stop. Very disconcerting.
On my M cameras/lenses, I never had to look at the aperture ring. You just count clicks... Accurate to 1/4 stop...
What are they thinking and who is asleep at the wheel?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
So, how can this be addressed? If one is looking at the LCD or through the viewfinder will the 1/2 stops show? I thought I had read that they would. Forgive me if this has already been discussed. My brain is a bit too full. I need a backup brain right about now.

qball

Mu-43 Regular
It says it has a 23mm lens (135mm equivalent for 35mm)... so that's like 6x multiplier... compared to the 2x for the m4/3....

or am I missing something?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Yeah, youse are missing it....
Here it is.....
Say your at 5.6.... Your looking at your subject.... You want to open to 4.5... For exposure reasons... You have to look at the lens...
With 1/2 stop clicks... You just feel it go there...

Look, the camera is designed with Street in mind. That's the main function of the camera, candid unobtrusive photography.
So, you shouldn't have to look at the camera untill your ready to make the exposure.
Any Leica street shooter will raise issue with this.

If I was at 5.6 and wanted to go to 3.5...
Problem with aperture adjusting procedure....!

mzd

Mu-43 Veteran
yeah, you're reading a typo or something (not sure which source you are referring to). the multiplier is 1.52 (according to wikipedia's aps-c page) and all the reviews say you get 35mm equivalent focal length.
i agree with the other comments on the manual style controls. it looks like a dream to operate. and that was my biggest issue with the e-pl1. diving into menus for your major exposure controls is slow. it looks like the e-pl2 will be a better performer with the additional control dial.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
BB, it shows clearly that Fuji made a horrific blunder that can't be addressed. It's a mechanical issue. They would have to re-manufacture every lens.
So again, the engineers and designers had a good idea but clearly produced an advanced amateur camera.
This will grow to a major issue on release, or before.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Nah, it won't affect the price. Most people will compromise the issue and settle in.
It'll bug me forever. At $1200.00 USD it's not a consumer camera, it's supposed to be a Prosumer camera. Fuji should paycattention to their users needs.
I'm loosing energy fast.....

Burkey

Mu-43 Regular
Hmmm. Where have we seen this sort of f-stop and shutter speed setup before? (Other than with classic cameras.)
I have owned both the Digilux 2 and 3. The later I got direct from Leica when my Digilux 2 sensor went out. Both great cameras at low ISOs with easily adjustable f-stops and shutter speeds.
. . . Burkey

Attachments

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Nah, it won't affect the price. Most people will compromise the issue and settle in.
It'll bug me forever. At $1200.00 USD it's not a consumer camera, it's supposed to be a Prosumer camera. Fuji should paycattention to their users needs.
I'm loosing energy fast.....
Don, between this and the LX5 issue you've been having across the hall, I think I know what your problem is - TOO MUCH FREAKING SNOW!!! On days like this, I think this may be a fair representation of what the inside of your head looks like. On every internet forum I've ever been part of (except a skiing related one I visited for a short while once), people start getting cranky somewhere in later January and it doesn't let up until March when stuff starts popping out of the ground again. You shouldn't do anything rash this time of year!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5390457545/" title="Le Snow by ramboorider1, on Flickr">View attachment 156371"1188" height="800" alt="Le Snow" /></a>

-Ray

Spaceghost33

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Christopher Stelter
...or this....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Don, between this and the LX5 issue you've been having across the hall, I think I know what your problem is - TOO MUCH FREAKING SNOW!!! On days like this, I think this may be a fair representation of what the inside of your head looks like. On every internet forum I've ever been part of (except a skiing related one I visited for a short while once), people start getting cranky somewhere in later January and it doesn't let up until March when stuff starts popping out of the ground again. You shouldn't do anything rash this time of year!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5390457545/" title="Le Snow by ramboorider1, on Flickr">View attachment 156467"1188" height="800" alt="Le Snow" /></a>

-Ray

Yes, funny and hit nail in our collective heads. Too much fargin snow...and we in MN thought we had it bad. Eastern snow wakes got to be heart breaking, literally, and it ain't even February...do not do rash...

Good one, Ray, made my Friday!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Ray, as everyone but you knows, you are my kindred spirit link to reality.
I am keeping the LX5 because it's as good as it gets for a compact.
I will get the Fuji but will hammer and chisel 1/2 stops on the lens.
Thanks my friend for the constant reality check.
Don

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BB, it shows clearly that Fuji made a horrific blunder that can't be addressed. It's a mechanical issue. They would have to re-manufacture every lens.
So again, the engineers and designers had a good idea but clearly produced an advanced amateur camera.
This will grow to a major issue on release, or before.
Don

I noticed this too and it seemed an odd (even simply wrong) choice.

Then, on the dpreview Preview, I noticed this in the specifications:

Exposure comp. • Up to ± 2.0 EV
• 1/3 EV steps

I wonder what level of control we have over setting Exp Comp settings, and how they relate to the mechanical stop points on the lens?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Well, EV and f-stops are not the same because f-stops change dof and EV doesn't.
So, that is a design flaw in their brain if they think that, that is a work around.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ya. It just stumps me that they missed something so obvious.

I am wondering have I missed something in reading the information available so far.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom