Fuji!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Fiddler, Sep 19, 2010.

1. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Now THAT's more like the camera a lot of people have been waiting for. Compact, simple, retro-design, combination OVF/EVF to get the advantages of both. Now if only this came in an interchangeable lens format! I definitely want to see some sample photos with this, but I'm interested.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

They definitely have my attention :smile:

3. I think that they are shutting out many buyers without offering interchangeable lens. They wouldn't even need to offer any zooms; just a 50mm and 90mm.

4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are working on it for the mark II...

5. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    That definitely does look interesting.

6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Leica X1 killer, anyone?

7. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    It seems like what Pana and Oly is taking time to deliver, Fuji's been silently working on it! This is really very exciting :)

8. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Leica M9 killer methinks, not just X1. Give it some time and they'll have a version with interchangeable lenses. I can't believe it took this long for someone to say "Hey - users seems to like the Leica cameras, and people always wish they could afford one, let's build a cheaper version and sell it!"

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

So true.

10. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    That will depend on how well they sell, and how much profit they can make out of it. This will influence whether they will follow up on this camera in the future. Despite the hysteria surrounding this release, we (enthusiasts) might not make a big enough market to make this a commercial success.

I've seen too many promising camera models die by the wayside. I'll hold my breath and hope this isn't another one...

• Like Like x 1
  11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Got my camera envy syndrome in full swing.

12. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    The traditional selftimer on the from is a little too much retro for me, but indeed cool.
    - However with fixed lens and this focal length (only) a clear no-go for me
    - But if you could buy two together (one wide, one portrait) for reasonable price then the lenses don't have to be interchangable... If you look at the top-view picture a dpreview then you can almost see it should be possible to make then interchangable...

Oh, I am curious to see how comfortable both OVF and EVF are on this camera and where this is going

13. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Beat me to the punch! I was about to post this.

I want it.
    However, already having the GF1 makes it a no-go for me. I'd be interesting in hearing how good the quality is, though.
    Bravo, Fuji!

14. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Fuji made really nice rangefinders back in the day with a fixed focal length.
    I had a few and they performed excellent. This one looks like it will take off really well.
    As stated above, it'll give the X1 a beating really bad....
    Sorry BB....

I'll pre order as soon as it's built....
    a smiling shooter

• Like Like x 2
  15. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Finally!

Finally a photographic tool that appeals to those of us who remember what cameras were like before they came to resemble a deformed plastic union between a vacuum cleaner and a touch-tone '70s phone. A time when images were more carefully considered and executed rather than the spray-and-pray, point-and let-the-camera-figure-it-out approach so common now.

Don't let the fixed lens put you off; I find that both my ability to see images and my composition skills improve markedly when I'm forced to work with only one lens.

If image quality matches the specifications, I may have to part with my Leica M8 in favour of this new Fuji X100. It's definitely a sharp stick in the eye of the Leica X1 (hmmmm... such similar model numbers).

Oh .. and yes, I'm a full-fledged, card-carrying Luddite .. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  16. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Wonder if the X1(00) model number is significant :biggrin:. Can't wait for some reviews.

17. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Only in that they will sell 100 of these for every X1 sold! :biggrin:

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Well, if I didn't already have a GF1+20, I would pre-order this if it managed to come in under $1200 (basically a little more than what I paid for the GF1/20/EVF). I have faith fuji will not mess up the IQ, and it will at least match what we have on m43. This is a welcome entry in the game.

Panasonic/Oly/Canikon... your move =) (and by that, I mean oly/panasonic get me a 12mm pancake so I can tout interchangable lenses as a bonus)