1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji XT1 - it hurt my hands!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by pdk42, Aug 21, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've been dabbling a bit with Fuji recently. I bought an XE1 cheap and have been playing with it using the Fuji 35/1.4. It's a very clunky camera in lots of ways, but the results are pretty good - esp for portraits where it delivers great skin tones.

So, I thought I'd take another look at the XT1. I played with it in a store for 5 mins and I found the dials so poorly placed and difficult to turn that it actually gave me cramp in my hands. Returning to the E-M1 was like night and day - it's just such a well-designed camera ergonomically. Probably the best I've ever used.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I agree. The e-m1 always felt just right to me compared to all of the others. Even little things like the front control wheel surrounding the shutter button instead of above or below it seems perfect. I'm always surprised when I put ck up a Canikon and the front wheel is t right there.

I like the X-t1 too though, but the exposure wheel is too stiff I think.

By now I'm probably prejudice but the e-m1 just seems the best ergonomically for me. I'd put the G7 as the runner up. Everything with the G7 seems just about right too.

3. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    I use both (E-M1 & X-T1) for different reasons. I agree that, for me at least,the M1 has better ergonomics. That said, I prefer the image quality of the files from my T1, especially in low light.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    The only thing I have always hated about my E-M1 is the location of the right side strap mount post (whatever you would call it). It is too low on the side rather than being mounted more on the top surface. For one thing it kind of bumps into the top of your hand. And second, I used to use one of those hand straps (example https://amzn.com/B010WMJ9TI ) on my old E-3, but can't on the E-M1 as the strap ends up too low to be effective. Other than that, I find the E-M1's handling very nice.

5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Funny, that happened to me with some of the Nikon cameras I've tried over the years. That red "swoosh" that was originally on the finger-tip side of the grip got moved under the shutter button, and to me, it made holding the camera uncomfortable.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would bet 90% of this is just what your hands are used to. Every new camera I've bought feels a bit weird because it isn't like what you've been using. I felt the same way going from a 60D to a GX7, but then after a month, my 60D felt terrible. Despite me saying it "fit like a glove" while it was my main camera.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's subjective, but sometimes it's just better. The first time I held an E-M1 and looked through the viewfinder it convinced me to eventually upgrade from my E-M5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Even though I never bought an E-M1 I preferred it's ergonomics much more than my E-m5. However the grip of the G7 or GH3/4 series just feels like it's a natural handshake of camera to hand grip.

It's subjective.....

9. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    X-T2 has been released, right? They changed the lock function to "lock only, when you want to loock it". They shoud be easier to turn.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's why I left that additional 10% in my statement! :)

"I would bet 90% of this is just what your hands are used to."

Some cameras are better and some are just bad designs. But in general, I think anyone can get used to any regular camera pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Agree - the X-T1 has some real poor ergonomics. The X-T2 has solved most of its issues though, at least when it comes to dial size and operation. I also found the X-T10 considerably better than the X-T1. Anyway, I still find the pictures coming out from the most recent Fuji cameras just stunning. A lot less PP needed thanks to the lower noise and richer tonality. Of course this is just my personal impression.

12. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I took over 20,000 with XT1. My problem with the camer (and all the other Fuji X cameras for that that matter) was the lack or grip so I always had to had attached, a 'large' grip (Fuji has 2 types, normal and large, normal did not fatten the handle much). With a grip it was very good, but the grip added to weight and volume of the camera. EM1 grip is absolutely perfect it hugs my fingers. I can also deal with Sony grip on A7 series and A6XXX series, although I liked A7 first year grip better than A7II/A7RII when they made it a little different. Fuji always was the worst to hold. The files are exquisite of course.

13. Negative287

Negative287 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2016
    Pete Perry
    Yeah don't say these things are ergonomic nightmares to the Fuji crowd, they go full on crazy on you!

I had the X-E1 and that thing was literally a brick in my hands!

14. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Holy crud! Did anyone notice the most import new feature of the newly announced E-M1 II? 20MP sensor, who cares. A butt load of cross type PDAF locations on the sensor, meh! NO. The most important feature of all is the moved that G.D. strap eyelet on the right off the side of the body where it would dig into your hand and put it back on TOP of the camera where it belongs. That right there is work a grand of the over all price.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Hahaha... I noticed that, but coming from years of cameras where the straps were all on the side, I'm used to that little bit of purchase being there.

I can't wait for the first person to complain about how the silver button behind the shutter control doesn't do anything and isn't programmable. :dance2::popcorm2:

• Sad Sad x 1