Fuji XS10 looks good

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've actually popped on here to get some views on this camera. The Fujifilm is really ticking my boxes - have been waiting for them to release a smaller body with IBIS. For context, I'm looking for a small-ish body, IBIS, mid-range all round zoom and a fast prime.

Had not considered the Z50 but as you say, it lacks IBIS and there are not many lens options (without an adapter). Played with adapted lenses (on camerasize.com) and it looks cumbersome - makes sense if you already shoot Nikon. On that, Fuiji are offering the X-S10 as three different bundles, including the 16-80 F4.

On writing this post, the Sony A6100 has caught my attention. On paper there is no IBIS but they do offer both a 16-70mm f4 & 35mm 1.8 with OSS at a competitive price to the Fuji 16-80 + 35 1.4. Looks like they would handle very differently, trip to the store needed.
I handled a Nikon Z50 recently in a local store out of curiosity - quite nice and the EVF was very good but I hated the front dial which felt very awkward to use (for me) (too recessed and awkward to move my index finger to from the shutter button) plus the lack of IBIS and limited dedicated lenses

The XS10 was announced since then and looks like a better proposition For not much more money you get 26mp vs 21(better for cropping) IBIS plus a better range of dedicated lenses and an articulated screen (which you and others may or may not prefer to tilting and forward facing of the Z50)
It would still remain to be seen whether this small body would suit me but all reviewers I have seen on YouTube seem to agree that it feels good in the hand with a great grip and all reviews seem positive. There has been some nit picking of particular features but none of the reviews have been generally or overly negative about the new Fuji
Dont know if it applies to you but in the U.K. you get a free extra battery and £180 cashback if you purchase a 55- 200 f3.5 - 4.8 at the same time which is a good deal if you are interested in a telephoto zoom (this also gets good reviews)

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
GAS compels means, but the ends will be roughly the same if not worse.
My(emptywallet)self sees the XS10 as a passport body towards crossing borders on migrating to Fujiland. It looks all too Olympisque to my eyes and if I were to just keep it this way... I would not be interested, heck, I would just stay in m43!
However, getting this XS10 along 2 lenses and later on getting a used X-T2/3, now we are talking! Keeping all the intriguing clanky Fuji way of shooting I love in the X100T and an IBISed do-it-all body like I am used to with my petite Oly.
(...now, replacing the 75-300 will be difficult and I expect the Fuji IBIS to be worse than Oly‘s nomatter the CIPA specs)
oh, I forgot, I am looking for a WS body to go with the 12-40 and the XS-10 is not WS so Fujiland, you have to wait, I am still fighting for a visa at the X100T consulate...

Also, keep this in mind:
If your prefer to compose your image in a sensible non-widescreen format, say 4:3 or 5:4, you are out of luck with the current Fujis. I'd be surprised if that were different for the latest one.
3:2 is an ugly compromise that works for most pictures in landscape but not many in portrait orientation.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
Dont know if it applies to you but in the U.K. you get a free extra battery and £180 cashback if you purchase a 55- 200 f3.5 - 4.8 at the same time which is a good deal if you are interested in a telephoto zoom (this also gets good reviews)
Thanks, updated my location, the extra battery does make it tempting to order sooner - the price may drop a little in the new year but probably not as much as a useful spare battery.

As you say, on the reviews, there only seem to be minor things raised (mostly things I've never thought about, like type or number of memory cards - I'm no pro). Looking at reviews, it's a known entity sitting between well established models - but with different dials and form.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
Pre-order placed. Jessops UK via Quidco are offering 5% off anything over £400 (ends soon - code JE2326WE).
Also picked up a second hand 23mm 1.4. Will be interesting to see if more enjoyable to use over the GX80 + P20mm 1.7 combo.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
After much thought and an irresistible offer turning up I’ve decided to give FF a go and forego returning to Fuji at the moment
I have ordered a Nikon Z6 with 24-70 f4.0, an FTZ mount adapter and a Z 70-200 f2.8
Got a huge 20% discount on both items by ordering from a mail order company I deal with - saving £900 - the offer wasn’t coming around again so this for me had to be the time to try FF out
Will be selling off some of my M43 to fund it (some already gone)
Felt it was the time to try out the format due to outgoing model discounts on the Z6 and a good time to dilute my M43 system with the uncertainty surrounding the JIP takeover ?
I only had to pay half now and half in 12 months so will have less pressure to sell some other (M43) gear to fund the new system
The Z6 got a lot of criticism but some of its features appealed including ergonomics, programmable control rings on some of the lenses, superb low light performance and dynamic range, FTZ adapter for older lenses and large high resolution EVF (among other considerations having spent a lot of time reading up in depth on FF systems in recent weeks)
After factoring in the 20% discount and the package deal with the (highly rated) 24-70 f4.0 and Adapter the body has only cost me about £1000 - £1100 which makes it extremely good value and a very low financial risk
I got £560 off of the 70-200 f2.8 which I could not otherwise justify which is apparently produces extremely sharp images
It also has an OLED display which I’ll probably programme to ISO (or aperture ???) along with the programmable control ring as I love having direct control over ISO (or aperture) like the Fuji’s
The downside to the 70-200 is that it is BIG ! but I’m very much looking forward to trying out the system especially at this time of year with failing light levels and I have a couple of old Nikon 35mm film era lenses tucked away somewhere here to try on the adapter (manual focus)
Motorsports has been a dead loss this year with almost all events I could get to being cancelled, a poor outlook with Covid currently returning and travel having been difficult from the Isle of Wight so I’m intending to diversify in terms of what I shoot and a different format will hopefully increase my enthusiasm for other genres :thumbup:
edit - slightly extended version of this posted in other systems ...Gonna give FF a go...

Last edited:

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've seen on some reviews that out of the three dials on the top that the X-S10 has, only the one on the left side is programmable. Does anyone happen to know what the other two dials on the right side are set to? Seems like an oversight to me not to make the two right ones programmable as well.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not sure on that one. Hopefully get mine by mid-November but I suspect there will be more detailed reviews out before then that might explore the custom dial options.

On a side note, the first peice of the Fujifilm puzzle arrived.

Coming soon, the review that no-one asked for! m43 f1.7 pancake vs fuji brick [23mm f1.4].
Don't think I need the X-S10 to know which one takes up less space in my bag :D

UmbtPEE.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Coming soon, the review that no-one asked for! m43 f1.7 pancake vs fuji brick [23mm f1.4].
Don't think I need the X-S10 to know which one takes up less space in my bag :D
Not a very balanced comparison. Might make more sense to compare the P20 vs the 27mm Fuji Pancake.
I tested that one briefly on a X-T30, it did not impress me very much. It takes ok pictures, that's it, nothing interesting about it.
The P20 on the other hand has a lot of character, while still being pin sharp, small and cheap. You just need to give it the time to focus :)

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
Not a very balanced comparison. Might make more sense to compare the P20 vs the 27mm Fuji Pancake.
I tested that one briefly on a X-T30, it did not impress me very much. It takes ok pictures, that's it, nothing interesting about it.
The P20 on the other hand has a lot of character, while still being pin sharp, small and cheap. You just need to give it the time to focus :)
I completely agree and thank you for sharing your experience of the 27mm pancake. The P20 is excellent - nearly 10 years ago now, I sold an entire Canon APS-C system because of this lense. Given it is so small and the re-sale low, I'll likely hang onto it.

The internet is filled with very direct comparisons so I've resorted to using excel to calculate the difference of a larger sensor, slightly wider FoV and larger aperture against the P20 - but I'd have really liked to see some actual images. Less a direct comparision but more an exploration of the different trade-offs and final ouputs.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
I've seen on some reviews that out of the three dials on the top that the X-S10 has, only the one on the left side is programmable. Does anyone happen to know what the other two dials on the right side are set to? Seems like an oversight to me not to make the two right ones programmable as well.
This might be what you are looking for...
Spend less time navigating menus and more time making images by mapping the features you use most to X-S10’s dedicated Fn button and Fn dial. If you have more than two favorites, map up to an additional five of your favorite menu items to any of the five other customizable buttons on the camera body.
https://fujifilm-x.com/en-gb/products/cameras/x-s10/feature-flexibility/

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks. This confirms that the left ("function") dial can be programmed, while the other ("command") dials are set by mode. Not a deal breaker for me, but I would have preferred fully programmable dials for each dial. For example, in aperture priority mode, the front dial is essentially duplicate of the aperture ring on the lens -- it could have been used for something more useful.

1604661486025.png

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
This page shows that the Function dial can be set to adjust a wide variety of functions including ISO which is great news

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
in aperture priority mode, the front dial is essentially duplicate of the aperture ring on the lens -- it could have been used for something more useful.
Like Lumix, not all Fuji lenses have aperture dials. The XF series do, but not the budget XC series. Most third party auto lenses have aperture dials, the Viltrox 85mm is an exception.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
My X-S10 arrived. I'm not that motivated to test camera/lenses but without reading the manual and shooting it's nice and intuative though need to get used to button placement, using lenses for aperture adjustment and then custom to my preferences. The custom options do seem limited at the moment, hopefully this will change with future updates.

My comments are also limited by my use of only a GX80 since 2016. The AF on this new camera is so much quicker and the EVF is brilliant - but that's likey true across all recent models on any format.

I may test the GX80 + 20 f/1.7 alongside the Fujifim 24 f/1.4 to give a sense of the differenent outputs, it's apples vs oranges but that would be intentional for those curious about other systems and different trade-offs. I've no regrets on choosing this over the Oly 17 1.2 Pro, this Fujifilm package is pushing the limits of how big I want a camera to be.

What is everyone, who uses Fuji .raf files, using to edit their photos? I just got an xt2 and am using Rawtherapee but just wondering if there is a preferred method amongst users. I wish there was support in DxO Photolab but doesn't seem that there ever will be. Thanks

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom