Fuji XS10 looks good

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
PASM controls for those who don’t like the dials on the XT series (I love the dials myself), I.B.I.S, 26mp XTRANS sensor, small form factor, bigger better grip than XT series, (but not weather sealed, and single card slot)
£950.00 - looks like great value ?

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Agree, looks like a good package for the money. Would have been nice if the evf- magnification where a little better.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about autofocus speed and capabilities with moving objects?
BIF?
I was wondering the same for my purposes with Motorsports but at the moment I would assume that the camera’s capabilities are dumbed down from those of the XT3/4 and is less capable in that regard

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
Honestly, if they had used that grip on the X-T1 or 2, I'd probably not have left Fuji so quickly. I know the shutter release on the top of the body is 'vintage' but I can't stand it (particularly when using longer lenses, not that there are many options for Fuji on that front!) and I certainly wasn't going to splash out on an X-H1 at the time just to get a decent grip and button placement.

I wouldn't miss the classic 'Fuji-style' dials at all - they were a huge draw for me initially and probably one of the main reasons I bought one, but I found them impractical to adjust quickly on the fly and always ended up assigning everything to the front and rear wheels. Fuji in general was a good example of something that I should like, but I really ended up being glad to give up.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
Looks like a great camera at first glance. Hopefully, the solid competition will motivate our m4/3 producers to keep coming out with solidly built, small-sized, reasonably priced cameras. Competition is good.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Looks to offer a lot of value. But for me, the appeal of Fuji is the retro feel and mechanical control dials for SS, ISO etc so its less appealing than it would otherwise be. The Xpro-3 is still the Fuji model that would most tempt me.

WT21

Super Moderator
Honestly, if they had used that grip on the X-T1 or 2, I'd probably not have left Fuji so quickly. I know the shutter release on the top of the body is 'vintage' but I can't stand it (particularly when using longer lenses, not that there are many options for Fuji on that front!) and I certainly wasn't going to splash out on an X-H1 at the time just to get a decent grip and button placement.

I wouldn't miss the classic 'Fuji-style' dials at all - they were a huge draw for me initially and probably one of the main reasons I bought one, but I found them impractical to adjust quickly on the fly and always ended up assigning everything to the front and rear wheels. Fuji in general was a good example of something that I should like, but I really ended up being glad to give up.
Similar experience. I tried Fuji for the retro dials but found I prefer DSLR controls

WT21

Super Moderator
I Watched the DPR video review. Under the section about video AF they said the af flicks between Foreground and background but they seemed to indicate it was not a huge issue. If it was a Panny, they’d drill the DFD focus flicker, but for Fuji they shrug.... grrrr

Yep looks interesting. I'm a bit amused by the idea of a decent grip on a smallish body [yes Fuji, just woke up to the fact that they are useful....particularly with longer, heavier lenses ?] I do have to say that I'm generally happy with the X-T2 grip but it seems silly, that to date, they are incorporating a pronounced grip on only IBIS bodies?
I do like top dials, though, particularly the ISO dial.
But I love M43 and these days I'm picking up my EM5 ii, when I can, in preference to my X-T2

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Personally i like the look of the retro styled Fujis but i dont find the dails usfull in practice, i have always been ending up not using them at all when i have tried Fuji cameras.
Dont know if i have had the misfortune to try lemons as most users praises Fuji´s lenses...i find the Fuji lenses not that impressive, they have a few which is really good but overall i think Olympus have better performing lenses.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found the retro dials very intuitive to use when I had my XT3 (twice)
When shooting speedway as light levels were falling I wanted my Shutter speeds and aperture to stay near constant for a bit of movement / blur and to control how prominent the background was
I found it really easy and helpful to just look at the top of the camera and turn the ISO dial to maintain those parameters and much easier than looking through the EVF, pressing a button then turning a dial on PASM cameras which to me is a far less attractive way to adjust the ISO
I also really liked the aperture ring on the lenses I used (50-140 f2.8 and 100-400) I never set up my XT3s to use the alternative front and rear rotary dials
I decided to simplify my kit earlier this year and got rid of my Fuji gear to go all M43 as I couldn’t afford to keep two systems running side by side but I have to admit I really miss the Fuji stuff which was also better in low light
I’ve recently sold my latest used EM1X (which I got my money back on) as on balance I found it too big for general use and have now reverted to an EM1/2 again
I have been considering getting another Fuji and have considered another XT3 and lately an XT4 and handled one last week at a shop
I found it more comfortable in its bare form than the XT3 due to being slightly larger with a more substantial grip but they are currently £1549 and a little too much bearing in mind that my Motorsports events have evaporated so the prospect of a body with most of the functionality but at £600 less seems very attractive at the moment (XT3s are currently £899)

The XS10 certainly seems like a good camera for the money but without trying it in hand it’s difficult to gauge whether being so small it would be comfortable to use - although most testers seem to agree that it is a comfortable unit especially with the bigger grip
The EVF is also much smaller at 2.39 MP / 0.58 which is a consideration compared to the 3.69 MP / 0.78 ?
It certainly looks better balanced with an 18-55 f2.8 - 4.0 attached both ergonomically and aesthetically compared to an XT30 which it is also being compared to at its sale price (about £100 less than the XS10 at circa £849 - will no doubt fall in price shortly)

LucDeSchepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Luc de Schepper
The specs look ok but imo the camera design is ugly and a mishmash of ingredients from classic Fuji, and modern Nikon and Panasonic cameras. This camera must have led to heated discussions in Fuji HQ, marketing insisting on it and the Fuji core of lovers of more classic design hating it.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The XS10 certainly seems like a good camera for the money but without trying it in hand it’s difficult to gauge whether being so small it would be comfortable to use - although most testers seem to agree that it is a comfortable unit especially with the bigger grip
Grip looks to good but at the same time when bigger lenses mounted it seems like the space between the lens and grip could be quite tight and cramped which could be a problem if you have bigger hands and mostly use the bigger lenses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom