1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji XS-1 anybody?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jeffryscott, Sep 28, 2012.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Sadly, I sold my OM-D kit for financial reasons and am now looking for an inexpensive alternative to get me through this time.

I had pretty much decided on a Fuji X-10. Stylish, compact, and good image quality. Certainly encompasses my most used focal lengths. But, I'm drawn to the XS-1 due to its huge range, 24mm to 600+mm in what looks to be a fairly robust body. Same sensor as the X-10, much bigger body but very versatile for an all in one.

Anybody have experience with the XS-1?

2. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    OK, so, I bought an XS-1. Arrived Saturday and I played with it a bit Saturday night and Sunday. Returned it Monday.

It seems like a fine camera with an amazing zoom range. Had it not been for my OM-D, it might have worked. The EVF is nowhere near as good, the controls are inconvenient for me and, well, it just isn't an OM-D.

Image quality seemed relatively good and had I bought one of these before the OM-D, I probably would have been happy with it.

Alas, I am now without a camera and need to find something that will get me through until I can get another OM-D, or equivalent.

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jeff
    why dont u pick up an EPL1 or EPL2 body from cameta and add Olympus 14-150 zoom on it? EPL1 is for USD 129 and 14-150 u can easily get on this forum for USD 300-400 and It will cover such a useful FL
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    That is my latest thinking. Cameta has the EPL-1 14-42 and 40-150 kit for $379. I've also seen used GX-1's and EP2's/3's for cheap as well. I can add a VF-2 on as money permits.

5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If you could grab a GX1 I think that would be optimal. Other than some situations (low-light and shutter speeds), I don't think it's lacking much to the EM-5. I have both and enjoy using each of them. I would recommend it over the 12mp sensor'ed cameras due to the higher ISO performance, especially with a kit zoom.