Fuji XS-1 anybody?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jeffryscott, Sep 28, 2012.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Sadly, I sold my OM-D kit for financial reasons and am now looking for an inexpensive alternative to get me through this time.

I had pretty much decided on a Fuji X-10. Stylish, compact, and good image quality. Certainly encompasses my most used focal lengths. But, I'm drawn to the XS-1 due to its huge range, 24mm to 600+mm in what looks to be a fairly robust body. Same sensor as the X-10, much bigger body but very versatile for an all in one.

Anybody have experience with the XS-1?

2. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    OK, so, I bought an XS-1. Arrived Saturday and I played with it a bit Saturday night and Sunday. Returned it Monday.

It seems like a fine camera with an amazing zoom range. Had it not been for my OM-D, it might have worked. The EVF is nowhere near as good, the controls are inconvenient for me and, well, it just isn't an OM-D.

Image quality seemed relatively good and had I bought one of these before the OM-D, I probably would have been happy with it.

Alas, I am now without a camera and need to find something that will get me through until I can get another OM-D, or equivalent.

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Hi Jeff
    why dont u pick up an EPL1 or EPL2 body from cameta and add Olympus 14-150 zoom on it? EPL1 is for USD 129 and 14-150 u can easily get on this forum for USD 300-400 and It will cover such a useful FL
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    That is my latest thinking. Cameta has the EPL-1 14-42 and 40-150 kit for $379. I've also seen used GX-1's and EP2's/3's for cheap as well. I can add a VF-2 on as money permits.

5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If you could grab a GX1 I think that would be optimal. Other than some situations (low-light and shutter speeds), I don't think it's lacking much to the EM-5. I have both and enjoy using each of them. I would recommend it over the 12mp sensor'ed cameras due to the higher ISO performance, especially with a kit zoom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.