1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji X100S

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Chrisnmn, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    For one of those strage reasons, te fuji x100s is available here in NZ first than in other countries.

The other weird thing is that the x100s CAN focus on anything!

More serious.
    Went to the store, played with the x100s and in one word i could describe the thing as: '****stharealdeal' it is AWESOME in every aspect. Fast, responsive, no lag, great design, beautiful handling bla bla. I could finally said THIS IS it. Fuji finally got everything right.

Wheres the catch for me now? Proce tag actually is selling for $2000 nzd (usd $1650 ish) and i believe that is too expensive for a fixed lens camera. I have the money (even my fiancee was saying "go ahead take it" and I (for some weird reason said no)) but not sure yet!

Anyway, i thought i would point this out. The X100s is an AWESOME camera. Period.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Check out the Sony RX1 price....:smile:

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It seems everyone who has touched the X100S has been raving about it, it sounds like Fuji hit a massive home run with this one :smile:

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Get it Chris! the X100s with the EVF and fast AF is a winner.

5. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've been thinking about the X100s rather than a second M43 back up body. Seems to be getting rave reviews and ebay has X100s at $1200. I live in Malaysia and there is no tax or duty on cameras so I could get one for $1200.

I would like a great low light camera for carrying with me on vacation in the evenings when we are out for dinner. Something small and high quality for when I don't want to carry extra lenses.

Still not sure...EPL5 or X100s or wait for E-P5????

6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Chris, please stop these logical and informative posts. My GAS is starting up again....

2K is too much. How about the price in Australia? You could fly over for the weekend, collect the X100S and still save money. Not sure about availibility or duty free prices in Australia, but it may be worth considering.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hahha thanks for the "support" aka GAS.

Sorry my typos i was writing this while on the bus back home.

Yes the camera is awesome and i know that this year is going to give us, new of everything, new sonys, new fujis, new omd's, etc. but that philosophy of waiting is not my thing. I love taking photos and i take photos today not tomorrow!.

Again, i love my omd. Really. But, fuji is doing the same, better (iq wise!) and (important to some) cheaper.

All of this comes because im lookin for a second body for my OMD. for a big trip/honey moon we are doing starting april. And it bothers me that olympus is getting even more expensive at least here compared to a year ago (yes an omd is more expensive than a year ago). I know its awesome, but i gotta say is not the best out there and the compromises are that fuji for less price is finally doing things better, FOR ME.

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Alright i thought i would let you guys know that i finally pulled the trigger on a x100s for some reason got a deal at my fav brick and mortar store 300 less than i originally posted here. Though i had to buy it over the phone yesterday and didnt make it to the store because of work now ive gotta wait till tuesday to go get it due to easter weekend!!

Reason why got it.

The omd with the o17 here in nz goes for $2100 new. While the x100s got it for $1750 new. And also decided to give fuji a second chance!

So now my kit for my trip will be an omd with the o75 and a x100s!

9. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations Chris. Can't wait to see the street shots you'll make with that beautiful camera :smile:.

10. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Maybe if I tried one in real life I would want one. But it's not really a camera that appeals to my photographic interests. Great for street I'm sure, if that is your thing.

11. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
  12. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
  13. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I must admit this camera just tickles my gadget lust like no other.

14. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
    Does it really bother you that much that I used the term "epic fail" in year 2013?

15. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Great stuff Chris,

I would be interested in your thoughts on the X100S once you are comfortable with it. What intrigues me about this camera is the leaf shutter, high sync speed and the built in ND filter. Used together they can achieve some awesome results.

I agree that the Olympus prices seem to be on the rise in some countries. Although I would like to stay in M43, 90% of my photography is with the Oly 17mm FL. The X100S may be a great alternative considering the compact nature of the camera and the features it includes. To achieve the same results in M43 one would require filters and high speed flash. I have these but the additional bulk of using this combination when an alternative is available is something to consider for any future purchase.

16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thanks guys!. yeah ill do a mini review and maybe a comparison of sizing, speed and all that stuff.

@sokar for me to buy a second omd with a O17 was more expensive than getting the X100s, though i know i can still change that 17 if i need to. BUT, on the other hand the x100s has a bigger sensor with supposedly more resolution therefore bit more IQ than the OMD, but long story short now i have two bodies with spectacular cameras no doubt. lets see what i come up with!.

its in fact fun times to be taking pictures!.

17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Congrats Chris - be sure to join up over at FujiXSpot if you're so inclined, I like seeing familiar faces and sharing Fuji shots like we do m4/3 stuff here. I'm sure you'll enjoy the X100S a lot if you bond with it :smile:

18. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    funny you said that Jay, i just did!. ill be hanging around there soon! (after next tuesday)

:drinks: