Fuji X100S

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by xdayv, Jan 7, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm fascinated by early info from DPreview.
    "split-image" EVF overlay for manual focus using not a second lens but info from the phase sensor. Weird stuff. If it emulates the RF-patch properly it'll be awesome.
    (But this is Fuji : does anything work right at release time?)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Very interesting, and hopefully a significant improvement on the original. I was reading about the abilities of the leaf shutter in the original X100 yesterday, and saw some shots taken at midday in bright sunlight with significant fill flash. Very nice results.

The leaf shutter, built in ND filter and quicker AF may make this one a winner. I hope for the sake of mirrorless and Fuji it is a success. Healthy competition is a great thing in any market. Hopefully this raises the bar another level and M43 companies feel the need to match the competition.

The split screen focusing is interesting, and peaking as well. At least Fuji listen to customers and hopefully these functions work as advertised.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I loved the photos I got with my x100, but it's terrible af and slow everything killed it for me, but if that is actually fixed the x100s will be an amazing camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I'm very much enjoying my RX1, but the rangefinder approach with focus peaking could be really cool.
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    apparently it took them 2 years to get it right for once and for all. but im still afraid of fuji's machines. Ill wait to see the real person reviews this time.

but yes, im watching every step of this. now if they add all this new features to the XE1 I'd jump right away.

but gotta wait....
  7. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    after the firmware 1.2 update & above i never had problems with flash - took some shots of cyclists going up hill the other day no worries
    X100 was a winner -the 100S can only be better (you'd hope)

looking at preview the changes will make this a great classic camera -i really wanted the remote option on the first
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I will wait until after the first few professional reviews of the X100S come in as well as direct reports from early owners. Remember, there were a few bugs with the original X100. But Fuji has my attention on this one. Ditto the X20.
  9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Biro, I agree. The Fuji X100 was plagued with a lot of bugs, the good thing is Fuji resolved them with firmware updates. At least, the company listens to their customers, that's a good sign.

The X100S seems very promising...
  10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Seems very cool but overpriced IMHO. Definitely looking forward to seeing real-world sample images.

With all the adapted lens users (ยต43, NEX, etc.) screaming for focus peaking to aid in using adapted lenses, I really don't understand introducing focus peaking on a camera with a fixed lens.
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I would caveat that. My X100 has been driving me crazy recently with odd software bugs I haven't seen before. The other night for example I set the minimum shutter speed in auto ISO and then changed to a fixed ISO, then changed back to auto ISO but the camera didn't actually go into auto ISO (Checked the menu and it definitely said Auto ISO on). Turned it off and then on again and lo and behold auto ISO was active. It also has a habit of defaulting to custom setting 1 every time the camera is turned on. This one in particular makes the custom settings next to useless as in current conditions my low light set up is in custom setting 3 and every time I turn the camera on I have to go in and select custom 3. I honestly can't recall it doing this before so its driving me nuts.

I actually feel that 90+% of the stuff people complain about on the net with the X cameras are now minor issues bordering on nothing. The AF speed of my X100 on recent firmware for example really doesn't bother me much but some of the cameras quirks can drive me nuts sometimes.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new X100S is brilliant in many ways but as equally bug ridden as every other Fuji previous release with new tech in it.
  13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks for sharing with us your experiences, definitely will consider it before cashing out. It's I think best to wait it out and check real world user feedbacks and reviews.
  14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    ill throw the stone.

now...WHAT IF... they got it right straight away?

would that affect m43-land?
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Format switching and use of mulitple cameras and systems is already widespread, so I don't really see the X100s having more impact than an NEX 7 or X-E1 to give but two examples. It may even be less so given that we are talking about a fixed-lens camera here compared with an entire ILC system. If Fuji had some lower priced X-system bodies in the mold of a GX1 or E-PL5 happening, then they would be making some serious waves in terms of volume sales.

Of course, the affect of competion can often be a positive for development as long as the commitment to remain competitive is there.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I have always liked the look and feel of the X100, but I thought the price was too high for a single focal length camera, so I never pulled the trigger (got close a couple of times). So, I am really interested in the X100s, but again, I would definitely not buy it at full price, since I have no intention of giving up any of my m4/3 gear for it...
  17. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I am happy about the X100s announcement. Not because I'll buy the X100s but because the X100 might finally start selling for $500 (used).
  18. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm seriously interested in this camera.

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Personally not excited about a fixed lens, or 35mm EFL, but the inclusion of fast on-sensor PDAF is very encouraging. Anything that pushes Olympus and Panasonic to make my 4/3 lenses work well with their next generation is welcome!
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    If they can avoid all the stuff that makes owners annoyed it'll be a great product.
    Hey I'm not even interested in the nicely priced used X100 flooding the forums right now : I know I'd want to throw it against a wall sometime ... just from reading lots of unconnected posts over the last year.
    I really really hope Fuji have knuckled down and polished this new one before it ships : we'll soon know, look how many are going to buy it right away.