Fuji x100s or om-d?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marlon671, Jan 10, 2013.

1. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Good Morning folks!

Given the fact that the x100s is not out on the market yet, my research on this camera made me realize its much higher price point than the om-d was something to question. I do know that with the fuji x100s you are stuck with one focal length as it is not interchangeable... with that aside, watching reviews made this camera somewhat desireable.

I currently own the epm1 and i love this fun camera but i feel the need to upgrade as i did liquidate my nikon dslr and accessories to fund for a new camera. This past christmas has been nice to me so i have a couple of visa and bhphoto gift cards from my friends and fiance that i am holding onto. putting aside some cash with it. I was set with upgrading to the om-d as i see nothing but positive reviews on them.

However i am only a hobbyist (street, family party, and occasional portraits photography) and somewhat a minimalist. I find myself shooting my epm1 with the panny 14mm about 98% of the time.

This made me think that the x100s would work ok for me...

So i am torn, I love olympus as i have had 3 pens total and i am very familiar with its layout. I had my mind set on the om-d but ever since the x100s was announced, i am now confused...

If you were stuck in my shoes, what would be the deciding factor? Where should i spend my hard earned money?

oh and i love low light (no flash) photography as well... <BIG factor for me actually....
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi ..
    I will give u one simple advice.. A fixed lens camera , doesn't matter what it offers will never able to substitute and ILC .If you wanna have limited photography experience then X100s is an Exellent choice but if ur needs are differ widely then OMD is the way to go. You can pick up X100 for half the price and be happy .
    • Like Like x 2
  3. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Thank you for the reply. That is actually great advice. I really wanted to get pushed over to the om-d as i was standing on the middle line left food planted and right foot hanging over the om-d side =). I think the route i will go is the om-d... and then the x100 as a back pack camera for those times where i dont feel like slinging $1000+ on my neck... thanks! for a minute i forgot i can own more than one camera =)
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It depends what are you looking for that your current cameras do not give you that the OMD and/or X100s will. If the issue is that you have money burning a hole in your pocket and I were in your shoes I would probably spend the money on a lens like the PL25 and/or PL45 before I went for a new body.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    I realized i needed the extra external controls as i play around with settings alot. definately no hole in my pocket as i have to save up for these "toys". I like the 5 axis stabilization that the omd has. I also find the omd to be asthetically pleasing and suits the "retro" that im looking for (which the x100s was a bit ahead on this category).

When i shot the om-d and the pen side by side with the panny 14mm, i found the image quality on the om-d to be somewhat superior over the epm1. we did this by running both one the same settings. iAuto and aperture priority
    were the 2 we used.
  6. gshoe

gshoe New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2013
    Kansas City
    Greg Shoemaker
    Another vote here for the OM-D. I sold my D7000/Nikon gear and bought the X100 trying to simplify my photog experience. It seemed to be the camera I had been waiting for. In the end, I felt like I missed too many shots because of the Fuji AF system. Also, I really missed the option of different focal lengths. I have to say I am very pleased I sold the X100 and bought the OM-D. I wouldn't own both if I had the money to blow. Just throw on one of the fantastic pancake lenses and hit the trails if small is your goal. I love these dinky (compared to Nikon DX) prime lenses. As far as IQ, I am just as pleased as I was with the Fuji or the Nikon DX.
  7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I fail to understand why sooo many posts like these come to light of a Prime Fixed Lens Camera vs. a m43 Interchangeable Lens Camera continue to come up. Before ever deciding between a set of cameras, the buyer needs to decide what matters most to them and then see whats avaialble:

1. Mirrorless vs. dSLR
    2. ILC vs. Fixed Prime Lens vs. Fixed Zoom
    3. Sensor Size (1inch, m43, Fovean, APS, Full Frame)
    4. Camera Size and Weight
    5. Lens Options

For the above.. No one can recommend what meets your personal needs. Once you have those narrowed down, then other enthusiasts can help narrow down options and advantages and disadvantages of a particular DIRECT comparison as each camera has its strengths and weakness. There is no perfect camera yet..

It's almost impossible to say which one to get .. totally user preference. Those 2 cameras are 2 very different beasts.

Why are you not more interested in whether to get a Fuji X100s vs. Sigma DP1m??

Why are you not more interested in whether to get a Fuji X100s vs. Sony RX100 or RX1?

Or at least, why are you not more interested in the Fuji ILC option of the Fuji XE-1?

The real strength of the OM-D is the 5-axis stablization, immediate Single AutoFocus, weather sealing and selection of amazing Prime lens and above average zooms.

For a retro, hipster, fixed lens 35mm.. the Fuji x100s is nice and will produce just as good if not a touch better IQ.

For me based on your post.. Id get a EPL5-20mm combo, sell the EPM1-14mm (which is no where near the 35mm focal Angle of View). The weather sealing doesnt seem to be an issue for you, the viewfinder doesnt seem as an issue for you and 5-axis either if you not missing a lot of shots so the OM-D is probably overkill. With a soon to be announced m43 from Olympus that may have some sort of Phase Detect autofocus and higher end OM-D or PEN, I would say its probably the wrong time to upgrade to an OM-D.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I would recommend the OM-D as well. I know you are probably going to get a lot of biased answers here, but that doesn't mean that they aren't accurate.

I have an OM-D, and I have had an X100. I was drawn to the IQ of the X100 and the OVF/EVF. The X100 took great pictures, but I did not like the fixed focal length. I just had more fun with the OM-D as well. It is super responsive, and it is a joy to shoot with.
    I didn't find the X100 to be too bad of a focuser. It struggled with anything close, but it was generally spot on and very quick from about 2 feet on, anything closer required me to switch to the macro mode. I did love the silent shutter of the X100, but the OM-D has a pretty quiet shutter.

The X100s looks pretty awesome. It seems to focus super fast, and if you could live with the 35mm, it might be the camera for you.

I said that the fixed focal length was limiting, but it is strange that I can go long periods of time not switching lenses. I probably leave the 50mm 1.4 on my OM-D 85% of the time.... maybe they need to make a 50mm X100....

Good luck with the camera search!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Simply because these are the 2 cameras that interests me the most. I did just read that there might be a new pen implemented with the 5 axis technology. We shall see.
  10. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I know a few guys who had the X100 and I think all of them has sold it and gotten an OM-D instead.

I am sure there are reason to love the X100s but it is a niche product. You really need to ask yourself if having a camera that only works for a set envelope is enough for your needs. If not something that can change lenses might be a better choice.
  11. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. At this point the om-d might be my route... if the x100 was a bit cheaper than the om-d then it would have made sense to me.
  12. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    wide angle you mention 14 or 28 equiv ? so that is close to the X100s

for back packing and such or true travel around with me camera I would choose a sony DSC-XR100 quite a few pro buddies have picked them up and the pics are awesome !

I want to see how the focus works on the new X100s if the Phase on chip works well since I have kids that would be a great park day camera

my reasons for loving the OMD is changing lens and being able to put a good flash on and radio triggers its a true DSLR replacement system and I say unless you are getting paid or shooting super fast kids or sports the thing is better than a DSLR for its size and 5 way IBIS and tilt screen

so if you find most of your shots are in that range of the X100s it might be the camera to get and get a sony RX100 which offers you a zoom range and even more portable setup to reach out and get some shots you might want ? and maybe keep on you a touch more than the fuji ? or that might be overkill ?

one thing did you ever find yourself wanting a viewfinder ? if not that new EPL5 or whatever the model is with the same chip as the OMD just not as nice IBIS and no viewfinder might be the happy mid point to the fuji and the OMD ?

it is a personal thing and I want a fuji if the focus works on moving things better than the OMD as a option for the park day kinda thing
  13. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    ditto a lot of folks I know have or had a X100 the main thing was focus sucked !

files were great but focus sucked so I would wait to see if its better

I do think the fuji is more aimed as a second or third kinda camera than a primary or niche as gotak mentioned

if I was looking at fuji as my only it would be the Xe1 which is something to think about also ?

or honestly again something like the sony RX100 which is a awesome little camera
  14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have OMD for only a month and love it, after read all the reviews about the new Fujifilm x100s, I do like it's features, especially Fuji's colors.

I was Canon user and have sold all my gear, my setting is OMD, 12mm f2.0, 45mm f1.8, 9-18mm, 12-50mm, 40-150mm, still thinking getting either panny's 25mm f1.4 or the Oly's 35mm f1.8, maybe just get the fuji x100s instead, lol
  15. marlon671

marlon671 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    True. Fixed lens wont keep u wanting more lenses. But what if u need another body for lenses?! Haha
  16. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Random question: what's the best forum for active x100/x100s discussion?

I've seen a few topics on rangefinderforum, seriouscompacts but that's about it.
  17. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I had an X100 for two years and loved it. Still, when the MFT system finally got a good 35mm equivalent I sold the X100 and got an OMD with 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. The advantages are the flip screen, IBIS, more video control, and, the biggest, an 85/90mm equivalent option.

Still, the X100 will always appeal to me, and the S version looks to have resolved all my complaints. If they came out with one with an 85mm equivalent I'd most likely sell my MFT kit and carry a 35mm X100s and an 85mm X100s.
  18. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    When I was an x100 owner I would go to Fuji X Forum
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011

If you just want to shoot with one lens, then both the OM-D and the Fuji can accomodate that desire. If, even if it's only one occasion, you desire to shoot with a different lens, only the OM-D can deliver on that..

20. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    I disagree Gary, the Fuji IQ is clearly superior in my experience. The main noticeable areas were high ISO and functional dynamic range because of much cleaner and more pushable shadows on the Fuji.

Edit: I see you edited your message, I was addressing the comment that IQ is pretty equal.