Fuji X100 samples

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
Just got an ETA for my X100 order here in Australia - 18th March :)

Interestingly, compared to the kit it will be replacing (E-PL1 + 20/1.7 + VF-2) it will both perform better and cost less! Of course I won't get retail back for my existing kit, but when viewed from the perspective of a new purchaser, it really is a no-brainer.

Plus I can sell my Softlander 50/1.1, some money there too.

I had a dream about the X100 last night, playing with the OVF...

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
This is a most unusual thread, only three posters. All three are photographers that actually take pictures. All three are in agreement. The thread is basically about a camera that doesn't exist. Well, it exits as a prototype and it most certainly will exist but as of right now … :frown:

The lack of difference in opinions makes me wonder is it that people that take pictures are different from people that collect cameras? :grouphug:

Or is ti that a sampling of three is just to small? :confused:

I personally don't have much use for a fixed lens camera. Thats why I haven't commented.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
it's hard to get this baby out of my head but I think I'm going to hold off...
as successful as it may be...
I think I'll wait for the e-p3? (with baited breath...)

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
it's hard to get this baby out of my head but I think I'm going to hold off...
as successful as it may be...
I think I'll wait for the e-p3? (with baited breath...)

I was originally going to wait for the pro Olympus m43 camera (especially if it had manual controls like the X100) but I think I remember reading it's been pushed back til late this year.

The latest reports are that the AF is faster than some entry-level SLRs, i.e. on par with the GH2 + 14-140 and the mid-range SLRs. That solves my main complaint with the E-PL1, so I never considered "wait and see" as an option for me...

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
Also if a person is willing to spend 1200 for a fixed lens camera wouldn't this also put the Leica X1 on ones radar as well?

BK

Quite the opposite - it just took the Leica X1 OFF everyone's radar, since the X100 is tremendously superior in every single way (except for the badge.)

In fact, everyone I know with an X1 immediately sold theirs off as soon as the X100 hit the news

chylld

Mu-43 Regular

DCW had this up 3 days 10 hours ago, but for a lower price - $1099. Within about 30 minutes or so they had sold all of their allocation of 10 for the first round. I got spot #6 and a friend got spot #4 :)

A handful of other shops in Australia are also accepting pre-orders, but by now you've already missed out on the first round. Pricing is generally around $1100-1150 - much cheaper than anywhere else in the world

southcol

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi guys,
Saw an ad at Cheap Digital Cameras, Super Cheap Cameras. Fuji x100 going for $1099. Has anyone bought from there? A check on whirlpool forum did not yield much info on the company. I'm not sure if i should order from them or pay an additional $100 to get it from DCW which has a physical store. Any advise on this? cheers! :smile:

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
Hi guys,
Saw an ad at Cheap Digital Cameras, Super Cheap Cameras. Fuji x100 going for $1099. Has anyone bought from there? A check on whirlpool forum did not yield much info on the company. I'm not sure if i should order from them or pay an additional $100 to get it from DCW which has a physical store. Any advise on this? cheers! :smile:

They're fine :) I suggest you don't hesitate too much, small shops like this and DCW will only get 10 each for the first shipment.

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
I guess with the Aussie dollar above parity with the US dollar it makes things a bit cheaper for us also.

It remains to be seen how cheap it will be in smaller US shops though - the only US pricing I've seen has been based on pre-release info, and the X100 was cheaper there (US1200 v AU1300). We'll see very soon though, so this is just another useless speculative post

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Nothing is ever useless. I'm hearing from dealers in my area of the USA that a price point is between $1150.00-$1300.00.

Of course the ebay gougers will have it at around $1400+.....
nonsense I say, pure nonsense....

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
More Fuji X100 samples

There are more X100 samples at Dpreview.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 beta samples gallery: Digital Photography Review

The high ISO stuff is very good indeed. 6400 looks almost too good to be true.

It would be interesting to hear what others think, but there's stuff there that still looks soft and flat to me. Whether it's because they are jpgs. I don't know, and at the moment I don't know of any way to get access to any raw files I can open. The samples posted so far seem to vary somewhat. I certainly didn't get anything approaching a "wow" factor from this latest batch, apart from the high ISO stuff.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
David, I looked through them yesterday and thought that some really looked quite good but I wasn't expecting to be bowled over by too many. Granted, we all look for different things in sample photographs.

There's a really nice review to be found here at Digital Camera Info thanks to a member over on Serious Compacts. I was so happy to be reading that, that my enthusiasm quotient was quite high.:biggrin:

I've been following Mio Cade's Flickr stream and found a number of his Fuji X100 photos to be quite nice, indeed. Again, it's a preproduction model...and he doesn't seem to have the X100 photos in a set, at least I haven't noticed it...so one needs to scroll back in time.

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There's a really nice review to be found here at Digital Camera Info

What concerns me is that everybody is getting excited over the look of the camera, and I certainly can't claim to be immune to its charms, but ultimately its the picture quality that I'm looking to assess. I've yet to see anything that its produced that even equals the Leica X1 for example.

However even if this is the best it gets, it would be a wonderful camera for someone who works in low light situations. It will be a lot faster and more versatile than the X1, and the high ISO samples I've seen are stunning.

I just think a 12MP camera, with what we hope is a high quality fixed lens and costing around £1000 should be producing a higher quality image. That fixed lens is going to be very limiting, and consequently its going to have be very good. Plus £1000 gets you an awful lot of something else.

Maybe the raw files and the final firmware will yield really stunning results, and I really hope that they do. My fear is that we might end up with a "posing camera" that produces decent but unremarkable pictures. Fuji are pushing the "professional" angle very strongly but this "professional" certainly isn't convinced yet.

icase81

Mu-43 Regular
If they made this in m4/3, I'd buy it in an instant. I have too many m3/4 lenses and accessories to trade them for this, and I don't think I could justify buying it with a prime fixed lens just because of how the body looks, unfortunately.

I'm actually surprised Fuji hasn't made a m4/3 body yet. They've worked with Oly in the past (xD cards).

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
If they made this in m4/3, I'd buy it in an instant. I have too many m3/4 lenses and accessories to trade them for this, and I don't think I could justify buying it with a prime fixed lens just because of how the body looks, unfortunately.

I'm actually surprised Fuji hasn't made a m4/3 body yet. They've worked with Oly in the past (xD cards).

I'm not clear on which part of "THIS" you mean? It could be very similar to this if it was a fixed lens single focal length camera with a 4/3 sensor. But you still wouldn't be able to use your lenses and other goodies (well, maybe a flash - the evf obviously wouldn't be of any use). And if you meant they should make this with a 4/3 sensor and interchangeable lenses, how would it be different from a gf or ep???

Or do you just mean the external controls and hybrid viewfinder? The controls could certainly be done on an m43 body, but I have no idea how well the hybrid viewfinder could be done with interchangeable and/or zoom lenses. It might be possible but I have my doubts... The evf could certainly work - maybe the optical could only snap open with lenses in the 17-20mm range?

-Ray

icase81

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not clear on which part of "THIS" you mean? It could be very similar to this if it was a fixed lens single focal length camera with a 4/3 sensor. But you still wouldn't be able to use your lenses and other goodies (well, maybe a flash - the evf obviously wouldn't be of any use). And if you meant they should make this with a 4/3 sensor and interchangeable lenses, how would it be different from a gf or ep???

Or do you just mean the external controls and hybrid viewfinder? The controls could certainly be done on an m43 body, but I have no idea how well the hybrid viewfinder could be done with interchangeable and/or zoom lenses. It might be possible but I have my doubts... The evf could certainly work - maybe the optical could only snap open with lenses in the 17-20mm range?

-Ray

By this i meant that body, with that look, but with an m4/3 sensor and lens mount. As it stands now, I really don't have the budget to spend however many hundreds of dollars on a fixed lens camera with a small sensor, no matter how beautiful the images are, seeing as its ~ 5.5x crop factor. I think the body is beautiful, and I've had 2 different Fuji digital cameras that I enjoyed (over 5 years ago).

Latest threads

Top Bottom