fuji x100 companion to OMD

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dino1891, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Is anyone else thinking of trying out the x100 for the relatively cheap price? Used prices have gone down quite a bit now that the x100s will start shipping out next week in the US. I was hoping that I could buy a new one at the $700 to $800 price point but it seems like it is so popular that big stores like Adorama, BH, and Amazon were able to sell all their stock without having to drop the price below $999. I just ordered a "like new" x100 for $550 from amazon warehouse. I took the last one at that price. I occasionally checked throughout the week and it was at $700. When I saw that there was "only 1 left" at that price, I literally ordered it within seconds. I was corresponding with a local craigslister who was selling his 6 month old Limited Edition Black x100. I was able to talk him down to $760 but in the end, even though the black x100 is sexy, I could not justify the extra cost even with the cool black leather case and lens hood which I would rarely use.

I like the 35mm FOV for my street shooting. Fairly recently my girlfriend wanted to dip her toes in photography..well I sort of convinced her into trying it out in hopes that we could go take pictures together. Instead of buying a point and shoot, I suggested a second-hand EPM1 since we would be able to share lenses. Her favorite lens happens to be my Olympus 17mm f1.8 (which she payed for most of it) because she thinks its "really pretty" and "feels expensive", so she has been using that lens pretty often.

So I thought about purchasing another copy of the Olympus 17mm f1.8 but then thought that if the price was right, I would try out the x100. I held a demo for the first time a week ago at B&H and it was awesome. Since I have the OMD as my primary camera and I like to zone focus for street shooting, I also wasn't really worried about the slower AF speed. The x100 seems perfect as a companion camera because I don't think I could pay the full $1200-$1300 for the x100s as a companion camera.
  2. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've been giving some serious consideration to the X100s. I looked at the X100 at the end of last year and the XE-1 but the focus just wasn't good enough, compared to the OM-D.

The X100s seems to be getting rave reviews and Fuji seemed to have fixed the AF. eBay has the X100s at $1200. Thats very tempting but so is the EPL5 and perhaps the future EP5.

However the viewfinder on the Fuji, combined with its great IQ and compact size is very tempting. My birthday is coming up next month and the Fuji X100s may be on my birthday wish list.
  3. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I was in a similar situation, except I didn't have a 17 or 25mm lens at all. The 17mm just had come out and it costs 550 euros here and the Panasonic 25mm is 525 euros, and right around that time somebody posted a local ad selling an X100 here for 570 euros. I jumped on it.

What can I say? Yes the autofocus is slow, yes manual focus sucks. BUT. Its such a nice camera. Starting from the box it came in and ending with the shutter speed/exposition/aperture dials. Its just such a pleasure to use. These days I take it to all personal events (parties and stuff like that). After using it a bit, I was honestly thinking of moving to the Fuji X system, the only thing that kept me was the lack of any long lenses.

I don't regret the purchase one bit, and the best thing is, I can give the camera to my girlfriend so she has something super high quality to use while I get the main kit.

The X100s seems like a nice incremental upgrade, but honestly, there's no way I'm upgrading. You really have to use this camera a lot to justify that price difference for that camera difference. Maybe when the X200 comes out and there's a more solid improvement.
  4. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    I am currently in this exact dilemma. Really want to pick up a used X100 at a good price instead of getting a 17mm/1.8 lens for my OMD. Perhaps I should have when I saw a local Craigslist ad selling it for $650!! :(
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I sold my PL25 1.4 and picked up used X100 for AU650 and was very happy with it. I loved it but then I saw the black X100 ...oh gosh..so sexy , I sold sliver and waited to black one to appear on ebay and just won one . Its a nice small camera . AF is not that bad as reported on online forums . Many things on internet are crap about many cameras , so ignore it. I dont know how much practical difference new X100s will make to anybody's photography skills but X100 is more than enough:2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mytola

Mytola Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Two cameras is better than one. I use the X100 and OM-D together most of the time, and I love them both. Having both with me at once means that I don't have to change lenses on my OM-D, so I can be ready with both the 35mm equiv and the 75mm 1.8 at the same time.
  7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I almost stumbled on the black limited edition, how are you finding it? Does it take better photos because it just looks better? :drinks: