Fuji X100 and/or Olympus 12mm f2

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by mazstar1980, May 6, 2012.

1. mazstar1980

mazstar1980 New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    I'm currently a Nikon D90 user and after using a E-PM1 on a holiday am a EVIL convert.

I decided to sell my E-PM1, I need more control, VF and I don't like the excessive noise. After looking at samples of OM-D and X100, I'm keen on getting one or both of those.

I own a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 and was thinking of using it with an OM-D and later upgrading to 45mm. I know the 12mm gets a lot of props but was wondering whether it would be better to get the X100 which is only marginally more expensive.

I know I'm trying to compare apples to oranges but just looking for ideas and opinions. I'm thinking it might be overkill having a D90, OM-D and a X100. I know 35mm vs 24mm is different but they're both street lenses, except with the Fuji you get a great (apparently) camera to boot.
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Get the OM-D & all the ยต4/3 primes :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    First, both the OMD (with the right lenses, which you seem to have or plan to get) and X100 are capable of outstanding IQ - better in both cases that your D90 - however, they're both very different. Regardless of what I say or what others say, choosing between the two will come down to personal taste - your personal taste. I bought an X100 and hated it - others love it...

So, here's what I reckon...

- If you get the OMD, and continue to build your MFT lens collection, it's going to end up replacing your D90. It's better built, smaller, better IQ, more resolution, faster to operate, faster single-AF, and so on and so forth... The only thing the D90 will do better is continuous-AF.

- The OMD + Lumix 20/f1.7 is going to give you a package that is very close to the X100 in a lot of ways (physical size, field of view, lens speed, all-round IQ) - but, it has none of the bugs, is much faster to operate and much faster to focus, and allows the use of other lenses. From personal experience I also think it's better built.

If it suits your style of shooting I'd look seriously at building a MFT with the following:
    OMD EM5
    m.ZD 12/f2
    Lumix 20/f1.7
    m.ZD 45/f1.8

Unless you just love the style I don't see a place for the X100.
  4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    X100 and OM-D

Nick is perfectly correct in what he says, but as an X100 user, I'd like to add a couple of points.

Since I got my X100, I simply don't use my D7000 at all, and am going to sell it to finance an OM-D. BUT, and it's a big but, you have to be able to live with the X100's focal length and with its not-too-fast autofocus. The AF has been much improved with new firmware, and it's fine for me (I'm a focus and recompose type).

What I find great about the X100 is the tactile experience and the controls: I never need to go into a menu while shooting, and I can see the settings before I even switch it on.

I'll be carrying both OM-D and X100: two bodies for backup, less lens changing. Together they weigh less than my D7000 and two zooms.

I would suggest you try an X100 for a day or two until you find whether you're like Nick or like me :)

But I can't wait to add the OM-D to my (small) bag.
  5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    I have had the X100 for over a year. It's a great little camera but it is very limited. The OM-D will be a much more versatile and satisfying camera. I think of the X100 as a camera for someone who already had a good camera and wants something extra for when they don't want to carry their big DSLR or just to shoot with at night etc.
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    2nd vote for X100

I have to second the vote for the X100 - it is a superb tactile camera that reminds me of the Leica M3 of old.

The results from the X100 are staggering and I have to admit that they are better than those I used to get from my since departed Leica M8.2 + 28mm and up to 3200 it can hold it's own against my D700.

As has been mentioned already, it has it's quirks but since firmware 1.21 many of those including AF has been dramatically improved - it is not a camera for sport but good for all other shooting and lack of zoom serves to encourage the user to think, study composition and move more but the results justify the means.

As much as I love my Mu43 kit (GX1 with 16meg same sensor as in OMD), the IQ from the X100 is in a very different league.

My X100 image selection can be seen here -
    571 Photography: Fuji X100 - A product of beauty and substance

Good luck with the decision making process.
  7. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've been seriously contemplating an X100 myself really probably to replace rather than support my MFT kit but while the image quality looks amazing and the build/handling seem cracking too I do worry a little about having the fixed focal length.

That said the 35mm (35mm equivalent) focal length is quite close to what I like to use so I may re-consider.
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Looks like a lot of people favor the X100

So in that light, why not go full bore then and get the XPro-1 ....
  9. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The price! Lol
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Hmmm I dunno.,..OP hasn't mentioned much about how much $$ is a factor...
  11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Chris, download one of the freeware EXIF analysis tools and run it against a representative selection of your photos. You can see what proportion of your shots are at the X100 length +/- 15%.
  12. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Cheers, will do! Found a program although it doesn't help that I've been using manual lenses quite a lot!!!!
  13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All this talk about what to get comparing oranges to apples with no explanation of what you want to shoot..... Seems to me like we are just feeding the desire acquire more gear with no clear direction.

If it were me.... knowing my habits of shooting...

* I'd skip on the x100. My cousin has one... I found it quirky and nothing like an M Leica like I shoot with. Slow to autofocus and IQ similar to that of the E-P3.
    * Buy a used E-P3, sell the E-PM1. OP sounds like the original purchase of the E-PM1 was a bad decision to begin with. Especially if they already found it limiting in terms of control. E-PM1 is still current model so you should get a good amount for it. There are lots of people offloading the E-P3 to move to the EM5. As such used E-P3 should be easy to find. I tried the E-PM1, way too small for me.
    * Buy 12mm f/2. Cameras come and go.... Lenses hold value and last for a long time. Another reason why I wouldn't invest into a lens that is permanently attached to a camera. The 12mm strikes me as a lens that will be useful and hold value for a very very very long time. I'm also a 24mm shooter in general. For most cases except when the body is so very obsolete an opportunity to buy glass vs body is almost always best to get the glass.... its a no brainer. And the sensor in the E-P3 and E-PM1 for that matter are far from obsolete.
    * Keep the D90. As much as I like micro 4 3, I don't find it a complete replacement to the DSLR system. One of the biggest reasons why I bought the OMD was because I long sold my Canon 1dmarkII + all its L lenses thus I don't have a DSLR. There are times that I wanted a system that AF well... my old E-PL1 just didn't fit that need. The OMD was purchase to fill that gap in leu of a DSLR. When it comes to high ISO shooting, I would still give the advantage to the D90 over the x100 and micro 4 3.

So in summary:

D90 + lenses - Faster tracking than micro 43 AF and wide array of fast zooms that simply are not available natively on the Micro 4 3 system.

E-P3 + primes including the 12mm - Compact alternative to the D90 DSLR.

Between a micro 4 3 system and a DSLR I see no need for a fixed lens P&S even a high end one.
  14. Jonspanki

Jonspanki New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    I have actually bought and sold/returned the X100 twice now.
    The first time, I was comparing it to an E-PL2 with 14mm and 20mm.
    The second time, I was comparing it to an E-P3 with the same lenses.

Some random thoughts:
    - X100 has great IQ (as you know) - at low ISOs the Oly 12mp sensor is similar, but X100 high ISO output is much better (1600/3200 and above).
    - Subjective, but I felt the 20mm is a sharper/better lens than the X100 lens.
    - I found the X100 AF infuriating. Even on FW 1.21 (which was an improvement AF-wise) I found the AF to miss focus and hunt a lot using center point focus. Even the E-PL2 with 20mm (relatively quite slow focusing) felt faster and more reliable.
    - X100 AF was less newbie friendly - the multi-point AF mode was unreliable and often made poor focusing decisions (why focus on the back of the room when there are faces in the foreground?). I felt that I couldn't justify keeping a $1k-1.2k camera if a point-and-shoot user couldn't take photos with it reliably.
    - X100 has a lot of positives... Hybrid OVF, manual controls, natural looking fill flash, leaf shutter, OOC JPEGs, high ISO performance and styling are amazing. Also, when the camera gets photos right, it REALLY gets them right. (Looking through my collection of X100 keepers was what made me buy it the 2nd time)

I've sold the old Oly bodies and am currently using an E-M5 with the 12mm, 14mm and 20mm.
    The great IQ of the E-M5 (finally comparable at all practical ISOs to the X100), IBIS, AF speed and accuracy (with the 12mm and 14mm is leagues ahead of the X100), articulating touchscreen functionality, ability to change lenses, burst modes, etc, leave with no desire to go back to the X100.
  15. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    I had X100 twice. The IQ and general concept is great. But when the camera broke (sticky aperture, of course) in the middle of my trip to Perugia I decided to go back to m43 and forget X100. It's not a reliable camera in my opinion. Yes, I had backup (XZ-1) but shooting X100 and XZ-1 is different world...

So I decided to get back to m43 and bought GX1 & 12/2 and I'm happy with it :)
  16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    You should search for some of Ray's posts around here on the E-M5 for street work. He also has the X100 and XPro1.

It would seem the OM-D and X100 would make a pretty great kit. The E-M5 speed and tilt screen and insta-focus would make for a pretty great street machine. The X100 would be cool for when you want to go minimalist (a tad bit more compact).

I love my Olympus 12mm, but I am not sure you need to go that wide for street? You could always grab a Pana 14mm instead... cheaper, smaller, more discrete.