Fuji X-T20

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ijm5012, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm surprised nobody has made a thread on this yet. Fuji released their X-T20 today, and it looks to be a pretty damn good camera IMO. New features include:
    • X-T2 AF system (vastly improved over previous Fuji X cameras)
    • 4K video
    • Touchscreen (finally)
    • 24MP sensor
    • Body-only cost of $900
    Downsides I see with the camera are:
    • Lack of weather sealing
    • Smaller EVF
    All-in-all, it seems like it's a pretty good little camera. The X-T10 was a direct competitor to E-M5 II. With the release of the X-T20, the E-M5 II is noticeably lacking in some areas (C-AF, resolution, video) while still being superior in others (larger EVF, weather sealing). I wonder if this camera will expedite the launch of the E-M5 II, moving it from a presumed Q1 2018 release to Q3 or Q4 of 2017?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Olympus needs to start churning out that 20mp sensor in all their cameras moving forward. I also really want to see the same phase detect AF of the E-M1 II at least trickle to the E-M5 III. It doesn't need the machine gun FPS, it just needs to track better. The Sony A6500/6300 does a pretty good job at that.

Saying that, I don't really need any of those features and I'll probably get a Pen-F once the price drops from the E-M5 III release! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Competition is heating up. Wonder what Nikon has up its sleeve for its 100ty birthday this year.

That's a great price.

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    So many cameras, so little money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Who knows, maybe another Dinosaur SLR that spits oil on the mirror/sensor when you use it? lol

I agree, $900 for the X-T20 is a good price, especially when paired with their new series of f/2 primes. $450 for the 23/2, $400 for the 35/2, and $450 for the 50/2.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    A Df2 from what I understand. Supposedly with a much better AF system(that found in the D750) and the D5 sensor.

We might even finally see the 3 DL cameras too, which we should be hearing more from around March.

8. Sam0912

Sam0912 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
  9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Good catch. Wow, the X-T20 is shaping up to be a very, very nice camera.

10. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I've been looking pretty hard at this one as well. I've contemplated trying out a Fuji camera many times, but I'm pretty invested in m43 lenses. That sensor seems pretty nice, and it seems like they kept an awful lot more than they got rid of from the xt2 for quite a lot less money. Anyone with both fuji and m43 care to weigh in?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've tried Fuji several times. Never clicked with it. I don't think this changes anything for me anyway.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have been using an XT10 for a while and have the XT20 on pre-order. I think it sounds like a great body for only $899 USD. I just didn't think to mention it on the mu43 forum. I'm also impressed with the new set of Fuji f2 lenses. They are finally optimizing APS-C lenses for size and these new lenses aren't much bigger than mu43 lenses. Fuji's system is improving quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    From looking through the press release, there is no mention of weather sealing...no biggie for me.

Nice to see an increase in phase detection points as well as the Acros film simulation. This s a tempting camera for sure.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I really don't think it does. Maybe it's "weather-sealed" in the way that the A7 II or the A6300 are. I wouldn't trust it even a little bit. Here's the difference in how Fuji describes the X-T20 and the X-T2.

• Weather and dust resistant; operates as low as 32 degrees Fahrenheit \ 0 degrees Celsius (X-T20)
    vs.

• Dust and moisture-resistant body with approximately 63 points of weather sealing; Freeze resistance to 14°F (X-T2)
    Not a single mention of "moisture" on the X-T20, let alone saying splash-proof the way Olympus and Panasonic do ("To be tough enough to withstand even heavy field use, the LUMIX G85 features a rugged design and splash / dustproof construction." They seem to stand behind their weather-sealed bodies in a much more real way.

15. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    biggest negative of all: its still an xtrans sensor, and yes, ive tried 'em--each iteration. had fuji chosen to stick with and improve the bayer sensor of the original x100, i'd be in my third generation by now and wouldve spent a ton on lenses. as it is, im still hangin on to the ol' x as the backup to my pentax. although many can rightly differ over xtrans, my bet is many many more avoid fuji specifically because of xtrans than those who buy in specifically because of xtrans.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think it's a nice enough body, especially for those who really disliked the 16MP X-Trans sensor, but can stand the 24MP one (which appears to suffer from far fewer artifacts, and is generally a big leap in performance). But other than that, I'm not sure it really makes a big difference in the market.

As I see it, it basically brings Fuji's mid-range body up to par with the Sony A6300. Both have essentially the same sensor, and fast PDAF. The A6300 has better video and faster burst rates, whereas the X-T20 has better controls and a touchscreen. Neither have weather-sealing, neither have IBIS, neither have big EVFs, or fully-articulated LCDs. (That latter point may be a plus for some people, I guess).

Basically, if the X-T20 satisfies you, you were probably already satisfied by the A6300 (as long as you were happy with Sony's lens line-up), or even the X-T1 / X-T10. Otherwise, you're still missing a lot of the functionality that makes the G85, GX8, and E-M5 II stalwarts in their price class. Yes, the sensor performance isn't top-notch, but all three of those bodies have versatility, functionality, ruggedness, and usability locked down.

The most significant feature that I see here is Fuji's adoption of a touchscreen on a "serious" body. That's good progress. I for one, am not interested in spending $1200 CDN on any body without weather-sealing, especially not when I can get the G85 up here for the same price with a 12-60mm weather-sealed kit lens...

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Don't be silly!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    The XT20 doesn't have that wonderful EVF of other models though. There are certain little things like that which differentiate it and get people switching over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So long as you're not bound to converting RAW files via ACR, I think it's better optically than many m43 cameras. The 24MP sensor is fantastic, as is the quality of Fuji's glass. Hell, the JPEG's are even fantastic if you don't feel like bothering with RAW at all.

Having said that, I'd agree that the weather sealing on this camera likely isn't as robust as that of the E-M5 II. Also, while many people bitch about the E-M5 II only having a 16MP sensor, I still find it to be damn good. The biggest downside of the 16MP sensor for me is that a lot of my shots end up being cropped to 3:2, which renders a 14MP image at best. With the latest APS-C sensors, I would get a native 3:2, 24MP sensor, which would be nice.

As nice as all of that sounds, there's far more to a camera than just the final image. The way a camera handles and how customizable it is plays a HUGE roll in how happy the user is, and this is where I find Olympus and Panasonic to be wonderful. Seemingly endless customizability, great ergonomics (for the most part).

If the end result was all that mattered, we'd all be driving a Toyota Prius. Reliable, Safe, Fuel Efficient. But my god is it boring. Sometimes it's more about how you get there rather than just getting there...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Don't forget the legendary Olympus IBIS that Fuji has admitted they can't add to their bodies so they'll have to depend solely on OIS.

• Agree Agree x 3