Fuji X-T1 Rumors and Release (1/28/14)

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Haven't seen much discussion about this, so I figured that I would start a new thread.

The X-T1 (rumored name) is Fuji's "me too" retro-SLR-styled mirrorless cameras, following on the footsteps of the Olympus OM-D line, the Sony A7/A7R and, to a lesser extent, the Nikon Df.

X-T1_zps86f3c1e1.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Current rumors (per fujirumors.com) are:

- announcement January 28th
- bigger (extra-large) and better (high performance) EVF
- APS-C X-Trans sensor II (16MP)
- support for the UHS-II SD-card for super-fast writing speed
- 8fps with AF tracking
- weather sealed body
- tilt screen
- FujicaST-like (SLR-type) design
- price range between X-E and X-PRO line
- additional battery grip
- faster AF then X-E2

Should be interesting!

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
Is AF the only "Achilles Heel" of the Fuji system?

The sensor doesn't always get on with Adobe products and the flash system is the worst I've encountered in many years. Plus the AF is a couple of generations behind m43.

On the other hand the lenses are mostly stellar. The handling is great. And when the lousy low light af actually locks the high ISO performance is excellent.

Gordon

drewbot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hopefully some early adopter will buy this and put up their E-M1 on the classifieds. I would really like a 2nd one.

madtownkeith

Mu-43 Regular
The sensor doesn't always get on with Adobe products and the flash system is the worst I've encountered in many years. Plus the AF is a couple of generations behind m43.

On the other hand the lenses are mostly stellar. The handling is great. And when the lousy low light af actually locks the high ISO performance is excellent.

Gordon

The lenses seem pretty expensive too.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
First image of X-T1:

X_zpsd592314c.png

Teaser on Fuji webpage.

Looks like a very nice design with lots of direct controls.

Ulysses

Mu-43 Regular
If only Fuji could come up with an 85mm (eq.) f1.2 for $1,600, instead of $1,000.

In what way(s) does the current 56mm f/1.2 fall short for you? I haven't read very many reviews about it, as I've been concentrating more on the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think that was sarcasm...I'm curious to see what they come up with, even though I'm not really interested in another camera system. Maybe an x100s one day, to have a silent shooting hybrid VF camera, but that's purely gear lust.

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In what way(s) does the current 56mm f/1.2 fall short for you? I haven't read very many reviews about it, as I've been concentrating more on the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2.

Posted a link below, was going to comment directly to you..

Anyways, check the link out.
Honestly, and.. probably I will get hell for saying this here, but the samples look better than the Panasonic Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 to me.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Gordon

The AF on the non phase detect cameras is slower than their own P&S stuff from the 2005-to current! I have an X100 and X-E1 and they are PITIFUL slow. The X-E2 is supposed to be faster, but I have yet to see anyone rave about performance. There are now P&S cameras doing a focus, lock and shoot in the 0.200 second range. The Fujis are in the .500 range.

Personally I like the flash system, it does a fantastic job of balancing ambient light with flash. That said the remote functionality seems to be non competitive with the big boys.

IMO the real Fuji advantages is are:
-Amazing Jpegs. Hard to quantify, but they are just so life like. A lot of (non CCD) cameras just have that cartoon look. Colors are perfect, no strange color shifts. You open lightroom and wonder how you could make them better, and usually can't.
-Best white balance of any camera I've ever laid hands on (and I've owned a ridiculous amount). Again, images look like they did in real life. Instead of taking a tungsten lit scene and making someones socks look bleach white, they look like they did in person.
-Aperture/Shutter Speed/Exp comp dials are how every camera should be. PASM modes seem silly now.
-1 stop advantage in low light to similar sized sensors (when the silly iso fudge is factored out)

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
Just like any other system, there are expensive lenses & more affordable lenses.
At least Fuji doesn't have a $1600 prime lens!

I think if they added support for Sigma's budget F2.8 primes, it would open the door for quite a few more people.
The Fujinons are stellar but they could use a few slower, cheaper lenses. Even a lowly 50 1.8 would be welcome by me.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The AF on the non phase detect cameras is slower than their own P&S stuff from the 2005-to current! I have an X100 and X-E1 and they are PITIFUL slow. The X-E2 is supposed to be faster, but I have yet to see anyone rave about performance. There are now P&S cameras doing a focus, lock and shoot in the 0.200 second range. The Fujis are in the .500 range.

According to the latest rumored specs, AF speed is 0.08s. I assume that is in good light, so maybe it is affected more in low light than other systems. Who knows ... yet.

More pics and specs

X2_zpsd744af4d.jpg

rbelyell

Mu-43 Veteran
love fuji, loved the st605, loved their 645 af medium formats, loved their texas leicas, loved their xpan, loved loved loved the x100. as an alternative to digi slrs i dont like the xp/xe series: lenses are too damned big, their raw doesnt play nice with any software and IQ is really just specks better than the latest m4/3 and far short of new FF sony/nikon offerings. im sorry to say that i just dont see any advantage over competing systems, and this seems like much more of the exact same.

Latest threads

Top Bottom