Fuji X-Pro1 excitement?

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sony has quite weak lenses to start with and many people are not comfortable with the body shape of NEx series . This camera looks awesome but its way expensive . Moreover once u have spent that much money then u won't have the luxury of changing bodies every 6 months as we do with MFT . It looks , good and promising but lets see how it performs the real world.SOny Nex 7 is a failed product, I will chose NEX5n any day over Nex7.
Cheers

I guess I have a different perspective on lenses. I don't use the AF lenses for my NEX or M43 cameras. I only shoot MF. For that, I have the same lenses available on my NEX as on my M43.

hkpzee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Patrick
I am very excited about the new Fuji. The specs look great. IMHO, Fuji went about the whole project wisely, testing the water with the X100 and the X10 before finalizing on the specs of the X Pro-1. I am sure it will attract as much following as the X100, especially for many Leica fans who can't afford to own a Leica.

Having said that, I am quite happy with my MFT system, and am already heavily invested in MFT and FT lenses, so the Fuji is not for me... unless I have tons of spare cash... haha...

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I guess I have a different perspective on lenses. I don't use the AF lenses for my NEX or M43 cameras. I only shoot MF. For that, I have the same lenses available on my NEX as on my M43.

An excellent point. It proves that we cannot generalize and declare one system better than another. All of us have slightly different preferences and requirements and the more alternatives there are the better our chances of finding what's right for us. The best camera in the world is the one which you personally prefer using; the opinions of other photographers don't count. :smile:

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I really like what I see ... to the point where it is in the running to be my next camera purchase.

G

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
rex87 said:
I believe its bigger than M9 slightly...
lets just hope its not as heavy as the M9...

I saw the dimensions earlier today It's within a millimeter in each dimension. That's close enough to call it the same size.

Fred

gsciorio

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's quite big and by the time you add a lens you're close to a 5DMKII with a 50mm lens which will take a better quality image, have far better video and is part of a far more robust system.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
A lovely camera and likely lovely lenses. But it's all way more money than I'm prepared to spend right now - or any time soon. Besides, I'm sure my Pentax K-5 (a fairly compact DSLR) equipped with DA Limited primes will give it a run for its money. In the meantime, a Fuji X10 should serve nicely as my sub micro four-thirds compact.

Bill

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill (really)
These are the kinds of advances that push things to new levels.

I would like to think that the engineers at Panasonic, who brought us the game-changing GF1, will have a rabbit (or two) up their sleeves. It will be instructive to see if the GH3 begins to meet the challenges of these new cameras (sensors).

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
These are the kinds of advances that push things to new levels.

I would like to think that the engineers at Panasonic, who brought us the game-changing GF1, will have a rabbit (or two) up their sleeves. It will be instructive to see if the GH3 begins to meet the challenges of these new cameras (sensors).

I agree Bill. This is good for all of us. (except the mods who have to keep moving threads)

I was kind of happy to see the XPro pricing, as it will keep me from really considering this system! It was initially talked about at $1600 iirc for body + 35mm lens. That had me a little worried. I may have jumped on it. :)

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
It's quite big and by the time you add a lens you're close to a 5DMKII with a 50mm lens which will take a better quality image, have far better video and is part of a far more robust system.

Video, yes. The first two. Not so much. The Fuji or an M9 is significantly smaller than the 5D2 with a 50mm 1.4, especially if you pack them. That enormous handgrip on the Canon makes a huge difference, as does the large pentaprism housing. As far as image quality. The 5D2 makes great images. But with one of the strongest AA filters in the history of the universe it looses a lot of its advantages over cameras without an AA filter. The 18mp M9 stomps all over the 5D2 in detail at lower ISOs. The Fuji at 16mp may (unknown except for Fujis claims at the moment) get very very close and with Fujis ability in low noise sensors may also get very close at high ISOs as well.

Gordon

kytra

Mu-43 Regular
It will be presented live in the flesh on 12th of Jan in Romania. I will be there (with my own SD card - I hope they'll let me snap some on it) and report back. Try the link below with google translate :)

F64 anunta lansarea Fuji X-Pro1

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
If I could get the body and first lens for within a couple hundred of the price of an X100, I'd be excited. At roughly twice that price (from what I can tell), I'll admire it from afar. I was really only excited about a camera with the capability of the X100 (with perhaps faster AF and better ISO controls) with the 28mm lens. The 50mm isn't really my wheelhouse and I'm happy enough with my Pany 25 for that. And I don't care about macro so I'm as happy with my Oly 45 f1.8 for portraits and don't see much gain in the Fuji 60mm at f2.4. Maybe once they add to the lenses, maybe add another body with slightly different features, and the price comes down some I'll get interested enough to buy one.

For now, its kind of like the Nex 7 - lots to like but not the right set of tradeoffs for me. But either of those systems could win me over in time...

-Ray

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I'm at the office, but sneaking a peak here... is it possible for this body to have a small zoom? Not a variable-focal length, but a small walk-around zoom? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm at the office, but sneaking a peak here... is it possible for this body to have a small zoom? Not a variable-focal length, but a small walk-around zoom? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Yes, Fuji has one planned for this year and at least one for next.

BTW, a zoom is a variable-focal-length lens, so I am not quite sure what you mean...

shnitz

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, Fuji has one planned for this year and at least one for next.

BTW, a zoom is a variable-focal-length lens, so I am not quite sure what you mean...

For rangefinder-style cameras, without TTL viewfinders, it has historically been hard to have zoom lenses, so I understand his confusion.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
...so I understand his confusion.

Not so much confusion as curiosity if Fuji had overcome that historical limitation.

I still would prefer Oly's jpegs, but if the new Oly isn't at this level of sophistication, this kit will replace my PEN stuff when the zoom arrives.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Not so much confusion as curiosity if Fuji had overcome that historical limitation.

I still would prefer Oly's jpegs, but if the new Oly isn't at this level of sophistication, this kit will replace my PEN stuff when the zoom arrives.

Since the viewfinder can be switched to the EVF mode, you can use any lens, including zoom, with this camera. It may also display different frame lines for different focal lengths electronically in the OVF mode.

Latest threads

Top Bottom