Fuji X-H1

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by TNcasual, Feb 12, 2018.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Fuji X-H1

I thought this was worth it's own thread.

This price level, capability level, seems to be getting crowded. The Panasonic G9, Olympus E-M1ii, new Fuji X-H1 and the Sony A6500 a little cheaper all seem very comparable. All have IBIS, crop sensors, some hybrid video, close to the same size, etc. Also, add in the Nikon D500 from the DSLR field.

Is this the sweet spot for enthusiast/pro level cameras?

As for the new Fuji, it makes me interested. At least enough to consider dipping my toes back into the X-system once used copies come down in 3-4 years.

• Like Like x 2
  2. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    North Ohio
    M Ferencz
    3-4 years? In that amount of time your fancy will have changed 5 times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I still have my original E-M10 3 years later. And it's still more camera than I am photographer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    North Ohio
    M Ferencz
    Wants and haves are different.

5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    IBIS and a tilt screen. It's starting to get tempting... :hide:

Fortunately it weights a ton and is too big... :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I'm a bit weary of IBIS these days - I've seen vignetting of my m4/3 telephotos with IBIS... Fujifilm have shoehorned IBIS into a mount not designed for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I like Fuji for the retro look and controls. That top panel would knock it any list for me. But then I am not in that market anyway.

8. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

So Fuji rolls out another APSC body with the same tired old sensor...?

Who's selling all their m4/3's gear to get one...? :biggrin:

It's not too big though...

This is the EM1 mkII:

Dimensions W: 134.1 mm, H: 90.9 mm, D: 68.9 mm (based on CIPA standards: excludes protrusions)
    Weight Approx. 574 g (with BLH-1 battery and Memory card, based on CIPA standards)
    Approx. 498 g (body only)

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Props to Olympus for leading the way and everyone thought they were crazy launching a high price cropped body! Everyone else is now doing it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Well... E-M1II is already too big (for me). Why buy a ~700g Fuji when you can get a FF Sony? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ossiva

Ossiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    College Station, TX
    Assuming Fuji still hasn't fixed their autofocus issues, I can't see how they pulled off working IBIS.

12. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Fuji hasn't had the AF problems for at least a generation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

They've got working PDAF now, the C-AF/TR is better than most m4/3. To top it all off they've got PDAF in even their most basic X-E model now.

14. Ossiva

Ossiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    College Station, TX
    Please don't tell me that. It's the reason I am not a Fuji owner.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    When Fuji released the XE-2S and firmware update for the XE-2, they had fixed most of the issues people had with AF. Since then the XT(1&2 + 10&20) have had fine AF. It took them time to release the XPRO2 with those improvements, but that's been out for a couple years now I think.

16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Remind us all again, how is the IQ of that Sony without any lenses attached to it?

The E-M1 II and A7R3 are pretty much the same size, but body size doesn't mean shit without lenses in front of the camera...

upload_2018-2-16_7-58-9.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have tried so many times to like Fuji but just can’t. I am not a fan (it turns out) of the dedicated dials, I don’t want to change my post processing workflows for xtrans, the af while much better still lags Sony and m43, and I find the colors not what I’m looking for. Also, what I want in terms of body size and controls, is the xa5 with a viewfinder (and no xtrans)

I am very interested in what Nikon might do, rumored as early as May.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Honestly, with the dedicated dials, what's the point of the top LCD? You can already see your shutter speed (dial), aperture (ring on lens), and ISO (dial).

This is not the case with cameras like the G9 or DSLRs that have the feature, where I can see its value. But for a camera with direct dials for those functions, I honestly don't get it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Not all the lenses in the Fuji ecosystem have aperture rings, and they can be hard to see at night. Plus, I think they are trying to court the DSLR crowd.

Those kind of LCDs also use very little power and would have less of an effect on your eyes at night, versus the very bright rear LCD. I can see the reason for it...but Fuji, despite what it could be...just is not what I want. I agree 99% with WT21 and am eager to see what Nikon brings out in their newest mirrorless offerings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Good point, I wasn't thinking about night shooting (love the illuminated rear buttons on the D500, such a great feature!).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.