Fuji X-F1 @ amazon $199 new and much less used

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by zapatista, Nov 24, 2013.

1. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Amazon current stock is showing $199 for new Fuji XF-1 in Black, Red and Brown colors. More of interest is the prices (current as of this post) of "Good" and "Very Good" condition used condition Brown X-F1 cameras: $140-$145. No warranty but 30 day easy returns (maybe through January 31st because of holidays). I picked up a red used one a couple of days ago and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

• Like Like x 2
  2. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
  3. BAPHA

BAPHA Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Is this camera better than the Panasonic LX7?

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No but it's smaller and prettier. I just bought one. The used price was too good to pass on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is a whole topic in of itself...

IMO, the XF1 and its EXR sensor is better AND the XF1 is more pocketable because of its collapsable lens. Not to say the Panasonics are no good; I liked the LX3 and LX5.

But at this time, I'd take the XF1 over the LX7. I also the XF1 is a very handsome camera. My wife has enjoyed her XF1 that I bought (at full price) for her Birthday a few months ago... its her "primary" camera.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Do you think it's OK / easy to use for an occasional photographer? I am thinking of getting it as a present for someone but I am a little concerned that lens mechanism might be too complicated . Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

7. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

In a word, yes.

I had the LX7 for some time and really enjoyed it. The super fast lens was quite remarkable. The problem with the LX7 is the sensor could not keep up with that fast lens. Up to ISO 400, you would not be able to discern any differences in noise or sharpness however, the Fuji JPEG output is still nicer, possibly better than Olympus', certainly better than the LX7. The LX7 is vulnerable above ISO 400. Comparing both cameras at ISO 800, one soon discovers the LX7 does not stand up to scrutiny at a 1:1 crop. The XF1 images are almost crystal clear at ISO 800. Even ISO 1600 are not bad, something I never dared to even attempt with the LX7, only in test shots. The LX7 needs a fast lens because it's sensor is too noisy above ISO 400. I have many shots with the LX7 at ISO 400 where I feel the noise is unacceptable. I got better performance from a Canon SX50 HS in low light than I did with the LX7. At base ISO, it was sharp and noise free. With the XF1 at ISO 400, there is no discernible noise.

Here's a shot I took yesterday with the XF1 in relatively low light at ISO400. Note the dark areas are pitch black, no noise.

<a href=http://year77.com/images/Exports/DSCF1088.jpg>http://year77.com/images/Exports/DSCF1088.jpg"></a>

Here's a shot with the LX7, similar light at ISO 400. Zomm in at 1:1 and note the grainy texture of the image.

<a href=http://year77.com/images/Exports/P1010298.jpg>[img]http://year77.com/images/Exports/P1010298.jpg"></a>

The larger sensor of the XF1 is a huge advantage and it's the same sensor as in the Fujifilm X10 which was highly regarded as quite good. The XF1 is basically an X10 in a compact body.
    In my humble opinion, it has no rivals in it's size class apart from the RX100 and I've had them all. At $200, it's the deal of the year. I think I may buy another before they are all gone.
    BTW, did I mention it is one of the best looking cameras I have seen in many years? I love the feel of metal and leather on a camera.

If you're comparing DxOMark scores, they are close but, in the real world there is a huge difference. I have found that real world side-by-side comparisons do not match DxOMark scoring. In my world, DxOmark scores are as useless as an ashtray on a Harley.

8. usayit

My wife is in no way interested in photography, so I too had the same concerns. Just like many P&S it has automated features. Yes. It took a short term for my wife to get used to the lens mechanism but she quickly figured it out. Its actually a neat design in my opinion. Pull the lens out, the camera automatically turns on. Push the lens in, the camera automatically turns off. Put the lens in lock position but not push it in, it goes into standby. Hold the play button down even if the lens is collapsed for playback. THe camera has enough advanced features to keep even the most advanced photographers happy which is why I occasionally borrow the camera but that was a secondary concern during my research.

If you are looking for a truly pocketable high end P&S, the LX3 LX5 and I am assuming the LX7 are not really that pocketable. see here for comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#379,350

On the flip side, the LX7 has a faster optic. Again though.... The EXR sensor is going to deliver better than the LX7. The EXR also has a couple tricks up its sleeve.... two modes that are only found on this type of sensor:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/exr/about/index.html

9. usayit

PS... There is one thing I feel is missing from the XF1. No hot shoe. I use flash frequently and with the XF1, I am limited to optical triggering. This was not the case for LX3 and LX5 (LX7 too I assume).

10. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

I know needs are like snowflakes but, I shot with many a compact and only had one with a flash on a hotshoe, my G9. I recall using it once. The built-in flash is quite adequate for this fast a camera. Low light capability is surprisingly good. Just my humble opinion.

There's only one camera I can think of that can literally fit into a pants pocket (not cargo) and have low noise output at 1600, that's the RX100.

11. usayit

Built in flash is never 100% enough for me. I can't control its direction and intensity myself. Built-in's also kill the battery of the camera. I generally shoot flash with a off camera cable or a Metz CS-2 (optical triggered). Flash (on a wrist strap) on my left. I use it creatively (to add dimension) not necessarily just to throw light out for better exposure.

I've always loved small compact cameras.... the Powershot G's were my #1 choice for a long time. Starting from the G1 all the way to the G5 (G7 yuk) then the G9. From there, the LX3 won me over for a couple years of enjoyment. I'd say that the RX100 (or the II) is the only high end compact camera that I would choose over the XF1. Its the only reason why I have not bought an XF1 for myself.... (that and my wife would probably think I nutz considering we already have an XF1.. but I want a red one... lol). Then again, even at full price, the Sony RX100 is quite a bit more expensive. I've always had two compacts, a super-zoom (previously TZ5 Panasonic) and a high end (previously LX5). The TZ5 has been replaced by the Sony WX300.... super zoom.. no frills... but for the most part, the MFT system has kinda replaced the high compact P&S . I'm still find myself borrowing my wife's XF1 but I really want the Sony RX100II (hotshoe)... its a bit overpriced for my tastes though...

12. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
  13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    There are a few reports of lens issues in the Amazon reviews, but probably less than the Canon Sxxx series. That said, looking at Dpreview's studio shots, the IQ of the XF1 is not nearly as good as the Sxxx series. Maybe the sensor has more DR, but the optics aren't good. All the images look soft, both jpeg and raw.

14. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Well, my wife has an S100 and I've got the new (used) XF-1 and I think there's a good advantage with the XF-1. Maybe I'll do some apple to apple shots when I get home because I have a crapload of better things to do with my time. :p

15. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    This forum is so evil ... must resist. I'm jonesing for a GM-1. A lot more money, but comparable form factor.

16. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Price is no longer valid.

17. monochrme

monochrme New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Price for the black and red are still 199 but the brown returned to 399. Maybe it's a inventory thing. Just got 2 for myself and my wife.

It's not that I need another camera but it would be nice to have matching cameras. Two for the price of one, good deal imho.

18. usayit

must not purchase... must resist... lol :)

Cheaper than my regular consumer P&S...

19. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've been playing with it for a while. IMHO, its noise at hr mode is about a stop better than our xz-1. Dxo mark puts the xz2 sensor about on par with the xf1. Some negatives are that it needs an end filter, its aperature gets small real quick while zooming, and its metering is a little off. The lens is also soft in the corners compared to our xz-1. I think the faster lens I in the lx7 or xz2 negates the iso difference at all focal lengths except the wide end. On the plus side its smaller and the dr mode is really useful. I haven't seen a real improvement in the sn pixel bin mode compared to scaling the hr image.