1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji X-10 vs. Nikon P7100

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Biro, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This is a near-duplicate of a post I made on the sister site, Serious Compacts, but not everyone here also posts over there and I'd like your thoughts on a smallish general all-round camera that doesn't require extra lenses.

Much to my surprise, a relative presented me with a $150 Best Buy gift card for Christmas. Now, Best Buy carries a lot of things but I can't see frittering away the money on a series of tiny purchase like CDs, DVDs or memory cards, etc. But Best Buy only carries so many things that a serious photo enthusiast would want.

As you can see in my signature, I have a nice micro four-thirds kit. I also have a Panny LX3 that is about to be gifted away. But a couple of cameras have struck me as attractive for different reasons. One is the Fuji X-10 for obvious reasons and the other is the Nikon P7100, which my brother picked up recently and has gotten surprisingly good results with.

Both cameras, as we all know, have very nice external controls and solid construction. Both offer excellent image quality for their class - but not quite on the level of the larger-sensored mirrorless cameras. In fact, on DPreview's web site, image quality between the two cameras is quite similar - although it's possible many X-10 fans may dispute that. :smile: Of course, the finishing of the X-10 is delightful and it has that fast f/2.0-2.8 lens - but it only goes out to 112mm. The Nikon goes out to a very attractive 200mm, but is f/2.8-5.6. Camera size is not significantly different.

So here's my question: Given the current prices for these cameras at Best Buy today - $599 for the X-10 and $408 for the P7100 - a $150 credit will score me an X-10 for $449 and a P7100 for $258. Which would you go for?

2. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Do you want to save money or get the best camera? or another way to put it is: do you want that xtra cash in your pocket or the better camera around your neck?

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Get the Fuji. Sorry, but Nikon STILL hasn't nailed a small camera...

The real choice would be the X-10 or a small DSLR kit. But that's for a different thread.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Have you thought about the GF3 or EPM-1? They are all pretty close in size.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wish I had relatives like that!:wink:

I am an old Nikon man so I say go with the coolpix.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You'll be able to buy that Coolpix next year in the budget bin for $100. The Fuji will be $350 at that point.

You've got great cams.....buy a toy that you don't already have.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Man, if only you were shopping last week. Best Buy sold the P7000 for $157. Using your $150 GC, it would have only been $7 OoP. The P7100 and the P7000 are very similar.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I knew I would get interesting feedback if I posted this here and I wasn't disappointed! A definite win for the X-10 versus the P7100. But I can also wait to see how things shake out with Best Buy's offerings early in 2012 - the card won't expire. I'd love to see the X-10's price drop by $100 but demand for the camera remains very strong. Thanks for your thoughts!

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    $150 would get you Elements 10

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    $150 would get you Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 (video processing), with $65 left over for something else! (Bundle currently discounted to $84.99 on amazon.com)

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    That's a good idea but my gift certificate is with Best Buy, so that's where I'm watching prices of items I might want right now.