1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji wants to buy Olympus *weak rumor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by zerotiu, Dec 13, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I know it's only a rumor (fuji wants to buy olympus

but imagine the possibilities :tongue:
    EP4 with hybrid viewfinder..........as big as x100........ ooooooooOOoooOOOoo. Super technology won't enable us to make good photos instantly but rather to satisfy our lust for sexy camera body :rofl:

2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Could work. I'll take whatever I can get. All the signs point to the possibly resurrected Olympus dumping the camera division. Dumb but that's what we hear. There would be a very good chance Fuji could take Oly cameras where we would all like to see them go. I'm saving my pennies. :biggrin:

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If Olympus camera division were to be bought out, I sure wish it is Fuji, although I highly doubt if Fuji is willing to take over a business that is struggling to turn a profit...

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    As I've said before, I think it's way too early for guesses about potential buyouts of Olympus. But, for the sake of arguement, a Fuji hookup makeS sense and is something I could live with. Great lenses from both companies, Fuji sensors, what's not to like? But they might have to call in someone from the outside when it comes to designing menus. :)

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    It makes sense. When the scandal broke, and the future of Olympus Imaging was uncertain, I said that a Fuji acquisition would be a good match and the most likely. I frankly hope it happens, since the Pen system will then become a part of a company dedicated to photography, and not simply a small loss-making part of a medical equipment mfr.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Would be great if true and win/win for everyone

7. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    A company dedicated to photography? Imaging is only 16% of Fujifilm's revenue.

I suspect Fuji is more interested in Olympus' Medical division than it's camera business.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Fuji has their own interchangeable-lens camera that was leaked, which they are debuting in February. Unlike Hoya (and now Ricoh) buying Pentax to let them do what they do best with regards to consumer cameras, if Fuji buys Olympus for any camera-related reasons, it will likely be for the technology and patents, and not to continue m4/3 product development. Just like we recently saw with the largest patent buyout in history:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20075977-92/apple-rim-in-group-buying-nortel-patents-for-$4.5b/
    Rockstar wins $4.5b Nortel Patent Buyout | Beacon Equity: Penny Stocks, Stock Alerts
    Apple, Microsoft, Sony, etc. all came together to buy $4.5 BILLION of patents. This is money that they decided to spend on protections, rather than putting into research and development. This was not so that they could learn what the Nortel had, it was a purely business-driven decision to allow legal protections.

If you have a chance, listen to this episode of "This American Life." It's about an hour, but well worth your time.
    When Patents Attack! | This American Life

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I doubt that. Olympus has good name recognition and extensive distribution network in all parts of the world. When was the last time Fuji released an AF lens?

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, their X10 and X100 are autofocus. Besides that, it's a bit of a loaded question, as their FinePix line of interchangeable-lens camera was a decision to piggyback off of Nikon, precisely so that they wouldn't have to develop their own AF lenses. However, seeing as their Fujinon line is bigger than Panasonic when it comes to the likelihood of your TV program being broadcast to you through one of their lenses, if you want to nitpick, they currently have a line of AF lenses. They've already developed their new APS camera and a few lenses for it along with a proprietary mount, which clearly has autofocus. Think "interchangeable-lens X100." If they were to buy Olympus, unless they decided to have an APS rangefinder-style camera, plus an "EP-4" that is also interchangeable-lens but slightly cheaper and completely incompatible with their current prototype system, I don't see m4/3 production surviving under Fuji.

Fuji LX mirrorless camera leaked | Photo Rumors

11. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I imagine there would be many suitors for a business that has a dominant share of the endoscopy market, and which has been a cash cow for Olympus.

With regard to the business units within Fujifilm, it's interesting how they categorize them. I would have thought that Imaging would have included other units such as Optical Devices (all types of lenses), Graphic Systems (scanners), and even Medical (diagnostic imaging).

The point I wanted to make was that Olympus' Imaging Division would likely have a safer haven within a company like Fujifilm which sees a future in expanding its share of the camera market. It was fairly recently that the company announced its intention to become the #3 global mfr of cameras.

12. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I can actually see the Pen range of m43 cameras co-existing with the larger APS-based mirrorless cameras that Fuji is expected to announce in January. The rumor-mill would have us think that the mirrorless Fuji will be positioned as a premium brand, much like the X100, and that to justify the price, the IQ will be equal to or better than a FF from Canikon. If that is true, then there would still be room for a sub-$1K camera range.

Remember too that Fuji is a member of the m43 coalition. While many of us were eagerly waiting for them to join, it was a letdown when they announced they were going with an APS-based mirrorless. But what caused them to change their mind, or did they in fact change their mind? Were they going to address the sub-$1k segment with just their X10 compact? Highly unlikely. What if Fuji already had a deal in the works with Olympus to acquire the Imaging Division when the scandal broke, thereby delaying the introduction of a m43 system into the Fuji lineup? For a company with an announced global ambition of becoming the #3 camera mfr, adding Olympus with its distribution system and established presence among m43 faithful would seem a no-brainer.

All very speculative I know, but all the same, it's fun to think of the possibilities. At least it allows us Pen owners to not feel like an orphan-to-be. :smile:

13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think Panasonic will buy Olympus camera division if it's for sale.

I don't think they want another company in control of Micro 4/3.

14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Not one to shy from controversy Pavel !

;)