1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji to Produce Micro Four Thirds camera in September?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Photo Rumors today published a rumor that Fujifilm will be introducing a mirrorless camera "with a sensor probably smaller than APS-C, something in the m4/3 range" in September.

Although this is a Grade C rumor, it is a rumor which keeps popping up, again and again. As they say, "Where there's smoke, there's fire"; at least I hope so in this case. Fuji has a long track record of innovation, and I'm confident they would bring something unique to our system.

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• Like Like x 3
  2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    from that page

That's the only rumor i'm concerned about. That - if implemented properly - would cause me to move on from m43.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Fuji was part of the Four-Thirds Consortium, although they never did anything with it. They hadn't joined the Micro Four-Thirds System yet, but I think there's a chance they will carry on their former commitment to Four-Thirds by joining Micro Four-Thirds... and this time actually produce something for it. ;)

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Even if Fuji made an interchangeable lens version of the X100 it would probably remain a limited production camera due to the premium it would likely command. Which might be fine for Fuji.

However if they want to get into the mass market I believe m43 would provide them a safer and faster route by joining an existing ecosystem.

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I sure hope the do it!

6. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    If Fuji makes a comparable interchangeable lens mu43 camera with stylings like the x100 I would love to have it in my camera bag.

7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    X100 based evil cam!
    [​IMG]

8. Kade.Sirin

Kade.Sirin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    Las Vegas
    We'll see what Fuji can do.

Though.. I would love to see that hybrid viewfinder on a rangefinder-esque M43 body!

9. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I'm not holding my breath. The X100 seems to be a wonderful camera by all accounts. But below that, their bridge and point and shoot cameras are either nothing to write home about or pretty poor compared to other cameras in the same class.

10. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I would love if they used the same/similar body as the x100 but got rid of the hybrid viewfinder and cut the price in half. I owned the camera, but I never really understood why people were so in love with the viewfinder, I would much rather have just had an even better EVF. You aren't looking through the lens when you look through the optical finder, and there isn't a rangefinder...what's the point? (not to mention that manual focus sucked anyway)

Like I said though, if they made a similar body with an awesome evf and lowered the price, I don't know how it wouldn't sell like crazy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As with any interchangeable system, the key is to release and followup with a line of lenses. A system isnt a camera but a camera and its lenses. I think this will make it very difficult for them..... recalling their DSLR line has always relied on Nikon.

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. I love the X100. I have a Fuji W3 camera. It makes a wonderful 3D camera. It makes a poor camera in general. The IQ is pretty horrid. It cost $400 but since it's really just two cameras stuck together it should be compared to a $200 camera. Even at that, it's a poor $200 camera.

13. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It would be cool if Fuji were to release a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, and especially so if it were M4/3.

If it is not M4/3 then their biggest challenge will be in having enough lenses available quickly enough to gain traction.

14. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    I thought this wishful thinking, until I was reminded that Fujifilm is part of the :43: standards group.

Well, the ST-701 and its avatars were pretty good cameras, better than Pentax Spotmatics IMO, and they did embrace the M42 standard of their time.
    More recently, Nikon did give them a hard time by supplying semi-obsolete SLR carcasses, hardly the best basis for the "Professional" S-series, but it spared Fuji from making its own lenses.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The more the merrier ... I certainly hope they join ... the broader the base the more stable this µ4/3 platform. The more stable the platform the harder to perish.

Which is probably why both Canon and Nikon haven't signed-up with µ4/3. They control the dSLR world ... they do not control the µ4/3 world.

G

16. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Fuji is one of those companies that are hard to predict--who would come out with not one, but two medium-format film cameras in this day and age? With the success of the X100, you would think they would want to build on that. However, that has a fixed lens and so there is nothing stopping them from going to a different sensor format.

I will wait for the release before I make a prediction.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The "Fuji entering the µ4/3 marketplace prediction"?

18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    That's the one...

19. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    If Fuji release m4/3 camera I hope they also make adapter for their legacy lens, my m42 fujinon 55mm will be very happy. I think it's more make sense to join m4/3 rather than creating yet another system, just see what happen with other mirrorless system outside m4/3, all struggle to fill the native lens. 3 native lenses you got to be joking :rofl:

20. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

I'm pretty certain that Fuji makes their own sensors and electronics only relying on Nikon and others for the carcass. Fuji's S series image quality was very good with better noise / definition characteristics than most at the px level of the time. If they bring the same qualities to the Mu-43 table it can only be a good thing I for one would be a likely customer...