Fuji not even a m4/3

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by MrDoug, Jan 9, 2012.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Wow.. buy Fuji Stock.. the new camera is not even a :43: camera and is dominating this site in the last couple days.. LOL.. Amin should start a new Website called "NEW FUJI CAMERAS" .. just a quick TIP. LOL.. I must add I like hearing and seeing all the new gear though.. I will stick with :43: and my X10 for now..

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    As I commented in one of the Fuji threads here, I am very excited for the new Fuji camera only in anticipation of the flood of :43: gear that might show up on this site. :biggrin: I'm trying to go for what you have, MrDoug - I have an X10, and gunning for an E-PL3 (or an E-PL2). :smile:

3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes.. I like what I have and it covers lots of situations, but always looking.. I love Fuji performance in the last yr for sure.. and Oly and Lumix as well.. what is the ultimate? LOL.. I keep striving for that.. but.. all is good I would say.. depends on your priorities.. If we had a perfect camera for all situations we would not be in this forum.. or would we be?

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Maybe it's because it looks like Fuji is making the cameras that we wished Olympus and Panasonic were making.

Gordon

5. Paulo Moreira

Paulo Moreira Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 6, 2012
    Porto, Portugal
  6. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    you're right..

Hoping the same result from new Olympus m43 camera :smile:

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It is amazing to look at the plethora of choices we suddenly have in the gap that once existed between P&S and DSLR.

I've read some posts elsewhere how M4/3s could be really challenged with new offerings coming out soon. I think that is true, but I don't see it as the death of M4/3s by a long shot. I think it will help/force Panny and Oly to focus a bit more on what they are doing and help to raise the bar in general. Very curious to see the next generation offerings and how they stack up.

8. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

For some, maybe. But look at the real specs: a body twice the bulk of :43:, awkward extendability towards wide angle and tele range, and a pretty high price point. In my view there is one strong point, which is, at the same time its weakest point: the viewfinder. It offers a great real time view of the world, but it inherits the rather inaccurate framing and clumsy handling of different focal lengths of a rangefinder system. True wideangle and adapted lenses can only be handled well in electronic view, which negates most of the advantages.

What does one really gain when comparing it with a GX1 + 14 + PL25 + oly 45? Double the price, double the size, and the looks of a 70's landrover. And no 7-14 or 100-300. The IQ must be absolutely stunning to make me think about getting one.

No, it's not for me, and I certainly do not wish Panasonic to go into that direction.

9. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I agree with Conrad, it's too big, heavy and too expensive.

10. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    It's slightly bigger than a 24x36 sensored M9 :eek:

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Via the brilliant site CameraSize.com...

6676569969_7e34e624a4_b.
    Fuji X-Pro1 vs Panasonic GX1 by john m flores, on Flickr

Still interested?

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The IQ of the X100 was and is absolutely stunning. I'm not IQ obsessive AT ALL (if I was I'd be carrying a DSLR kit instead of m43), but it took the X100 very little time to amaze me with its image quality. I seriously doubt this new one will not have at LEAST as good IQ as the X100 and will be notably better in low light than the GX1 or any other m43 camera (as the X100 is already - brilliant at 3200, quite useable at 6400). Not to mention the Fuji colors vs Panasonic - but that's just Panasonic, not m43 in general.

Whether m43 is good ENOUGH in terms of IQ is a personal judgement. Whether the new Fuji is TOO big or heavy is also a personal judgement. It looks pretty chunky to me, but I'd have to hold one in my hand and shoot with it for a few minutes to really get a feel for that. '

They've also indicated that wide angle and tele options are planned for 2013, as are additional bodies in this series down the line. I'd guess that the more extreme lenses will work with the EVF but not the OVF, but I guess we'll see. At launch, it will not be the mature system m43 has become, but it will start off as a more mature system than m43 was for a year or more after its launch. I'm really glad to see it - Fuji and Oly have become my two favorite camera companies and who knows how long Olympus will be around?? So I hope Fuji really kills it with this camera system. So far, this and Nex are the only other CSCs that have interested me. I tried Nex but won't go back until and unless they can do a LOT more with their lenses and do it in a smaller package than they've shown so far. The Fuji looks more promising to me because I don't mind a somewhat bigger body as long as the lenses aren't out of scale. I don't think - time will tell.

-Ray

14. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I think fuji X pro will make a lot of improvements and eliminate all quirks from previous X100.

X100 reproduces excellent image, especially b&w images. As you know, the quirks can make you want to flip a table :biggrin:. The quirks I hate the most :write speed and turn on speed.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My biggest hope for M43 is that they get C-AF to DSLR standards. Nikon definitely is going in the right direction with this. Hopefully Pany/Oly follow suit.

16. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    yes, that will be very helpful

17. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Check the autofocus speed from Fuji Xpro1

start at : 2:15
    and
    start at 3:50
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LXL_YraX8dc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It certainly seems they fixed that. Turn on speed seems virtually instant (astonishingly so for something with digital processing in it). And it seems you can carry on shooting while it's writing to card.
    Something I noticed it that the current system has no IS. I suppose that's something you don't need so much for fast lenses in good light, but in low light would you not? If they bring out a zoom it will have to have in-lens IS.

The sample images I've seen from it seem to have lovely colours but no great sharpness.
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/sample_images/

The reason I'm so interested in this is that although I can't afford it no matter how good it might be, it seems to herald developments in the mirrorless market, and one wonders how this might influence m43 developments (if the Xpro turns out to fulfill its promise).

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Wow! Look at around minute 3.30. They said it's 6fps, but with a super high speed card, she's gotten it up to 12. She said she is shooting RAW + JPG, and the buffer clears pretty quick for what it is (6 fps of RAW + jpg). Also, listen to the shutter. That's a loud room, but the shutter sounds quiet. AF seems OK.