1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji needs to pack Iridient or Photo Ninja with their cameras!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tomO2013, May 13, 2014.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    In the past I've been quite vocal about the things that I didn't like with my Fuji XE1, namely I've experienced smearing effects and had frustration with pink/red color casts in skin tones when shooting concerts and gigs. To a certain extent you will get this with most cameras with different lighting casts. However it was harder for me to try and clean up with the Fuji files for some reason. I also found ACR to produce an overly soft look at the expense of detail and definitely could not push/pull files as much as I could from my Canon or OMD.
    Dammit though, I'm going to eat my words. I've re-run some of the original files through the latest beta builds of Photo Ninja and man does it work what can only be described as witchcraft on these files. They look a million miles away from what ACR was giving me (granted the latest build of ACR is a lot better). No smearing and far more detail (I've complained before of the Fuji giving an overly clean image at the expense of detail even at base ISO's) but the latest builds of Photo Ninja really make a huge difference. I'm super impressed.

I guess I'm just ranting to say what difference a piece of software can make :)

I think this is often overlooked when the latest and greatest sensor comes along, latest camera, gadgets are released etc..

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I should give Photo Ninja a shot again, but I did try out Iridient on my x-trans files (Photo Ninja wasn't working with the XT1 when I tried). I got more detail, but I also had more noise and some funky color artifacts. It just seems like there are trade offs with all of the raw processors for x-trans. I ended up punting and returning the kit (and then doubled down on my Sony full frame stuff for landscapes). Love the company, cameras and lenses, but it still seems like x-trans is a solution in search of a problem.

3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    How dare you rave about Fuji and their Xtrans sensor here?!
    I've read that even their RAW files are cooked, shadows are murky, skin tones look plasticy, and loose detail with landscape??? :rolleyes:

Anyways, glad that you found a program that works for your RAW files!

4. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    Hi!

Do I risk being stamped as a traitor here? I tried the Fuji XT1 this weekend at a convent and I have to tell you guys, had I not already bought myself an EM-1 with that glorious 12-40 zoom I would probably own a Fuji by now. As it stands I am so pleased with my Olympus that I'm not leaving it but I could easily see why Fuji XT1 stirs upp feelings.
    I have lightroom 5 and Capture One Pro 7 for RAW-developing and Capture One is by far the best Raw-converter I have ever tried. Less than two weeks ago they added support for the latest Fuji XT1 and since Fuji have the same sensor in their cameras I guess that mean you can now develop your files with Capture One. You can download it and try it for free here:

http://www.phaseone.com/Downloads/Capture-One-Pro-7.aspx

This tip applies very well to all m43-shooters as well! You may try it out for 60 Days, why not give it a go?

Cheers!

Stefan

5. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    By the way, every time there is a new version of a good RAW-converter, be it Lightroom, Capture One Pro or any other, it is usually a good idea to upgrade since the rendering enginge and algorithms keep getting refined, resulting in crisper Pictures with less noise and more spanking good colors.
    Just look at older RAW-files you shot a few years back with an older camera when you process the same files again with todays software. Before I jumped onto the m43 bandwagon I used to shoot Canon and I loved that too. I remeber thinking that it felt like getting a new camera upgrade when a new version of my RAW-converter was released.
    There is no need for upgrading the camera each year!

Cheers!

6. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Rave is such a strong word.. but I am very happy with what I am able to do now and wanted to share my experience.
    It literally was like getting a new camera - I'd tried Photo Ninja a while back and tried SilkyPix and whatever else I was being suggested to try. But at the time (and quite recently at that too) I was not happy with what they were doing for me. The difference is like night and day.

7. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Well, since this is a m43 fourm, any praise of another system (especially Fuji and Sony) seems to get attacked, so that's why I was saying that jokingly.

Glad that updated software makes a big difference for you :smile:

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It certainly makes a big difference. The flip side is workflow. I spend probably more time editing and processing than I do capturing images. I'm more likely to dump a camera because it doesn't work well with Lightroom, than I am to dump Lightroom because it doesn't work well with a camera. Fortunately for me, Lightroom works well with m4/3 cameras.

Going purely on the basis of output quality for the X-Trans sensor, I'd probably choose Capture One though.