1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji is closing the lens gap with m4/3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dhazeghi, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I finally had a chance to look at the Fuji lens roadmap. What impressed me is the lens selection - in 3 years they're building a very complete range, despite them being a smaller manufacturer than either Olympus or Panasonic.

High-end zooms: 16-55/2.8 and 50-140/2.8 (stabilized and weather-sealed).
    Mid-grade zooms: 10-24/4, 18-55/2.8-4.0 and 55-200/3.5-4.8 (all stabilized)
    Consumer zooms: 16-50/3.5-5.6, 18-135/3.5-5.6 and 50-230/4.5-6.7 (all stabilized)
    Long telephoto zoom: focal lengths not specified
    Fast primes: ultra wide (focal length not given), 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, plus the Zeiss 32/1.8
    Slower primes: 14/2.8, 18/2.8, 27/2.8, plus the Zeiss 12/2.8
    Macro: 60/2.4, plus the Zeiss 50/2.8

Granted, m4/3 still has more lenses (especially at the low end), but on the whole Fuji is filling the holes in their lineup at a tremendous rate. Compare it to where m4/3 was at age 3 (late 2010) and it's quite shocking - we had a single quality zoom, and maybe 2 fast primes. We still only have one mid-grade zoom. Of course, Fuji could fail to deliver on their promises for 2014 and early 2015, but so far they've been pretty much right on schedule. I guess one big advantage they have is not having to design release a new inexpensive kit zoom every 12-18 months! Still, I think Olympus and Panasonic could definitely learn a thing or two from Fuji's well-organized roadmap.

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes. I have always thought that Fuji was :43: true direct competitor.

3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Fuji had my money from 2007 when they had the SuperCCD and wonderful lens on the F30. They could have taken the ball and ran with it, or at least directed me to the idea that they're going to make an X-system that is very small and very good and to hold out. If would have known that I would not have gone with m4/3s. But, the image quality of the 12MP sensors, small size, price, and the lens selection did it for me. The Fuji system would be my choice had I not already invested in m4/3s. That said, I haven't spent too great a deal of money on native glass, so most of my lenses could also be adapted to the Fuji system, if ever need be. The 2x crop factor, however, is so simple for me to do in my head.

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They certainly have a history of interesting technologies, not to mention excellent optics and cameras. What gets me is that they seem to have a well-thought-out plan that hits pretty much every significant area of interest. Even with regular 4/3, Olympus always had a couple of annoying missing areas, and with m4/3, for every great lens Olympus or Panasonic make for enthusiasts they release 2 or 3 mediocre or worse lenses that have no obvious attraction.

Even with all that, I'd still say m4/3 has more good interesting lenses than Fuji at the moment, but I don't think I'll be able to say that in a year. I mean, Olympus has the 40-150/2.8 and Panasonic the 42.5/1.2 planned, but they also have at least 3 or 4 slow zooms or slightly tweaked primes. Of course without fast accurate AF, the availability of great lenses isn't necessarily all that helpful, but usually these things resolve over time. Olympus and Panasonic used to have terrible autofocus with their DSLRs, not so very long ago...

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Half those lenses are still vapourware. The current primes, however, are stellar. Too bad the cameras don't have the performance to match their looks.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    i was deeply tempted to switch to the Fuji X system when I compared prices for building a 2 prime, 1 zoom kit between m43, Fuji, Sony NEX, and Nikon DSLR. They all landed around the $3000 mark for a prosumer body and mid-high grade lenses.

then I saw the size of the Fuji zooms announced with the X-T1. they're pretty huge.

7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    So true. :biggrin:
    And I love the viewing angle of a simple 50mm.

8. Arcturus

Arcturus Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    I still think one of the greatest advantages of the m4/3 lineup is that we have at least two companies releasing lenses, and the public can decide which one they want. For example, it the new 25mm 1.8 from Oly isn't sharp or focuses slowly, then we can always go with the 25mm 1.4 from PanaLeica.

The same probably can't be said for Fuji just yet and while their 56mm is looking nice and sharp so far, if that wasn't the case then a lot of X shooters would have to suck it up and deal with it.

9. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    true but their performances are hit and miss. The 35 1.4 for example isnt all that sharp, and theres a great variation between copies in the 55-200

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Fujifilm is no small player. While they're making 1/3 the revenue as Panasonic, they're almost making 20x more than Olympus.

It doesn't have the financial woes of either companies as well. As a result their products are seriously competitive from the technical stand point. Though I feel they're priced marginally higher at each segment.

11. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Telephotos are where M43's size & weight advantage really shows itself. Fuji is still missing some important telephoto lenses, such as fast ~135mm equivalent or a 70-200/2.8 equivalent. M43 already has them in the 75/1.8 and 35-100/2.8. Once Fuji has those, it will be very interesting to compare the size & weight, along with the image quality.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I suppose that's one way to look at it, but to me it's an indication of what's to come, and so far Fuji hasn't missed a release.

I wasn't aware of any new Fuji zooms coming out with the X-T1. The existing 18-55 is pretty compact though (smaller than the Olympus 12-40 for example). Heck, when it comes to primes, their 56/1.2 is actually smaller than the Panasonic 42.5/1.2 despite covering the larger sensor.

From what I've seen, the 35/1.4 is about as good as the Panasonic 25/1.4. I'd consider either one decently sharp. I do agree that the 55-200 samples seem rather variable though. Still, you if you compare the worst Fuji has to offer - the 18/2.8 - and the worst m4/3 lens - the Olympus 17/2.8 - and there's just no comparison.

13. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Their lens choices throughout their lineup has been very intelligently thought out. Looking at the other side for µ43, we can say largely the same thing. I think it's a function of the bigger players in mirrorless cameras knowing that they need to release smart lenses that people will run out to buy. So photographers end up as the winners in a very saturated market still dominated by DSLR companies.

Lots of photographers really love that Fujinon 35/1.4. The 55-200 is a lens I rather wish Fuji hadn't made, but it was likely a play towards the low to mid-market who would want something in the 75-300mm focal range. Every company with a long game plan produces that lens. So I'm not super surprised Fuji saw the need for that one from a marketing perspective.

They slipped a month or two on one or two release dates, but it seems those slips only resulted in increased demand.

I'm glad to see mirrorless cameras on the whole doing so well. It's only going to result in even better gear being made for us across the board and across manufacturers.

14. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Agreed, Zlatko. I was half lamenting today that I only wish Fuji would come out with something in a fast 135mm focal range. I know a lot of us would eat that up in a heartbeat.

Their 50-140mm f/2.8 is coming (75-210mm equiv), though! Based on what the mockup version of the lens looks like, it seems to be a rather chunky lens. Hopefully it will weigh a lot less than the typical FF 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4.0 lens. If they don't slip on the date, we may see it by the end of 2014. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Ah yes, I missed that. Looks to me a lot like Panasonic's 14-140/4-5.8, although with the advantage of 1/3 stop and somewhat less range on the long end. Not small, but hardly gigantic.

Actually, I'd complain that Olympus and Panasonic didn't really do a very good job planning out which lenses they released. It took them 4 years to release their first fast zoom, while at the same time they went through 5 slow kit zoom designs and 4 slow telephoto zooms. Or consider the situation with pancake primes - they're clearly a great way to showcase the system, yet there are only 3 available, and 2 of them have serious limitations (the 20/1.7 can't focus on anything non-stationary and the 17/2.8 is both optically slow and soft).

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I totally disagreed. Other than the P12-35, O12-40 & O75 I think that the other m4/3's options are dark and slow. While the m4/3's telephotos are light, you don't see birders and wildlife photographers clammering for them. Although I use the O40 -150 & 75-300, they are not the stars in the M4/3's system. Dara just started a thread questioning the value of the 12-50, the m4/3 longer lenses are just easier prey. I love the m4/3's system, but ........

17. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    No. It cannot. Ever. It's strictly a stills lens, with an emphasis on the word "STILL". :big grin:

Great for travel, though. :smile:

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, but there is the Oly 17.

19. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I agree; the enthusiast bodies are getting released much quicker than the fast to mid speed zooms. I cannot understand the lack of at least *100-300 f4 zoom. Our supertele options suck hard. Hopefully that changes this year. One good thing to be said for some of the late to the game Olympus lenses is that at least we get the mf focus clutch with them. I love me some MF'ing clutch!