1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji introduces X100s ..Claims to be world's fastestAF :)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 6, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And when that AF technology hits the "X-Pro2" & "X-E2", Fuji should leapfrog into the thick of things with MFT & NEX.

On a side note, what really peaked my interest is this:

And let's not forget that it also incorporates "Focus Peaking" too :smile::smile::smile:

2. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
  3. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    Looking forward to reading up on it -- if rumors are true regarding the upgrades in focusing both manual and auto, this could be a seriously fun camera to shoot with. I like that Fuji appears to have taken a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" approach to the X100 in regards to aesthetics.

still not sure how i feel about the x-trans sensor though (which seems to certain to be implemented with the new X100s) -- love the overall look of the files, just wish the RAW support issues were sorted (already have Lightroom and reluctant to have to change to Capture One).

this one could fire up some GAS pangs again, but we shall see! looking forward to reading about this one, granted still very, very pleased with my regular ole X100.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    [Thanks to Ray S for catching that in the fine print]

• Like Like x 1
  5. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Its also a pretty meaningless number anyway when it takes several times as long to rack the lens or sometimes it might not focus at all. Seriously the thing that stood out for me when I had my OMD for one evening was the fact the AF just worked even in terrible light and always seemed to focus really quickly and accurately for me (except the C-AF mode). The problems with Fuji's AF IMHE isn't outright speed but that sometimes it just doesn't work at all or completely misses and that in low contrast low light situations it can either be slow or not work at all. Basically out doors in low light the AF is pretty awful.

I have high hopes the PDAF will make the cameras focussing more reliable and quick more of the time.

I am hanging back from buying anything now until an Xpro2 with this tech comes out then I can decide on either that or the GH3.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    If I understand this correctly, the PD-AF is new for Fuji, is that right? It is probably the result of using the latest Sony sensor (with Fuji filter, of course). If that is the case, then performance of the latest Sony NEX-6 would be an general indication of the improvement in AF speed.

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Dan .. 12 mm F2 Olympus is an exellent lens.I have returned it back but I loved it. Its on my purchase list . I would definately recommend it over Panansonic 14 mm .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I believe they did it before on a superzoom/compact thing that wasn't much cop. The introduction of this technology at this time does make it increasingly sound like X-trans is indeed a Sony 16 Mp APS-C sensor with Fuji's own colour filter array design. As I said outright speed isn't their problem IMHE, in good light with a high contrast target my X100 focusses about the same as my E-P2 did with the Oly 45mm f1.8 on, or maybe even a touch faster i.e. fast enough.

9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Does the X10, also have these new improved focusing speeds, or did most people thing it was fast enough? What about focus peaking?

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No but the new announced (tomorrow) X20 does :smile: