Fuji Goes on the Attack

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by sLorenzi, Oct 6, 2011.

1. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Just read this article in The Online Photographer and decided to share:

"Shigetaka Komori, Fuji CEO, has announced that Fuji will enter the mirrorless interchangeable-lens market by next Spring (2012) with a line of products that will share the "Fujifilm X" nomenclature with its recent fixed-lens cameras the X100 and X10.

Komori-san says that the sensor quality of Fujifilm X mirrorless will exceed that of current full-frame sensors, although its sensor size will likely be smaller than 24x36mm. The claim reminded me of something...I have a hazy memory of someone with knowledge of the industry telling me long ago that an official of Canon said that Fuji is the only company Canon is scared of—not Panasonic, not Sony, not Nikon—because of Fuji's expertise with sensors. (I might not have that right, so please don't quote me.)

Fuji also confirmed that demand for the X100 has far exceeded expectations. More than 70,000 have sold in six months, and the total is expected to top 100,000 by year's end."

The Online Photographer: Fuji Goes on the Attack
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I'll be more than happy to entertain Fuji when I see the product! However, the X100 is very good, and to me, it is easily one of the better non-full frame cameras in terms of low noise at high ISO, good colors, and sufficient sharpness. I'm looking forward to seeing what Fuji can do to top that.
  3. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    From what I've read, it's probably going to be a full frame type of system (larger or smaller) but that market in mind and probably price point as well.

The best thing about Fuji right now and probably spurred on by Sony is that they are moving things forward vs. just putting the same old product again and again. They seem interested in breaking some major ground. I think the F30/F31 and then X100 has really lite some type of fire under them and they see a real chance of taking market share from Canon. Which I might add, seems awfully quiet these days...sleeping giant or fading glory. Nikon seems to have imo made a mess of their attempt with the J1/V1 or whatever its called.

I wish Pana would put that same type of energy and drive into the m4/3 sensor which in its current iteration is maxed out - good glass and compactness is great but we need to see some significant improvement in ISO and DR performance or if Olympus would approach Sigma/Fovean or Fuji about making a 4/3 sensor for them to have a real alternative.
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am just skeptical that they are going to come out with anything close to FF from a size perspective. I think this is just the first wave of the marketing attack, getting the focus on DR and noise performance. I suppose the same size sensor as the X100 is possible (lower overall costs to design and manufacture), but aren't we back to large lenses again?

Does Fuji have the marketing resources to get traction with a new CSC? I would think Fuji would have to align with someone to be successful... m4/3, Nikon, or some new Pentax/Ricoh CSC standard?

They have shown they can innovate with smaller sensors like on the upcoming X10. I wouldn't rule out m4/3 just yet... they could innovate with much improved DR and lower noise (maybe by lowering mpx) and they would immediately have access to a wide selection of compatible lenses.
  5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.