1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fuji expanding the X

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ccunningham, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I'm not sure what I'm going to sell, but I'm pretty sure I want one of these:

This new Fuji X-E1 mirrorless camera will not have a viewfinder | Photo Rumors

Like, right now.

And I'm torn because deep down, I don't think it's going to be much (if any) better than my GX-1. Still w00t, this so reminds me of my Voigtlander Bessa. Too bad I they aren't making an updated version of the RD-1 still, or THAT would be totally taking my money.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Curious why you're interested in this over the X-P1 (optical finder) if you want a modern Bessa/RD1?

Personally I'm very interested in the lens - very close to being the mirrorless ZD 12-60 that I want Oly to make for MFT...

• Like Like x 1
  3. cariocaleo

cariocaleo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2012
    Oh yeah... That looks exactly like the GX1!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, that looks nice! :eek: I wonder how much?
    Fuji lenses are much less portable than the m43 though right? no pancakes or anything?

• Like Like x 2
  5. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010

Because I'm hoping I might be able to actually afford this and a lens. If not, well I won't cry too much, I have a GX-1 after all. Which is still damn nice.

Actually to be perfectly honest, and since I'm wishing, I would rather see an RD2, which would pretty much be an RD1 with a newer, full frame sensor. If it could be 12MP or 8MP or 16MP or whatever and shoot clean at say, iso 3200 maybe, and not cost more than 1500 for the body I'd definitely want one.

I have a three ltm lenses with m adapters that are ready to be used on said RD2 body any time now.

And I don't think this RD-2 would make my photos "better," I think it would just be more fun to use than anything I have right now.

6. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    If the EVF works as well as the Olympus one and the price is say halfway between X100 and Xpro then I'm in. I love the X100 but IMVHO I am not hugely taken by the whole optical VF thing, I use it most of the time on the X100 purely because their EVF option sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Happily, I am heavily invested in :43: cameras and lenses - I can't afford to switch systems or even add to what I have. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    no doubt i'm getting this over the om-d even if i have to start a new system, built in EVF, aps-c sensor (less crop), and that body is sooo nice. this is the one i'm waiting for

the only thing to persuade me out of this? if the new PENs have built in EVF and make it in the form of the e-pX line or something like the lumix L/LC1

• Like Like x 1
  10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    M4/3 needs a rangefinder form-factor body (no hump)with built in EVF, badly! Like the X-E1 or NEX 7. If done right, such a body could easily dominate m4/3dom. Pany, Oly? Whichever of you does this first will reap sales like crazy.

• Like Like x 5
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This is something that Fuji gets 100%...
    -x100
    -xPro-1
    -X-E1

• Like Like x 1
  12. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I am loving all the mirrorless competition at the moment, it's what pushes the manufacturers to make some great cameras like this one!

• Like Like x 3
  13. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    "no doubt i'm getting this over the om-d even if i have to start a new system, built in EVF, aps-c sensor (less crop), and that body is sooo nice. this is the one i'm waiting for

the only thing to persuade me out of this? if the new PENs have built in EVF and make it in the form of the e-pX line or something like the lumix "

"M4/3 needs a rangefinder form-factor body (no hump)with built in EVF, badly! Like the X-E1 or NEX 7. If done right, such a body could easily dominate m4/3dom. Pany, Oly? Whichever of you does this first will reap sales like crazy. M4/3 needs a rangefinder form-factor body (no hump)with built in EVF, badly! Like the X-E1 or NEX 7. If done right, such a body could easily dominate m4/3dom. Pany, Oly? Whichever of you does this first will reap sales like crazy. "

It's kind of funny that it sounds like I'm not the only one who's been hoping for this. And it was FUJI, not Olympus or Panasonic (who have been making compact mirror less cameras longer than anyone, even invented this class of gear as far as I remember) that got the message.

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Sony beat Fuji to it though. And the X-Pro1 is not a small camera like the Nex7

• Like Like x 1
  15. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    All true, but for me, the Fuji controls are more appealing to me than those on the Nex-7. (I started in the days when cameras were mostly all manual and mechanical with only the meter running on batteries. So I miss the simple controls of my FM or my K1000 or even my Bessa R2.) And I think the size is ok for me.

Depending on how the AF performance is this might be the thing I've been looking for to replace my Nikon APS-C gear that I've been into for a long time and my mFT gear that I've been into for awhile, but not as long a time.

Now that's just me, that's not a knock against Nikon or mFT. This just seems like kind of a super sweet in between lineup that I can grab. For super-super compacty I can get an RX100(or one of the RX100 clones that will invariably be made.) Of course if this comes to pass, it will greatly simplify my gear closet, but I will miss the Nikon DSLR and various mFT gear that I think works so well.

Sorry man, this cam just kind of makes the irrational side of me have a geargasm. It appeals to me like the X100 did (which hardly anything else has had that level of appeal for me,) but hey - interchangeable lenses like my R2 instead of a single lens. I just can't help it.

16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am with those that prefer a rangefinder styled body versus a mini old school DSLR, but I am not willing to give up AF speed (big gap), EVF quality (refresh rate, etc), tilt screen, native lens selection and IBIS for styling. To clarify "give up," I mean to completely swap systems.

For me, I view a m4/3 kit and something like a Nex-7 or X-Pro1 to be very complimentary. They cover all of the type of shooting I like to do (not covering the kids' sports or the Olympics) and it allows me to carry two bodies, with two primes mounted, in a very small bag. I would not hesitate to take two CSC bodies on a vacation, versus a FF DSLR, which would stay home.

Oh, and the E-M5 looks have grown on me, especially after I have stealth'd it up with gaffer tape.

• Like Like x 1
  17. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    It is nice looking, however, I hope they improve the AF of the X series.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    ^this...hope you are reading his olympus.

• Like Like x 1
  19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wish it would happen too... but it won't unfortunately. Epson took a huge loss on the RD1 and it left a bad long lasting after taste.

I sold mine for more than I purchased it... seems that it was more popular after it stopped production.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Which reaps the old question of why they don't do it.

From technology point of view, it's not like they can't do it.
    From cost, they should be able to do it even if it will cost as much as OMD.
    From strategy side... are they keeping their trump card for too long and not realizing it (-.-)

• Like Like x 2