1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji considering FF X-series

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ccunningham, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    mirrorlessrumors and fujirumors are reporting that Fuji let it out in an interview with Amateur Photographer that they are considering a full-frame X camera. Apparently the non wide-angle current lenses already throw a large enough image circle to work with FF.

Discuss.

2. TDP

TDP Guest

My bank account just shuddered a bit...

3. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    It's not going to be an impulse buy for me either, but it does raise the question-

How much would you be willing to pay for a FF X-Pro?

There are FF DSLRs available in the 2000 USD neighborhood. New ones even. The RX-1 will be 2800 USD. The Leica M-E is 5500 USD.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It would be an interesting addition, but I have to say I'm skeptical of the lens claims. Even if they do cover the full circle, will they perform decently outside the center portion of the frame? If the answer is yes, then they could do very well. But otherwise, I think they'd be better off focusing on releasing the right lenses (they're off to a good start), working out firmware quirks and optimizing AF. Yes, FF offers and advantage. But running a split system is hard work, and it'd be a shame to have two systems with so-so lens lineups, rather than just one with a superior lens lineup.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  5. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    A good point. Since I don't have an X camera, I can't say one way or the other about the lenses. (And if I had an X camera with lenses I probably wouldn't be complaining anyway.)

I have to wonder if M mount lenses could be adapted. I have some LTM lenses with adapters that I would like to use, but I'm not well-heeled or ready to drop 5500 USD on a Leica M-E.

6. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Personally I believe its a mistake as it undermines one of the two USP of their current X interchangeable cameras (well one USP for the X-E1). All the claims in the run up to the X pro were all over this idea that the X trans sensor would give full frame performance at APS-C size. By now leaking that they are looking a full frame X just says to me they didn't really mean what they said, and knew it was marketing BS. Not clever at all if true.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If it can use the same lenses, (preferably without doing a sensor crop) and not lose performance radically, that would be pretty amazing. Especially if they can continue the X-trans sensor tech that makes the APS-C sensor they're using now unique, just on a larger sensor.

It would also be extremely annoying, if it comes out on the heels of the X-E1 and X-Pro1. I am not going away from m4/3 as a primary system, but I do have the X-E1 pre-ordered and plan to use it as a complementary setup. If they come out with a mirrorless full frame system with an excellent lens lineup then they'd certainly have my attention. I see Sony heading in that direction with the RX1, but if Fuji can leverage the X lenses then they're way ahead of the game.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I wonder what defines "full frame performance?" Does it come with a better photographer as standard?

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have to ask, why?

Seems a lot of investment and marketing confusion for 2/3 to a stop of DOF when they could just build an 85mm 1.4 and blow every one away. The Fuji and other mirrorless APSC cameras already struggle to get fast AF speeds and yet a larger body means larger lenses with bigger elements and slower AF yet again. Not to mention the endless threads about how it should have been cheaper when it drops at $3K+.

Personally I think Fuji is one the right track with this system as an APSC system. But they should be concentrating on 1.4 primes and constant f2.8 zooms and teles (135 and above).

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Well, most reviewers that I've read express their opinion that the X-trans sensor punches above its weight IQ wise. So let's say for the sake of argument that X-trans APS-C sensor performance sits in between traditional APS-C and FF sensor performance. If the same trend continues with a FF X-trans sensor, it seems that the FF X-trans performance would be in between traditional FF and MF sensor performance, and that would be the motivation for buying it.

And if enough people wanted to buy it, that would a motivation for making it.

I suppose in the end it's pretty irrelevant for me, I doubt I could afford it anyway.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think APS and even m4/3 and even the 1" sensors are getting so good in DR and low light performance that the primary advantage of full frame anymore is just narrow DOF. Since that's not a huge issue for me and f1.4 with APS will get you REALLY narrow, I can't really see myself getting full frame just for the sake of full frame. If something else about the camera really speaks to me on a deep level, I might give it a look, but if its similar to the X-Pro except for the sensor size, I strongly doubt I'd be interested even if the lenses DO all work...

-Ray

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    im sitting here waiting (sorry i meant....shooting with my OMD in the meantime)...

13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I agree with your points Ray (or I wouldn't be shooting m4/3 in the first place, really). That said, the larger APS-C and FF sensors still have some nice advantages in improved resolution, more cropping ability in post, plus of course the aforementioned DoF, low light performance, and D.R. For me the Fuji X-E1 is on pre-order because I see it complementing my m4/3 gear in those areas (ok, and I'll admit also for simple aesthetics). As I see it, FF sensor would simply be a notch up in all of the above so it'd certainly at least be on my radar :smile:

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have an X-Pro already which is probably part of why a Fuji full frame would seem like a somewhat more incremental step than from just m43. I do like having something larger than m43, but the low light and shallow DOF of that sensor with the 35mm f1.4 or the anticipated 23mm f1.4 are as good as I'd ever need or want. So I'm not interested, but if I didn't already have the X-Pro and they came out with a full frame that wasn't too much more, I might have thought about it...

-Ray

15. APS-C is my full frame.

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks like that rumor didn't make it very far:

DH

• Like Like x 1
  17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That's what I expected to hear... seemed pretty farfetched to imagine they over-engineered the lenses for a FF sensor! I guess people just have sensor size mania these days since the megapixel wars have subsided :biggrin:

18. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    After the more experienced tech enthusiast educate the newcomer enthusiast that megapixel war is ruining the picture and put more emphasize on dynamic range, details as well as the razor thin DoF, why not :D