1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fuji attacking m43 with cheap new camera/lenses!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Steven, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's interesting, but besides the OVF, one of the other things about Fuji is having the physical aperture ring and the shutter speed dial on top. That camera does not have a shutter speed dial on top, and the two new lenses aren't showing an aperture ring. So, it'll be a point and shoot with an xtrans sensor. Aimed at like the EPM2 (as you mentioned).

The EPM2 is VERY likely to have much faster focusing, but I suppose for folks with an XPro 1 or XE1, this is a nice way to use their lenses.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    How is this attacking Micro Four Thirds?
    Most companies all have cheap lens lines.....:smile:

Example: Nikon has their cheap ƒ1.8 primes and their expensive ƒ1.4 primes :smile:

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Not for me, I will stick with the X100 (and potentially upgrade to 100s later in the year) and also my OMD Mu43 system.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Well, before this, Fuji was not really in the same price and size bracket as m43, but this is putting them a lot closer.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    They're entitled to have an entry level camera just like everyone else. :smile:

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The new Fuji certainly looks nice. I'm even willing to overlook the mode dial in place of a shutter-speed dial at this price point. No aperture ring is a problem, too, but I'd be willing to at least try. But, to me, modern Fuji's mean a viewfinder. It's what sets them apart. A mistake IMHO. There doesn't seem to be a reason to give up an E-PM2 or E-PL5 for this.

8. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I wonder how the new lenses will work on the old bodies then... is there an electronic aperture setting on the X-Pro and X-E1?

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think they are getting firmware update to be able to do that.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Even witout a VF, etc., it could just be a APS-C mirrorless body with some nice lenses available. This pokes into NEX territory.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    With the slow AF and no VF, it's an EP1 with tilty screen! :)

12. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Ahh ... m4/3 is that steady someone in your life. Fuji-X is that hot someone you just want to, you know, have on the side. Fuji-X is also that hot someone with personality quirks.

13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    This seems to be the appropriate comparison to me as well.

14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Damn, I hope the X-tranny sensor is at least a little better than the gen1 from Oly...:eek:

The X-M1 seems more like the EOS-M to me, if Canon hadn't totally screwed up that camera.

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    probably not for any one who likes reading photo forums. But I think this is a very smart move by Fuji.

Gordon

16. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Fuji X is a really sexy system. But I was looking at it IRL the other day and it looked beefier than the MFT, compared to the OM-D about the same btw. But I was thinking that next OM-D series camera will take better shots than the X-system takes now :) and then you have the small-lens-system MFT which will continue developing and take way better pics in the future, hopefully (if it not vanishes by 2018 :)) personally I like it as small and light-weight as possible, that's why I've bought into this system. I look forward to a new better OM-D with no AA-filter, higher pixelcount (for cropping) and even more DR, I think it's not a matter of "if" but of "when" :)

17. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Well, to tell the truth, the X-E1 is about the same cost as an OM-D and even cheaper, given similar lens choices. But if you're suggesting the ability to chose more economical lenses, bodies, or combinations then you're right.

The X-M1 is a smart move IMHO, and complements the system nicely.

By all accounts, the OM-D lacks a AA filter (see Pekka Potka's review on this).

Last year the OM-D sensor was up there with the best APS-C sensors, for all practical purposes (and always in the context of the whole camera package). Today there are improved APS-C sensors used in a variety of cameras, DSLR or mirrorless. I have no doubt :43: will catch up soon enough... and then APS-C will enter the next upgrade cycle.

It all boils down to the Last Camera Syndrome Thom Hogan desrcibed recently. For a whole lot of people this is almost a reality even today, GAS notwithstanding. :wink:

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I don't wanna be lured to the Fuji X... the pancake looks attractive.

19. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm interested in seeing what sort of price pressure this new entry from Fuji puts on the E-P5. If it comes out for an (as rumored) price of $600-650, it seems unlikely that Olympus can/will hold the line at the $999 price point for the E-P5 given that this camera offers much the same feature set.

Already I would have a very difficult time trying to justify the E-P5 over the $799 Fuji X-E1 were I not already invested in the :43: ecosystem.

I'm guessing that Olympus will feel the need to retain the E-P5 price structure for some period of time to "protect" early-adopters from feeling victimized, but my guess is that we'll see the sales price on the E-P5 drop sharply by this fall due to the pressure from Fuji. Any thoughts?

20. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I havent read the rest of the comments yet, but i definitely see this targeting towards an EPM GF audience. and yes it will take a great bite of customers. but then i think the main problem i see with the fuji X system is divided in two. those things cant focus properly. and two, being "ahead" of their game or whatever you want to call it, makes their raw files not to work properly with anything adobe and that is for me their achiles heel.