1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fuji and EVIL cameras

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Hikari, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Interesting read. Thanks.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Would definitely be interesting if they expand the x100 to a mirrorless concept. Gotta say though that reads more like stockholder meeting notes than anything else.

4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Interesting article. Basically they have no definite plans yet. One thing from the article - the company is barely making any money. This is just Fuji trying to calm down the investors.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    "In digital still camera unit sales, Fujifilm says it is currently in fifth position behind Canon, Sony, Nikon and Samsung..."
    Is it even correct as it stands now? I'd've put them about eighth.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Perhaps, regarding their 5th in sales claim, they've really cornered the sub-$100 market - not exactly something I'd be shouting from the rooftops! X100 aside, they do have a lot of, well, crap cameras too. Perhaps they sell well in that segment.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    That would be Pentax and Ricoh.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Don't be a snob. All the companies have "crap" cameras and they sell more than the non-"crap" models.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Who is calling the kettle black? All I did was call sub $100 cameras crap, a rather innocuous statement; I love the little brand poke there.

You're right, every brand does have a low end they would rather not discuss.

Fuji, Pentax (both of which are particularly bad on the point and shoot side), Olympus, canon, nikon, panasonic (actually I would say Panasonic is probably the exception, they have a scarce amount of point and shoots that fall into the crap category, and Ricoh is a small company that targets enthusiasts, though I'm not familiar with their entire product line).

I was simply trying to indicate that Fuji's 5th in marketshare reference is likely tied to the extreme low end of the market. Unless they have other high end cameras beside the X100 that I'm unaware of?

BTW, I think the X100 is great. If that article is a pre-cursor to Fuji taking the x100 and making an interchangeable lens system with it, I think that would be great. Without anything to back it up, as has been said, it reads like a shareholder meeting minutes guide.

11. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Panasonic may well have fewer "crap" cameras but they are also guilty of rather liberally throwing around the word "Leica" like a magic incantation ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is too true!

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    A-How is Fuji counting, unit sales or $$$ sales?

B-How would the X100's innovative viewfinder work with interchangeable lenses?

my iPhone sent this

14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    As it works now, it couldn't. It's a rangefinder type viewfinder. They would have to make it a true SLR to carry it over to a interchangeable lens system.

By the way, I was surprised to see a bunch of X100 in used Camera stores in Tokyo already. They are line up in a row. Unfortunately, they were selling for only 10,000 less than new. About $125.

15. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Camera firmware could resize the "white frame" based to the actual focal length (with native lenses) when using the optical option. Useful only with wides and normal in action scenes. EVF mode as always.

16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

17. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe I am missing something here... Leica, Contax, Voigtlander, Zeiss... all interchangeable lens rangefinders.. been doing it for decades. If they are indeed considering making an interchangeable lens version of the X100, I'm pretty confident Fuji already has a solution designed... can't be that difficult.

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Might work, but there will a wide limit where the "white frame" falls outside the viewfinder. And on the telephoto end, the "white frame" will become smaller and smaller as the focal length increases. Would be kind of silly to have a "white frame" be just a small rectangle in the center of the OVF LOL.

As I understand, rangefinders sometimes have multiple frame lines in the OVF to handle different lenses. It's an imperfect solution though, as there are upper and lower limits to what focal lengths can be supported before you have to do things like place another OVF on the hotshoe.

As it stands, I don't know of a way to handle it that is a simply elegant as the current fixed-lens solution.

19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    So we have two probelms.

A normal rangefinder window would have different frames for different focal lengths, but the electronic image would be scaled as it is produced by the taking lens. How to match those two images would be difficult.

You could make a zoom finder like the Contax G series. But then how do you use zoom the finder and still be able to see the electronic finder screen? Hard to split the optical path in the viewfinder for both optical and electronic viewing.

Fuji's solution was making a fixed lens camera.

I am glad you think it is easy. :rofl:

20. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I agree with pxpaul; this looks like shareholder-oriented communication.

I'll take a chance and make the prediction based solely on conjecture that Fuji will go lower-end rather than enthusiast-driven, following the path that they forged in going from the marvelous Fxx series cameras like the F20 and F31fd to the mediocre F50 onwards. The strategy will be to capitalize on the brand image of the flagship X100 product with cost-reduced and price-reduced offerings in the same series. The X200 will offer a slower built-in zoom lens, touchscreen-centric controls, more pixels and art filters, and will look like the X100.