1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji 56mm f/1.2 vs. Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 at SLRGear

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MAubrey, Mar 14, 2014.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
  2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not to knock the 42.5mm at all but you do have to put some perspective on it, the Panasonic is over 50% more expensive ($999 vs $1599) and has to cover a smaller sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Panasonic lens is sharper, and focuses faster.
    Fuji has less vignetting and CA.

Both are great lenes for both systems!

I just got my 56/1.2 lens and can't be happier! :smile:

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    SLRGear says that their data are not suitable for comparison between systems, and they call the Fuji "spectacularly sharp, even at ƒ/1.2, and even in the corners". Both great lenses!

• Like Like x 3
  5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Ah right. I always forget that with SLRGear in particular because of their unique approach to presenting the data.

If it only was in line pairs, it would be more easily quantifiable.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, line pairs per image height would be great.

7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Both lenses are so good that differences are negligible in real use. The Pana is more expensive, but has OIS and a closer focusing distance.
    Anyway, I stick with the Oly 45. Small, affordable and great quality.

9. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I think Jordan would probably come to a similar conclusion to the impression I have from using the Nocticron and looking at a bazillion photos from the Fuji; the biggest difference in their images is probably in their rendering rather than their sharpness.

When I started to review the Nocticron, I thought what would win me over to it from the Oly 25 was going to be its extra subject isolation. Instead that's had little effect; after all, the Voigtlander still beats it by 2/3 of a stop. What gets to me instead is the wonderfully contrasty rendering.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good one! I'd like to see more bokeh samples, not to see which one is better, but to see differences in character.

The Nocticron is one of two lenses I've ever owned that my wife likes having her picture taken with because she thinks it makes her look prettier. The other was the Nikon 85/1.4D on a D700. None of these other lenses I've owned have had that distinction.

So to me it's a magical lens, no question.

• Like Like x 5
  11. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Not sure if there are already bazillion photos to look at but.. You can look at mine! :tongue:

Here are some shot wide open SOOC JPEG bokeh samples Amin.
    I finally got to take my X-T1 out into the city and test the new lens.
    One thing that annoyed me was not having the 1/8000 SS of my E-P5, or built in ND filter like my X100S.

13189600865_182561a10d_b.
    Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 Test by Taz Spin, on Flickr

13189600325_e0070254fb_b.

13189705043_9e483930ba_b.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  13. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    It's quite obvious from Jordan Steele's review that the Nocticron is better than the Fuji at f1.2 … and that is huge IMO. I would go so far as to say that this is the best 85mm lens regardless of format.

Some excerpts of Lloyd Chambers' review of the Nocticron:

The Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH shows impressive imaging quality in all respects starting wide open. The imaging performance is exceptionally well balanced in not showing weakness in any area, which is unusual enough, but particularly impressive for an ƒ/1.2 lens.

The superlative rendering style of the 42.5mm f/1.2 is evident. If there is a must-have lens for Micro Four Thirds, this is it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I did find that Jordan's statement of "The PL’s higher native vignetting at f/1.2 is actually rather desirable and beautiful here" surprising.

Most review sites, state that as a negative. But in real-world shooting I guess it's good for some, bad for others.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    He was just saying that it worked for that shot, not that it's a desirable trait in a lens. He then went on to say that you can always add vignetting in post for the Fuji...

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I think both m43 and FujiX shooters have much to be excited about, me personally as an m43 shooter I am thrilled to read that this Pana Leica, the Nocticron, is a lens of the absolute very highest order for its focal length in any format. Kudos to Panasonic for createing such a wonderful lens and I am now more positive than ever that the soon to be released PL15 will be just as special.

Wow...the prospect of a 3 lens kit comprising of the PL15, PL25 and the PL42.5 is exciting.

• Like Like x 2
  17. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    Both produce wonderful images and both out-resolve my abilities... Until I catch up, I'll stick with what I have (he says with steely resolve).

As an aside, for me the Nocticron is cheaper since I already have a body to which I can attach it.

18. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Interesting take. I'm looking forward to his more comprehensive review of the Nocticron itself.
    Generally speaking the majority of reviewers appear to rave about both lenses. Of the two, the Nocticron looks to be the optically better lens overall - particularly the initial shots of the red book and the portraits of his daughter. However whether that difference in IQ is worth 600 dollars extra (assuming you own both systems) is an entirely personal and subjective question.
    Regarding the slower Fuji XF56mm focus speed - I believe that this is using Fuji's new internal focus lens design, similar to that used in the XF23mm. It's likely that they will be able to speed focus speed up with future camera firmware updates; this is something that Fuji has admirably improved in the past and something that I feel the reviewer should take into account given that the XT1 is only just out on the market.
    As it stands today the Nocticron is probably my favourite lens on any system I own. It has that magic factor for me.
    Still, looking at the reviews of the XF56 and Nocticron just made me really appreciate how lucky we have it with the Oly45. Fast to focus. Extremely close focus capability and sharp and contrasty wide open (just not as sharp as these two). Cheap to boot.

19. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    One very interesting point that Jordan mentions in his review is that the PL 42.5 covers an Aps-c image circle! Wonder if that was done on purpose so as to be compatible with the rumoured Leica mirrorless system that is expected soon!

20. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Both of the lenses look great! Man, f1.2 and 1/8000 sounds pretty fun....