1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FT5 rumour on Oly 30mm macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdk42, Sep 5, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    (FT5) Olympus 30mm macro lens info - 43 Rumors

Yawn... What's the point? Don't we already have enough macro lenses?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Not to be pro or con on this one, but it just seems so...irrelevant.

Maybe they think m43 needs a wide, inexpensive macro lens, but it seems there are better place to down your resources. There are so many inexpensive adaptable macro lenses out there. Can't imagine why they'd bother or want to clutter important Photokina announcements with this one.

Oh well. Wish them luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I guess it's smallish, and has a lowish rrp. But yes, it's not for me... Already have the 60mm macro

4. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Bullet points 5 and 6 are what set it apart from the rest, not the focal length.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    If it will also do focus bracketing and stacking on cameras that have the capability (and there's no reason to think it won't) it will not be entirely irrelevant.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've already earmarked funds to purchase one when it's released.

It will be a straight swap replacing a 50mm macro on speedbooster for product shots, it's a tiny bit shorter (30 vs 35) however such a tiny amount won't make any difference. I've always produced good results in the past with a long normal to short telephoto range (70-90mm on FF is generally agreeable, longer and you're juggling DoF).

I fully expect it to be a sharp and consistent performer. While it's going to lack the ability to amaze with low light performance it will bring something often overlooked to the table - being boring. A tool being boring is one of the most important features overlooked, you want tools to do what you want without you thinking about them, you want them to just fade away into the background while you focus on more important things (for example, do you want a burger or fish and chips for lunch?).

I don't want equipment to surprise me, it generally ends in tears.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus only has one, though. So this is the cheap short one and the 60mm is their high end long one.

8. tkbslc

2cm close focusing distance is not really a good thing though. That's under and inch working distance!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Depends what you are shooting, the Yasuhara Nanoha is 1cm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ... like DanS posted "Bullet points 5 and 6 are what set it apart from the rest" .... this should be a fantastic lens in a controlled environment ..... 20mm close focusing distance is no problem with controlled lighting .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... I would suspect the magnification is actually 1.25/1 .....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Absolutely not! There's only one wideangle macro lens and
    1) it's not by Olympus
    2) it has "only" 1:1 magnification
    --> there's obviously space for this Olympus macro lens and I'm definitely buying one.

Sure, the 2cm distance will be challenging and sure, it won't interest many but I'm one of the people who has a need for such lens and I'm thrilled about this.

"Don't we already have enough macro lenses?"
    I could ask you don't we have enough 25mm lenses... They're pretty much all the same (exaggerated a bit :biggrin:) while there's no two exact versions of m4/3 macro lenses - and we still are missing a tele macro or two in the line up.

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    20mm is too close for many applications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I think it goes without saying, just because it can focus that close doesn't mean you always have to use it so!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    Already have Pana 30mm 2.8 macro, so not really interested in Oly 30/3.5. But it's nice to have more options :)

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have to admit I hardly used my ZD35mm macro lens on my Olympus DSLR's & loved it when I could get my hands on the Sigma 150mm macro lens instead. So for myself the 60mm macro lens I already have along with the Sigma 150mm macro lens is all I would likely want to use but I reserve judgement on the usefulness of the 30mm lens until I see images from those that will buy it. I'm assuming that we will see images from it here (not in this thread, obviously).

17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Rumors on the internet suggest the 30mm Macro is just a platform to introduce an entirely new TTL Macro Lighting System by Olympus (twin flashes, ring flash, etc. all wireless). Hmm, just throwing it out there for others opinions. :hmmm:
    Bobby
    PS, this could be my wishful thinking. :hail:

• Like Like x 2
  18. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Had higher hopes for this really, the old 20 to 38mm macro lenses on the OM system had crazy magnifications at those kind of working distances (their 20/2 was something like 13x at 18mm?).

fake edit - actually just look here -

OM macro

TBH 1.25x isn't really something to get excited about either really - around 1.5x + would be worth getting more excited about but I don't see there being much you could shoot at 1.25 that you can't get at 1x. It will be good to have something for Olympus's focus stacking thing that doesn't have the same crazy perspective shift you get with the 60 anyway, hoping this one sticks to about 30 all the way. One thing that would be really exciting would be something like a doubly telecentric macro :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I really don't know why I (or anyone) would ever choose this lens.

The 60 2.8 has a far more useful working distance, a significantly faster aperture, and weathersealing, and is only 50 bucks more.

I guess if you have neither the 25 1.8, nor the 45 1.8, it might make be tempting to pick up a small, fast-ish lens that also does macro, but for that there's the Panasonic 30 2.8...it's faster, cheaper, has a better working distance, and has OIS...

I really see absolutely no reason for anyone to go with the Olympus 30.

20. tkbslc

I think the price will be lower than the rumor. And it's going to be about the size of a 45mm f1.8 based on the leaked images.