FT5 - Olympus EM-1X is a "Canon 1DX level" Camera - Built in Vertical Grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Mu-43 Regular
Im glad Olympus is working on something... but I won't be a customer for this one... An updated OMD em5iii would have my attention though. I like a smaller body with weather sealing and a ~$1k price point.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
IMHO, this is a dangerous strategy for Olympus. Clearly most of these rumors are coming from them or not being disavowed by them. They had better have something worthy of all this. The Em1 ii required another year for a FW upgrade to live up to the promised CAF performance. This thing had better perform like a 1DX and not just look like one.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Vertical grip? talk about half backed the thing should have normal, vertical, upside down and upside down vertical. Now as it would be all grips in should also introduce mind matched mind reading so the user thinks f1.2 and there it is oh and four memory card slots a backup for each of the dual cards.

Peter Bond

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter
I’m interested to see what features this new camera will have, and will put on hold updating my camera until this, and the price, are revealed. Exciting times.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Well, some people are simply hitting the limits of what the format can do (try photography in a forest and you'll soon be yearning for a bit more dynamic range and ISO).
Try photography in a forest...

How about a dark building in the forest...

Maybe others don't think them worth much, but I am proud of those images. I think the 16mp mft cameras return outstanding results. New bells and whistles are just additional means for the artist, not ends of themselves. I just like to work with what I have.
"Dark Forest" was my biggest concern when switching to m43 and I've only once been in one with the gear, but the shot I did get could compare very favourably with other formats at this iso. What excited me (at the time) was that the camera managed to "pin down" the scrub wren which never stop moving. I've had dozens of trips with apsc and full frame and only ever "pinned" 2 shots of this bird and yet got one first try with m43. An element of luck yes, as it momentarily stopped and the slow shutter more or less got it, and not perfect, but it instigated yet another thought process in me that I was now m43 till death...............and with lower end gear!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Scrub Wren by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I guess I assumed it was clear what I mean with "forest photography", but obviously not, so I'll try to explain better :)
It's not about taking a photo in a shaded area, it's about the contrast in photos where you can see the sky (and even the sun) between trees AND those shaded areas at the same time.

But let's not continue on this. I'm not trying to pick a fight.
This went off topic from the thread subject, to which I have nothing further to add than my initial posting :)
Yes, I get you on that. So far I've found that m43 cannot compete in filtered light. If a shaft of light was in the frame on my posted shot, it would not have been a keeper. I lost a few that day where the birds were on the (cleared) path which had patchy sunlight breaking through. Images that would have been keepers with the canon 6D or 5D3 or without resorting to HDR

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Presumably if it's finally a body aimed at pros they will be sold in pairs so the $5,000 will be for two.

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Excited to hear there's a higher end OM-D coming out. While I'm not a fan of the vertical grip, which is why I never bought it for my E-M1ii, if the sensor performs a great deal better I will probably buy one. o_O I'm wondering if Olympus is going to phase out the E-M5 line and make the next regular E-M1 line the mid-tier camera replacement. That would be a shame if they did that as I was a big fan of the E-M5 mk1/2 and its super portable form factor.

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
Omg can they hurry up... the suspense is killing me. These weak trickle rumors aren’t enough. I’m in no position to be buying either the new m1 or Panasonic Ff cameras but I just want real specs and features to fantasize about.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Professional cameras are built for professionals. Of course most ppl here don’t want it. Most ppl don’t want a d5 or a 1dx either. These are tools not for the masses.
We still have the em1mkii, em5ii, em10iii, pen, or tough.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
This makes sense. There was rumour of a super fast new sensor of 18mp before the em1.2 was announced and it would make sense if this will be akin to the gh5s but oriented at sports and wildlife folk for that high iso performance.

Then the em1.2 keeps its current position, the em5.3 gets the same sensor but stripped down form factor and buffers (as with em1.1 vs em5.2), and the em10 continues to milk the 16mp sony sensor (which is still a good sensor).

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Try photography in a forest...

How about a dark building in the forest...

Maybe others don't think them worth much, but I am proud of those images. I think the 16mp mft cameras return outstanding results. New bells and whistles are just additional means for the artist, not ends of themselves. I just like to work with what I have.
I always find myself pushing the iso limits of my em1 II. I don’t plan on it, but I guess I just like the little dark corners of the world.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
I feel like if you are in the market for a $5,000 camera, this camera won't be for you either.

It seems to me like Olympus needs to be figuring out how to take advantage of the fact that m4/3 systems are smaller than other systems, rather than trying to imitate larger systems. Here's what I want: a Pen-F that lets me take jpeg+RAW and has an Android implementation that lets me do things like auto-upload my jpegs to Google Photos and lets me share on Instagram.

In other words, I want an m4/3 camera with some of the cool software features that cell phones have, rather than trying to match the hardware features of larger cameras. As an added bonus, adding those cool software features should be possible even on lower end models that don't cost $5,000.
IMHO with the hype coming through 43 rumours it seems to be consistent in that this camera is going to surprise us with more than better AF and warmed over sensor ... where's my TARDIS for a quick trip to Jan 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom