1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FT5: olympus 25mm f1.8

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by hazwing, Jan 3, 2014.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I had my doubts on whether this was coming, but it has recently been confirmed as FT5 on 43rumour website:
    http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-there-will-be-a-25mm-f1-8-lens/

Looking forward to cost and seeing how this performs. I may need to rethink my prime lens line up, depending on how this and the pana 15mm perform.

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    If priced like Nikon's nifty fifty, it will be an interesting addition to the format. Personally, I couldn't hold out any longer and wound up buying the Leica.

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I really hope it's priced 'nifty'-ly :smile:

4. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    It's needs to be $400 or less (hopefully less)
    Panasonic 25 goes for $530 at B&H...... so they will hopefully sell it for less, or your asking the consumer to make a choice. Price it lower, it's a no brainer
    Panasonic has wacky pricing-- Small dealers get one price ($630)--B&H,Adorama, and Amazon get lower one($530)
    Olympus seems to have the same price everywhere
    Could be a real boon for the local B&M, especially since Amazon is now charging tax in a lot of states

5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    My guess is that it will be a weather sealed kit option for the new OMD. If that's the case, I might be in the market for the new model, trading my old Panny 20 for the 25.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Seems like forever ago that we broke this rumor. Glad to hear it is really going to happen!

My hope is that they follow the 45/1.8 model:
    -Doesn't have to be a pancake
    -Doesn't have to be metal or have snap mode
    -Does have to be sharp wide open
    -Does have to be small, light, and relatively inexpensive

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nikon makes a very good 18.5mm 1.8 lens for the 1 system and it sells for under $200! This lens doesn't have to be fancy. Just needs to be sharp! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Basic weather-sealing would be pretty nifty!

• Like Like x 1
  9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Neat. I'm guessing it'll be similar in quality to the 45mm. I like premium lenses, but I want a diversified lens ecosystem more.

I'm still hoping for the day when Olympus decides to go faster than f1.8, which they're more than capable of doing. There was a time when they said f2 was fast enough, so they might change again.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Might be time for me to take another look at that system!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Of all the mirrorless system, the Nikon 1 has the most affordable fast 50mm equivalent. If Olympus can make the 25mm 1.8 and price it right, I'm pretty sure it'll sell like hotcakes!

12. IMO, the worst feature of the 25mm f1.4 is the f1.4. If I could program the camera to not go below f1.8 when using the camera in 'S' mode I would. Aside from that it is an absolutely wonderful lens and I would be loathe to replace it with anything else even though a smaller and lower cost lens would be nice. Both the 17mm and 45mm f1.8 Olympus lenses have a different character to the 25mm f1.4.

13. Oh, and the standard that Olympus should be aiming for in a small, lower cost, normal focal length lens is the Samsung 30mm f2. Wish them luck...

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

An E-M10 bundled with a sharp, small 25mm f1.8 at kit price would be a tempting shift from my E-M5 and PL25...

• Like Like x 1
  15. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Oh yes...

16. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have been tempted saw a J1 with 10-30 for £120 that with something like the 18.5 could make a fun kit, decided to round out my m43 before going for another fun bit of kit.

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am eager to see the final product! I will gladly give up a 2/3 stop to save money. If it is smaller and lighter that makes it all the better.

18. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    I'm hoping it's more "pancake-ish" :D The Pana-Leica looks great, but I find the 20mm to be just as good honestly. Just for the fact the 20mm is smaller I opt to use it more.

19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    They have a 25mm f2.8 pancake in 4/3's - not sure whether any of that design/tooling is re-usable. Reviews haven't been particularly stellar for it either so maybe they're better off starting from scratch.

20. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I think I'm against the grain on this one and actually hope they don't underprice it... As always, when there's three options you can only have two:

- Cheap
    - Compact
    - Quality

For me, the potential appeal of a 25/f1.8 lies in the latter two. I have the Nokton 25mm and love the focal length and quality but the size can be a pain, as can manual focus. The PL 25mm would be tempting but it's still too big to justify having both...

What would tempt me though is a compact (smaller than m.ZD 17mm) 25mm with a slower aperture (f1.8 would be fine) and exception image quality, including wide-open, built to the same standard as the 12mm/17mm with snap-focus. Given that it's easier to build a fast normal than a fast wide-normal, I'd expect it to be a little cheaper than the 17mm.

Obviously this is what I want, not necessarily what the market/Olympus wants :rolleyes: