(FT5) First Panasonic GH2 picture!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by culip, Sep 17, 2010.

1. culip

culip Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

[​IMG]

Finally we have the first image of the Panasonic GH2! As we told you days ago the Panasonic GH2 looks more like the new Panasonic G2 than the older Panasonic GH1.

The GH2 has following specs:
    - 18 Megapixels multiscale sensor (16 effective Megapixels)
    - 100-12.800 ISO (But I dont know how it takes the 12.800 ISO pictures)
    - 24Mbit/s AVCHD video recording
    - The GH2 has one LSI with three cores (instead of current two cores of the GH1)
    - Improved AF speed (0.099 second with the 14-140mm kit-lens)
    - High-speed burst shooting of 5 fps with 16 MP
    - Super high-speed burst shooting of 40 fps (lower resolution)
    - Touch screen LCD
    - announced 21 September at photokina
    - (FT3)Two new sources just told us the camera has real 1080p60 output “masked” as 1080i60. This because AVCHD specification does not include 1080p60. You have to set it to 60p (manually) in Final Cut (or other editing software). This rumor has to be confirmed by our sources so take it with a grain of salt

2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Sounds good but I still hate the grip on the Panasonic pseudo-dSLR style cameras as it is just too uncomfortable. Why not build the same functionality into a GF format body?

3. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    14-140 kit lens? At kit price?

4. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I read somewhere today that the price might be as pictured @ 1,499. (USD). Hopefully, it is a lot lower without the 14-140 in a body only option. There was also some speculation that it would also be offered with another model lens at a lower price. I guess we will have to continue with the speculation until they actually release something officially.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Because they are gearing at pseudo video guys. A GF body style would not be easy to use. I would gather.

Personally, I want them to ditch this 14-140mm kit lens. I don't want it. And say I have it from the GH1 and just want a new or 2nd body for multiple perspectives for shooting video, where's the body only options?

Oh, and I also want to see a 2 stop improvement in high ISO along w/ expanded dynamic range :)

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Given a lot of upgraders from GH1s expected who own a 14-140 it would make sense for Pana to offer a body only option this time. Nothing compels me to upgrade my hacked GH1 at this stage.

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    If this becomes true, especially the specs on improved high-ISO performance, I'll surely upgrade from my G1. I hope they offer a body-only package, but I'll buy it anyway with lens and sell the lens later if I don't like it after all. Way to go, Panasonic! :thumbup:

Edit: and if the high-ISO performance isn't much better than the GH1: GH1 owners, please upgrade and sell your GH1! :biggrin:

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Not only that but perhaps also a GH1't' with the new body style, same GH1 sensor and the new touch-screen.
    I wonder what they're going to put the old GH1 sensor in ... or if they only had limited stocks anyway : perhaps this new sensor is actually cheaper to produce than the cutting-edge GH1 sensor?

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm waiting to see sample images and detailed DxO-type reviews on the new sensor. On paper it looks like a decent upgrade, but the jury is still out if it's a significant enough upgrade to prompt me to sell my GH1 for one.

10. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    And how much cash you have to add (or other glass to sell)...

11. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Not a lot given the prices for hackable GH1's on eBay. In fact, if I can sell my GH1 body for the going rate of roughly $700, I'll come out ahead over what I paid for the whole kit a year ago ($999) since I get to keep the kit lens.

12. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Sounds good (until they found how to hack the GH2).

13. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It'll give me just enough time to evaluate the GH2 to see if it's a worthwhile improvement to the GH1. At a minimum, I want to see if they've solved the banding issues, to see how they've dealt with long exposure noise, and to see how they're doing noise management. If it's the crappy software processing like in the G2/LX5, I'm keeping the GH1. If it's real hardware noise reduction up to at least 3200, I'll likely upgrade. Anything other than that would just be added bonuses.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    I bought a BRAND NEW GH1 Body on ebay from ********** last week for $659.00 so 700 for a used one is wishful thinking.

I don't expect much ISO improvement because it's not mentioned in the sales specs. I would think Pan would hype it, if it existed.

15. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Last two hackable GH1s that sold on eBay were both over $800... Not exactly wishful thinking. New ones aren't worth as much because they're not hackable.

16. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    I don't need the video, so I would rather have a brand new non hackable body

17. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry, I'm missing the point you're trying to make. You were contesting the fact that I could sell my hackable GH1 for $700, and I said they're selling for $800+. Clearly you're not the one buying it if you're not interested in video. For me it makes sense since it's about what I paid for the whole kit a year ago, which means I'd get to upgrade to the GH2 for free (depending on the price for the new camera), which makes the upgrade worth it unless they make it worse than the GH1 somehow.

18. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Wait 3-4 months more for GF2

43 Rumors | Home

19. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    What I mean was,, i wouldn't buy a used GH1 for $700 when I just bought a new one for $650 body only. Yes the one I bought is not hackable, but I really don't care about the video.

As far as the GH2 goes, it's all just a sales brochure right now. Who knows what it can and can't do. The ONLY thing in my book that would make it a worthwhile upgrade is less noise at higher ISOs and if I am correct, there no mention of ISO noise in Pans promotional material, so the assumption must be that there is no improvement.