(FT4) EM-6 Phase Detection on sensor & Incorporating VF4

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jsusilo, May 13, 2013.

1. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    (FT4) First E-M6 rumors. Same VF-4 viewfinder quality and Phase Detection on sensor. | 43 Rumors

Not sure if having phase-detection AF is good or bad thing on next generation of Olympus OMD. It's confusing because when Sony started to incorporate Hybrid Phase & Contrast Detect AF System, not all E-Mount lenses are compatible despite having firmware upgrade.

There are unknown as to where the m43 AF system will be. What direction Olympus is taking this? Is it (1) improvement of current contrast detect, (2) completely new phase-detect like or (3) hybrid of the two. I would assume that going to completely new phase-detect AF may render incompatibility of native m43 lenses but opens up m43 body to legacy 4/3 lenses.

Going hybrid AF system that works for both 4/3 and m43 are ideal, but until there're more clarity on this, it can be confusing whether to continue invest in native m43 (or not). It may be best to do nothing until EM6 (rumored before end of this year) is released thus more clarity.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think I'm going to be very happy with my OMD for at least a year. I don't use 43 lenses, so I don't care about hybrid AF, unless they release new, smaller/lighter lenses with that capability. That would be more interesting to me.

The VF4 would be a wonderful-to-have, but for me, the VF is about framing, and the OMD is fine right now.

Current OMD has a nice shutter sound, great speed, looks good, and has nice control.

The ONLY thing I'd be impressed with is if they could increase the build quality. The OMD still feels a little cheapy to me. My outgoing EPL5 has a better build feel than the OMD. Also, the bezel cracks, and early reports of the control dials popping off. Squishy buttons, too (I know, due to weather sealing). If they can make it feel a little more solid, without a significant gain in size or weight, then I'd be interested.

If, however, they move more towards the GH3 approach, with a much larger body for better construction, bigger VF and more bulk to handle the larger 43 lenses, well, I wouldn't be interested in that at all, I think.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I think really that hybrid AF is the only reasonable interpretation of this rumour...which, again, is only rumor in any case. Olympus has said a few times now that they want to merge 4/3s with μ43 and hybrid AF is really the only way they could do that.

All that to say, there's nothing to be concerned about in terms of the future of the system on this front. It seems unwise to put stock in rumors in making judgments about the viability of the system in any case.

4. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Would current lenses (e.g. the Olympus 75mm 1.8 I have on order) support PDAF, too?
    Or would they need to introduce new lenses to support PDAF, which would be a real pity.....?

5. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Unfortunately likely no one could answer this 100% .. I am on the same boat wanting to buy more of higher quality native m43 lenses .. but I find it risky to invest on expensive lenses knowing it could end like 4/3 system.

Irrespective of what AF system future Olympus body / sensor will be, the m43 system have gained solid footing and market exposure, that I have to believe it'll be there forever. That said, I have funny feeling that at some point there'll be more pro- type camera and lenses Olympus line be releasing in future .. perhaps it starts with EM6 later this year ... If only we know:)

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    ...but it would give Olympus another chance (or even two, if they choose not to release silver and black versions simultaneously) to sell new versions of existing lenses. :wink:

In all seriousness, I am almost positive that any implementation of PDAF would have to be as a "hybrid" system. Doing otherwise, they'd be walking away from the investment they've made in the CDAF lenses.

To me, implementing PDAF seems a natural as the "killer feature" of the next OM-D.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, it could just be as an alternative for those with 4/3 lenses. But that would suppose that the E-M6 will be the new flagship.

8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    But 1st and 2nd gen PDAF will probably still be slow and not fully ironed out, much like how the CDAF was until the FAST system was implemented in the EP3 and further improved in the OM-D.

I'd rather see Olympus focus on video then PDAF. Seems to me that any hybrid would be a compromise and most would still complain its not as good as the nikon or canon dslr tracking af.

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Scuse my ignorance, but is there a technical reason why PDAF would require new lenses?

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Different motors. CDAF generally designed to step back and forth (to help find contrast differences) in little amounts. PDAF generally designed to slam to the distance given to it by the AF processor.

The former has been historically slower but more accurate, the latter has generally been faster, but prone to issues ("calibration" meaning the AF processor and the lens agree what what "10 meters" actually is -- manufacturing being what it is, if the processor's concept of 10m is +5% and the lenses concept of 10m is -5%, add in narrow DOF, and you get front or back focusing issues. That's why the better DSLR now have lens calibration in the menu options -- and can store multiple lenses, and some even differentiate the long or the short end of the same zoom lens)

The recent breakthrough in CDAF has been faster processors and faster motors. So, you still have to send the lens back-and-forth, but the lenses have gotten faster, and the processors are using faster brains to process the data. Oly clearly is king here, but they've been doing serious CDAF (i.e. not just on point and shoots) longer than anyone else. The hybrid concept is that -- maybe -- PDAF can get you in the general ballpark, and CDAF can finish it off.

Also, PDAF understands distance, and knows you are likely trying to focus on the thing closer to you. CDAF only knows contrast, and if your subject is less contrasty than the background, it can accidentally grab the background for focus. This is also in theory where a hybrid could help.

11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    From Olympus standpoint .. I must say it is most logical to have m43 body that works well on both 4/3 & m43 lenses. Yes the size of the body will have to be larger (than current OMD) to balance the larger 4/3 lenses e.g. GH3 like but larger may be a small price given the selection of lenses it offers. Also, to have such camera, it will not only boost sales in existing 4/3 lenses, but also close gap to traditional DSLR... obviously these are all speculating nonsense:) but yet interesting if true.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sorry, but I really disagree with the whole theory of 'body needs to be bigger'.

Some folks prefer a larger body, and that's what the grip is for. Others don't, and don't need it for good handling. My 100-400 on a 5D or a 300D was huge, in relative and absolute terms, compared to the body, but the handling was perfectly fine. You hold the body by the lens, not the lens by the body.

13. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    +1

I have no problem with the 50-200mm SWD on the OM-D. I just would like to have MF become a choice rather than an obligation..

14. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Do you think that current lenses could benefit from a hybrid autofocus?

15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    We all have to buy all new lenses anyway! Now that they have launched the new range of black lenses, our silver ones are obsolete!