1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FT-to-MFT adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ecrispi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. ecrispi

ecrispi New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2014
    Vic, Barcelona
    Eduard Crispi
    Hi, I am quite new into the 4/3 and mu4/3 world.

I own a OMD EM1 and I would like to buy a 250 or 300mm lens. The ones I have seen are 4/3 and need the converter to micro 4/3.

What are the disadvantges of such adapters? Am I going to keep all the functionalities of my camera? What about AF?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Eduard
    www.eduardcrispi.com

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    They work fine. There are several native 300mm zooms.

The 4/3 lenses are exceptional but large.

3. sneezy

sneezy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    Martin
    I've used a cheap Ebay unit called a FOTGA AB083 from Ebay and found it didn't fit very well, I then reluctantly spent 3x more on a Olympus MMF-3 and it fits nicely. Both functioned fine with the auto focus and aperture of my E-M1.

Pulled the FOTGA apart (because I can) and here is a picture of it's guts. No electronics inside, just through wiring.

Martin

Attached Files:

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I was actually going to buy this adapter because funds are low and I only will have one lens to put it on.
    What do you think about the Viltrox adapter ? It looks identical to the MMF-2.

5. sneezy

sneezy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    Martin
    The Viltrox adapter might have a better fit, but I think it's going to be a bit random with cheap non genuine from what I read since I bought the FOTGA. It may be just luck as too how good the lens fit is as the machining tolerance needs to be very good.

The MMF-3 is nice if you have a weather proof lens to fit on to it (I have two currently) and the fit is good.
    Martin

Attached Files:

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I originally bought the Panasonic DMW-MA1, not weather sealed, but OEM quality and around $115 four years ago. I decided to buy a cheap knock-off for $40 off ebay this year. I have Viltrox extension tubes, and the fit is too tight to my cameras, so I did not buy their FT-MFT adapter, figuring they use a similar design..

The one I bought is unbranded, but may well be the same part as a Fotga. I think it fits quite well, but seems to have a plastic body, so I don't use it with heavy lenses.I put it on my 35mm macro and it stays there. My heaviest FT lens is the 70-300, but I often attach OM lenses using a OM-FT adapter sandwiched onto the FT-MFT.

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well my problem is that I am broke & not really working much this summer, yet I seen a lens deal that I couldn't pass up. It was a ZD 14-54mm MkI, for ninety dollars. So I charged It just because it was such a great deal, but now I need an adapter for it so I am trying to be thrifty. I have a GH2 currently, so I do not think I need a Weather proof adapter, only a very cheep one.
    Unless someone reading this wishes to donate one :smile:

8. sneezy

sneezy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    Martin
    I know how it is I over spent on the E-M1 myself, then found a ZD 12-60mm SWD advertised at price I wouldn't find again very soon. So the MMF-3 had to wait a month or so (after the FOTGA arrived).

The FOTGA AB083 will work fine enough to use your ZD14-54mm, just expect it won't fit as nice as a genuine adapter would have and you won't be disappointed. If you were in Australia I'd sell mine on to you cheap :)
    I bought mine from an seller called Filterplaza. I recommend you find a different seller than them if you buy one. The FOTGA is a metal body adapter, and would support any weight lens, it also has it's own 1/4" thread camera mount block on the bottom.
    Martin

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I didn't realize that it was a metal body adapter, I did not see that mentioned in the listings that I looked at. I remember back when the MMF-2 adapters came out people saying how they were cheaper and more plasticy than the MMF-1 adapter. Are the MMF-3 and Fotga adapters the only metal bodied adapters ?

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Personally I would go for the MMF-3. The body is sealed, the lenses in that range are usually sealed, so may as well complete the set.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the mmf3 has metal mounts but iirc the body is plastic.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've got both the MMF2 and MMF3 and both appear to work equally well, but I use the MMF3 because it's weather sealed to match my lenses. The issue with some aftermarket adapters is the actual tolerances aren't always that good and so you won't get quite the precision that you do with the OEM ones.

13. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I have managed to resist the siren call of 4/3 lenses, so I have not needed that adapter.

However, I have OM lenses that are nice to use on μ43. I originally bought a 3rd party adapter - there are no electrical connections, so all it needs to do is fit - and it worked okay. Then I found an Olympus adapter at less than half the exorbitant RRP in Oz, so bought that. Wow! It fits so much better - it mounts more smoothly than the cheap copy, but then it is rock solid whereas the copy always allowed some movement.

Sometimes there IS a difference in quality between Olympus and 3rd party kit.