Ft macro for mFT?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 6x6, Jun 18, 2012.

1. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Maybe a question easily solved by using the search function, but my search (in a foreign language) didnt bring what I want.

So I would like to ask whether somone uses the FT 50/2 macro for general telephoto use and the occasional macro shot.

Currently I own no telephoto lens and would like to get the 45/1.8. On the other hand, being able to do some macro (the od leafs and flowers( ould be great, too.

A second-hand 50mm would be a bit more expensive than the 45mm new and then there is the question of the adapter, I dont know which one as there is a whole lot out there.

What are your thoughts on that subject? 50mm + adapter or 45mm?
  2. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    It depends on your camera and budget. I had the Olympus macro for a while and HATED it. On my G1, it wouldn't auto-focus and the manual focus was a mess, jumping in and out of "Focus Assist" on a whim. Not a problem if you have a EP or EM, I believe.
    If your budget runs to it, I would recommend the Panasonic Leica 45mm f2.8 Macro, which is a dedicated MFT lens. I've been using one for a while now and it is not only a great macro, but it is a very capable portrait lens too, producing nice, neutral bokeh. It gets mediocre reviews in many places, but I use it a lot and am very pleased with it.
  3. Kismet

Kismet New to Mu-43

I have both the m43 Oly 45mm and the FT 50 macro. I had the m43 45 macro and sold it. I was not impressed with the image quality and it was quirky and slow focusing on my ep3 (which I also sold to get the em5).

The Oly 45 is a good lens with fast AF. The Oly 50 is an outstanding lens with crappy AF. I use the 45 for portraits and the 50 for landscapes and macro- anytime I don't need fast, accurate AF. I absolutely love the lens and will never sell it. I even will use it for portraits (when the subject is fairly patient). But I shoot weddings and kids, and the 50 is in no way suitable for that, except for ring and detail shots...

I use the MMF 3 adapter but any of the MMFs will work just fine.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    As an autofocus lens, the 50/2 on MFT was an exercise in frustration for me. And if I have to manually focus, I much prefer legacy lenses due to their smooth, coupled focusing rings (not focus by wire).

I'd say get the 45/1.8 and a manual focus macro lens and adapter, or the 45/1.8 and a screw-in close-up lens (like the MCON-P01 or one of the Marumi Achromat lenses). Costwise they'll be about the same, but either option will be much more pleasant to use.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you can hold off for a few months, the weatherproof mZuiko 60/2.8 will be available.
  6. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Thank you for the input, I will go for the 45/1.8 and see about macro later.
  7. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    If you are searching for a macro lens you may look for the 35mm f3.5 plus the adatpter 43-m43.
    I have both 50mm f2 and 35mm f3.5, the 50mm have an outstanding image quality but on my e-pl1 the AF is extremly slow and inaccurate. The 35mm instead have a very impressive image quality and AF speed is not as slow as the 50mm, it use about 1 second to get the right focus.