Frustrations with FD -> M43 adapter, aperture stuck?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by peripatew, Dec 31, 2010.

1. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    It doesn't seem that I can change the aperture on my two Canon FD lenses with my Fotodiox adapter. I know it's cheap, but I think I'm doing something wrong.

I've only just received my GH2, and I've never used manual lenses before.

But I can set my 24mm to f/2.0 take a picture, and then go to f/16 and take a picture, and they look identical.

Is there a special way to attach the adapter? Both lenses use the "twist on" collar.

I've fiddled with it for an hour or two, but can't seem to make any progress.

I'm also trying to get a 35-105 f/3.5-5.6 to work, and it's the same.

Thanks for the help, and let me know if I need to provide some more info.

L

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    L, when you say they look the same...
    Exposure should look the same but check the Depth of Field in the images, they should not look the same....
    Post a few pics if ya can...
    Shooter

• Like Like x 1
  3. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    The Shots are identical. I'm using full manual, and only adjusting the aperture ring.

When I put the 24mm lens on the Canon Ae-1 Program that it came with, the little "switch" that would normally close the aperture doesn't seem to do anything either.

Is there a way to see the aperture blades open and close by just holding only the lens?

4. Are you mounting the lens with the adapter collar in the 'open' position and then rotating it to the 'lock' position? This operates the dof preview lever on the back of the lens.

5. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Thanks for the help.

With the zoom, I can set the aperture, then change the lock/open and see the aperture blades move.

I found this post that talks about opening the lens up, but I'm afraid to so this as this the 24mm seems to be rare.
    Vivitar 28mm F2 aperture blades - PentaxForums.com

I can now get the zoom to change aperture on camera, so I understand the adapter now. But nothing with the 24mm.

?

I don't see this with the 24mm, no matter what I try.

6. Sounds like the aperture blades are stuck wide open. I have a 50mm f1.4 SSC with the same problem which I just use for display. It would be a shame as an FD 24/2 would be quite rare.

7. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I've had the same thing happen a couple of times. It's always been a problem with the adapter, not the lens. If the little stick or bolt on the adapter that engages with the aperture control tab on the back of the lens is at the front side of that tab, nothing happens. It needs to be behind it so it can push the tab along its curved slot. A little experimenting with the adapter should show the best way to put it on, if in fact that's the problem in this case.

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    as Scott says

it is a very "fiddly" adapter - if you do not mount it "right" it does not connect to the "lever" that changes the aperture - it can be "hit and miss" - keep trying it slightly different positions until you figure out how it works, (fits) - "they are all, (can be), like that"

9. John007

John007 New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2010
    There is a small pin near the threads, What I did is I put a extension tube and glued it, to enable the pin to reach the metal based of the adapter.. it works on all my M42 lens..

[ame]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/boyanzky/P1010186.jpg[/ame]

10. I think if the dof preview on an AE-1 does not force the aperture blades on the 24mm to stop down then it is sadly a lens problem :frown: