1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Frustrating and fun at the same time!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Shutterdad, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I've been away from photography for a couple of years. I had knee surgery earlier in the week, so I started lurking on the forums again. My biggest observation is the prices of these mf lenses have taken a jump and my Epl1 is old, but still producing great images. I used to buy all my used gear from Keh and B&H. Their selection has gone down and prices have almost doubled. Supply and demand. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house and hitting the thrift stores.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome back. I think the popularity of Sony offerings has really jacked up the used MF lens market. Not so easy to find bargains that used to crop out quite often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    You are probably right. I had my Epl1 for a good while and I was making a delivery to a Target store and found a NexF3 on clearance for $149, so I bought it as well. I do like the Sony, but I've always been an Olympus fanboy dating back to my 4/3rd days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    On the good news, prices for native lenses went down significantly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Sony really changed everything.

I have a friends who used to make a living converting various old glass (Minolta MD, Canon FD, Konica etc.) to Canon EF. Now people don't need his services anymore, if they want to use old lenses on a modern body, they simply buy Sony A7 which can be had relatively cheaply nowadays.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Unless you go nuts, there aren't that many old lenses that one really needs. I guess it would be a bummer to start buying legacy lenses today, now that pricing has gone up. Just stick to the 50's and 135's for entry level. Pick up a fast mid tele if you find a deal.

There's no need to buy any of the legacy 24 and 28 wide angles. Most weren't good to begin with, and if the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 starts selling used for under $150, I think the M43 is far superior.

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    heh - sounds like someone is trying to get 24's and 28's for a song and don't want good competition :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    You aren't joking about prices going up on used legacy lenses going up. These aren't in that category, but several years ago I bought 3 of the Nikon Series E lenses from KEH. Paid $45-$60 each, all were Ex+ condition w/caps and covers and now they are all $120 and up. I should have snapped up on legacy glass and make a tidy profit.

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Look at Konica glass. Might still be cheap. The only downside is there are no focal reducers available for the Konica mount. However the 1st gen Sony A7 series are slowly dropping in price as well as the Fujifilm series of bodies.

10. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I'll take a look. Thanks!