Frustrated at Lack of Release Date and Kit Lens Info (GH3)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wikoproductions, Nov 12, 2012.

1. wikoproductions

wikoproductions Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2012
    Who else is frustrated that there isn't a firm release date yet for the GH3 (atleast where I am, Vancouver Canada)? Is it normal and just par-for-the-course when it comes to big releases, or is there some amount of blundering going on?

With the release date supposedly close, and the extra financial expenses that come with this season (Christmas shopping, winter tires etc.), it would definitely be nice if I knew exactly when I'll be ~$1400+ poorer.

I also can't find any official word yet on the kit lens pricing and availability for the 14-140mm or the 12-35mm that's likely to come as a bundle with the body. Does this mean that upon release, the GH3 will surely be available only as a standalone body and it will be some time before you can get either of those two lenses at a kit lens discount?

I have the GH3 preordered with a deposit at a local chain, and I'm first in line for one, but I wonder how they're going to allocate them if Panasonic releases lens kits at the same time.
  2. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Apparently it's normal with Panasonic (and Olympus) now, they even show lenses that will be released in 2013-2014! :confused: Gotta keep the hype, seems that lots of folks stick with the system because of all those "promised goodies" so that's what the manufacturers do — create an illusion of abundance.
    I always wonder why people do it? :smile: It's not like you booked some fancy hooker and need to be the first in line for her service.. :biggrin: What's the point of paying for a tool that doesn't have any serious reviews out yet, can have some unexpected issues at the time it's released, that is likely to get polished firmware in the following months and even might get cheaper, not to mention possible kits with 12-35. Why already give your money away for something that you haven't even seen "in person" yet?
  3. wikoproductions

wikoproductions Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2012
    I preordered with a refundable deposit due to the uncertainty of sufficient quantities available upon release.

Are you saying it's probable that the 12-35mm kit won't be available at launch? That's unfortunate if it's the case. :mad:
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Panasonic's inability to distribute and ship and market properly is a long standing point of frustration for many, frankly. And it's a large part of why they have no marketshare; nobody in the mainstream knows the stupid things even exist.
  5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

In the US it's been stated, several times, that the 1st shipment was scheduled for the last week in November. That's what was confirmed at PhotoPlus show in NYC.

Those who placed early orders will be receiving them from the first shipment. Would you expect?
  6. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I've always heard Dec 13 as the US release date. There is frustration in that the lens kits are not available at this late date, even though they are listed on the panasonic website (12-35 and another i don't remember). I just went ahead and purchased the 12-35 with my EM-5 because 1) it may be a looong time before Gh3's are plentiful and 2) i heard the kit discount on this lens would be minimal.
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I doubt you'll get more than $300 discount on the kit lens. That's typical.

For something like the 12-35mm, discount should be minimum. This is a lens that Panasonic can sell out without being bundled with a camera body.
  8. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The GH3 has quite a pre-order list so if you are not already on with the big boys then go for a local retailer.

I'm hoping to get some concrete info soon from my friends at Panasonic. Can't wait for the GH3 myself.
  9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not for awhile

Personally, I don't think you'll see a "kit" for a while. Most people buying the GH3 are probably upgrading from another camera, so they have the lens. I'm pretty sure that Panasonic has some sort of a rebate program where you can get a partial refund when a lens is purchased with a body. I know that Unique Photo had this deal going for some time.

The December 13 date was quoted on the Panasonic Direct web page as the estimated shipping date for the 2nd shipment. The first already sold out, mainly to dealers. Got this info from Panny at the Photo Plus show.