Fruit

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Ray,
Looks good brother. By the way, could you explain how you got that cool border.
I'm sure others would like to know...
Don

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Ray,
Don
Yeah, its becoming all the rage. :cool:

After extensive consultation with a more learned member of the forum, who's been known to feature a border from time to time, I played around endlessly with Aperture 3 and found there was no particularly easy way to do it. Basic exporting is a one or two click process, but exporting with a border involves setting an image (or batch of 'em) up to print, setting the parameters of the print job to include margins and borders, and then printing to a PDF instead of a printer. And under the print to PDF menu that comes up when you elect to print to a PDF, is an option to make it a jpeg and direct it toward a particular folder. The only way to control the size, resolution, etc, of the resulting jpeg is to make the "print" job larger or smaller. With a bit of experimentation, I put together a print format "preset" that sets it up correctly and makes the job a bit easier, but only a bit.

That's a quick sketch of how it works with Aperture 3. I'd be willing to bet the big bucks that each PP program does it differently. Maybe someone familar with the ways of Lightroom, Photoshop, and others would like to explain how it could be done in those programs?

-Ray

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ray,
Don
Isn't it just canvas size and image size in photoshop save as a Jpeg and do it again, the canvas size bit? - or is it "cooler" than that

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Ray, you might want to try this which apparently works with Aperture 3 and has now been updated. I mentioned it first in the Aperture thread here: https://www.mu-43.com/f74/aperture-3-how-use-raw-jpeg-more-1066/index3.html#post12104 Just checked it out here BorderFX Plug-ins and it is available now as a plug in for Aperture 3.

I believe Tom/thearne3 has been using it for a while.
THANK YOU!! Just downloaded it and checked it out. Works perfectly, easily, quickly, all of that. Much easier than setting it up to print and lots more options too. Excellent. Sorry I missed it the first time through. This is a great place!

-Ray

rst

Mu-43 Regular
ImageMagick is also a good option for borders. I wrote some border scripts which will be called as a post export action from Lightroom and I would be surprised if Aperture would not have a similar feature. The borders I use for my images in this forum are all done with such scripts. It might be a little bit cryptic, but I can not think of anything more flexible than ImageMagick.

Cheers
Ruediger

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom