Fruit

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Ray Sachs, May 19, 2010.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray,
    Looks good brother. By the way, could you explain how you got that cool border.
    I'm sure others would like to know...
    Don

3. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, its becoming all the rage. :cool:

After extensive consultation with a more learned member of the forum, who's been known to feature a border from time to time, I played around endlessly with Aperture 3 and found there was no particularly easy way to do it. Basic exporting is a one or two click process, but exporting with a border involves setting an image (or batch of 'em) up to print, setting the parameters of the print job to include margins and borders, and then printing to a PDF instead of a printer. And under the print to PDF menu that comes up when you elect to print to a PDF, is an option to make it a jpeg and direct it toward a particular folder. The only way to control the size, resolution, etc, of the resulting jpeg is to make the "print" job larger or smaller. With a bit of experimentation, I put together a print format "preset" that sets it up correctly and makes the job a bit easier, but only a bit.

That's a quick sketch of how it works with Aperture 3. I'd be willing to bet the big bucks that each PP program does it differently. Maybe someone familar with the ways of Lightroom, Photoshop, and others would like to explain how it could be done in those programs?

-Ray

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Give FrameFun a whirl - it's free. A little bit of figuring out and trial and error with this software but it does the job.

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Isn't it just canvas size and image size in photoshop save as a Jpeg and do it again, the canvas size bit? - or is it "cooler" than that

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    THANK YOU!! Just downloaded it and checked it out. Works perfectly, easily, quickly, all of that. Much easier than setting it up to print and lots more options too. Excellent. Sorry I missed it the first time through. This is a great place!

-Ray

8. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Frames and borders

Photoscape (free) has a tool to add borders (more than 100). I've been using it for a while now and it's really easy.

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Great, Ray! I'll have to do that... I'm still running on my old '06 MacBook Pro which is not the best, but hope to upgrade soon. Glad to be of help Ray and thanks for your quick feedback, too!

10. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    ImageMagick is also a good option for borders. I wrote some border scripts which will be called as a post export action from Lightroom and I would be surprised if Aperture would not have a similar feature. The borders I use for my images in this forum are all done with such scripts. It might be a little bit cryptic, but I can not think of anything more flexible than ImageMagick.

Cheers
    Ruediger