Front/rear configuration on M10 (while I wait)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 6BQ5, May 30, 2015.

1. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    I have been reading the E-M10 owners manual online while I wait for my unit to arrive. The manual is a little unclear on how much I can customize the front and rear dials. Is it possible to configure the dials in Aperture Priority mode such that the front controls the aperture and the rear controls ISO?

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    No control for the ISO, only aperature, flash compensation, or exposure compensation.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    With 'Multi Function' button (Fn2 by default?) you can use front or rear dial for ISO and other dial for WB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    Yes, but not diretly
    We can assign downward button of rear 4 way controller as ISO&WB or WB&ISO (front dial &rear dial)
    Press the downward button first then use the rear dial to choose ISO

5. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    Interesting to know and a little odd to me!

I configured the two dials on my K-3 in Av mode to adjust aperture (front) and ISO (back). Shutter speed is set by the camera. It's very convenient when you don't want/need full TAv mode and when you want to decide on the lowest possible ISO for the lowest noise possible. For example, I may be OK with 1/60th and ISO 200. The camera would rather set 1/120th and ISO 400. Exposure compensation is a separate button near the shutter button. There is also a separate ISO button too.

I realize that I am trying to bend a M10 a little bit to become a small K-3. The M10 will be different. Hmmm ... something to learn and try to expand my experience. :)

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Before you freak out on what EM10 selects, beware that it's flash lower sync speed that commands lowest speed when EM10 allowed to select ISO and speed.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The Oly cameras will try to give you a shutter speed equal to focal lenght x 2 or Flash-Sync-Speed if this is higher (even when NOT using flash). The ISO will be pushed up as needed to get this speed. So if you were using a 60mm lens is normal to get 1/120 and whatever ISO is needed.
    Considering IBIS this choice is often too conservative and tends to rise ISO too much.

Anyway it looks like you cannot directly assign ISO to a dial, strange, I just do not get some choices. Multi-function is not bad when you select only the function you use most.

8. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    @Klorenzo@Klorenzo - Yes, IBIS can enable photographers to use shutter speeds lower than the typical guidelines of 1/(35mm equiv. focal length). On my K-3 I can shoot static subjects at 1/(actual focal length) with good results 90% of the time. One way to lower the shutter speed while maintaining exposure is to lower ISO. Likewise, I can go the other way and raise shutter speed by either raising ISO or opening my aperture. It sounds like a strange way to shoot in TAv mode without being in TAv mode but it works very well to give the photographer a lot of control.

Having the rear dial perform exposure compensation enables a different technical approach. As a RAW shooter, I can control my histogram and push it to the right as much as I can. How much I can push it depends on the specific.

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have a doubt: when I said "I just do not get some choices" it was referred to Olympus, not to you. They let you configure a lot of things but with some pesky little limitations here and there like this one.

I have been in your exact situation, trying to gain ISO because I know that I can get away with less speed, maybe I found a support or I just trust IBIS for at least one stop. So you can do this but is one button click away. Or move to Manual of course. You could write to Olympus about this, I did and they looked quite receptive.

BTW: try the Highlights & Shadows display mode too ;)