1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

front page stories

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Linh, May 1, 2011.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I usually hit up mu-43.com directly and don't jump to the forums right away. When reading a lengthy post like the DR post today, I wanted to jump to the thread by the time I got to the bottom.

Yeah, now I have to scroll all the way up. Any way to make say.. the replies/views stats actually link to the thread? or just a go to thread link or something?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Linh, I'll look into this. I was wondering whether we should just show the first 250 words or so on the front page...

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Most browsers i know go back to the top of the page by hitting the 'home' key (7 on num keypad w/o num lock).

Not to say nothing can be done, but still, it's already easy to jump back...

Cheers,

4. 250 sounds like a good amount to leave you wanting more. e.g. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? :smile:

I also think it's good not to make the front page not too picture heavy if you're browsing on say a smartphone with a limited download limit. I know I have to avoid the image threads when I'm on my iPhone for this reason.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Giving it a try...

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, that works too... never even thought of that. looks good! now if there's an option to thumbnail some pics in the post to make it look less dry (heh, I know, I want it all).

that sometimes works, but if there are say two back to back long posts, and I'm on the third one... I like this snippet view, lets you quickly see what might be interesting to you.