front element replacement

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colbycheese, Apr 6, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    is it even possible to replace front elements on micro four thirds lenses? Has anyone ever done this?
    Thanks

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably at a cost. Plus depending on what lens, you'll have to wait for parts to be delivered most likely from Japan.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I understand that. I am probably going to have to do this. It is the Panasonic Leica 25. Who do i contact?

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You'll have to start a repair request. Panasonic is pretty slow about it from my experience and they lump camera repairs with their other consumer electronics (tvs, camcorders, toasters :tongue:). On the brightside, they do check in weekly to update you on the repair until it ships. Good luck!

http://shop.panasonic.com/support/

5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    It is bound to be very expensive, if they will do it all. I would estimate cost to be somewhere between half the original retail price of the lens to almost full price.

I would be more afraid of reduced performance once repaired as centration of elements gets critical. On the production line the finished lens is tested for element centration errors. They have the luxury of pulling out any finished lens that exceeds their standards. Frankly I wouldn't even send it in unless you are in warranty and have a warranty issue.

From your other thread I feel like you are over obsessing. I just pulled my Pan/Leica 25 off a camera and checked it over carefully, shining a light through it and at it it from various angles. I can see a significant haze on the front surface of the front element on mine. All it is is atmospheric contamination and dust deposits, all of which will come off easily with the cleaning method I advised in your other thread.

But if I had to grab it and go to work RIGHT NOW, I would do it without hesitation or any fear that it would affect my pictures. It usually takes a lot more than you would think to adversely affect images.

So clean it up GENTLY as best you can, use a Rocket Blower (or big ear syringe), then the edge of a folded microfiber cloth, then breathe on the lens until you fog it and quickly use the microfiber cloth to wipe it while moist. Put it on the camera and use it.

In the meantime look up PecPads and Eclipse cleaning fluid on www.bhphotovideo.com and order those for a real good cleaning system,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/71154-REG/Photographic_Solutions_PAD44_Pec_Pad_Photo_Wipes.htm

Although B&H lists Eclipse cleaning fluid they will not ship it, you can only pick it up at their store (convenient if you live in NYC). So here is a link to Photographic Solutions direct. This is where I order mine.

http://photosol.com/product/eclipse-2-oz-bottle/

I generally don't use UV filters for protection with micro four thirds lenses because of unwanted reflections that sometimes result, however if going into a "lens hostile" environment (sea spray, industrial contaminants, etc.) I will put one on.

So clean your lens and enjoy it. It's one of the finest around.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd be surprised if they'll do it - it's probably such an expensive and uncommon repair that they are not set up to do it at all.

7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    The Pana/Leica 25 is not a special lens. It's made on an assembly line just like all the others. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have lens elements parted out like Canon. They'll probably charge you about 300$ for labour and who knows what for parts to do it. The repair will include re-calibration and re-center'ing of the lens, that's mandatory whenever you replace an element, even for a front or rear end-element.

Alternatively, you could send it out and lie about its condition... say images have a haze or there's some sort of visual anomaly in your photos.
    Usually that's enough for them to throw the lens onto the test bench and run it through a recalibration... You're still looking at about 200-350$ for that work anyway.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What exactly is the problem that you think your lens needs a new front element?

--Ken

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The fact that it's a production line lens probably tilts against the odds of the front element being replaceable, at least at any economic cost. The manufacturer may not have the inclination to rebuild lenses like this on the bench as one-offs. In the end, the only way to find out is for the OP to contact the manufacturer, though.

10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    thank you for the reply. What is the best way to make sure a microfibre cloth is clean before using it?

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Maybe you should consider something that is for one-time use and disposable, like the PEC Pads? This way you do not have to worry about whether a cloth is clean or not?

--Ken

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I agree on the microfiber cloths. I may use them once, then they get retired for less critical uses. The risk of turning them into an abrasive pad seems too great to me, and I don't think that washing them is likely to get fine embedded grit out. I still swear by disposible lens tissue (for cameras - not the ones sold for eye glasses).

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    A B+W MRC filter doesn't look so expensive now ……. does it?

14. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I don't worry about it.

First off I keep lenses capped unless on the camera and actually photographing something, that keeps most junk off the glass.

Second, I keep the microfiber cloth in it's packaging to keep it clean until I actually need it,

Third I buy quality microfiber cloth, like one Leica branded one I ordered on impulse from B&H. It's quite a bit larger than others and I've used it several times usually unfolding to an unused section. The "freebies" that come with some ordered items I use one time and discard.

Fourth, I do not compulsively clean lenses, most cleaning is done at home and mainly when I notice it could use it and most of the time all I need to do is blow off dust. If it really needs anything more it's time for the Pec Pads and Eclipse fluid.

Same with sensor cleaning. I do that ONLY when I notice something showing up in images or if I spot something when occasionally inspecting the sensor with a lighted sensor loupe. Most of the time I catch it when a Giottos Rocket Blower will get it off.

A little bit of common sense will go a long way. A bit of dust will NOT affect an image. I've got 23 years full time professional experience, 10 years part time, and 2 years running a one person photo lab as a temp assignment (my unit lost our assigned photographer) while on active duty.