Front dial failure

Mark73

Mu-43 Regular
Before I resort to sending my E-M10 ii to Olympus for repair, is there any easy fix for a faulty front dial?

I've tried the contact cleaner method around the base of the dial, but I doubt it actually finds it way into the innards, without having to dismantle the body. Regardless, it didn't work.

Any other suggestions, please?

Regards,

Mark

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Hi Mark,

My experience is with my E-P5 so it may not apply to the E-M10. (See below.) My E-P5 was sent back for dial failure three times under warranty. The front dial first then 6 months later, the rear dial and then 12 months later, the front dial again. Clearly the previous fix - presumably replacing the dial - didn't last.

On the third occasion I spoke to a "Senior Technician" who apologised profusely and said that they had recently been notified of a "definitive fix" and it concerned the photo interruptors. I asked if they had not been replaced on the previous occasions and he was not especially forthcoming. I requested that the fix be applied to both dials. This would have been late 2015 or early 2016 - I can't remember exactly.

That was a few years ago and I've had no further trouble so either it is luck or they really did fix the dials.

However, I've subsequently read that the E-P5 uses mechanical contacts and not interruptors (like the E-M1 - don't know about the E-M10). However I don't know how reliable the source of this information is.

So your guess is as good as mine, Mark. Perhaps you could contact your local service centre and ask if there is indeed a "permanent" fix for the dials. If indeed such a fix exists, it's been around for at least 4 years so hopefully someone is aware of it. Perhaps it was all just smoke and mirrors on the part of the tech I spoke to?

Edit: At the time, I tried the "turn the dial 50 times" trick but it had no effect. If indeed the problems lies in a photo interruptor then presumably contact cleaner would have little effect?

Last edited:

Mark73

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that.

I'm not sure if the dial is electrical or optical, tbh. If it's the latter, I guess contact cleaner would be next to useless anyway.

I think I'll send it in anyhow, as I doubt there's much more I can do to fix it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom