1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

From X-Pro1 to the EM-5

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by abepak, Feb 5, 2013.

1. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Hello folks!

I was a previous X-Pro1 owner that switched over to the E-M5. I don't regret the switch. I loved the X-Pro1. I loved the design, the pictures, and the high-iso performance. But the camera was too specialized for my shootings and I wanted a more versatile camera. Fortunately, the E-M5 is probably the most versatile mirrorless out right now and I've been having a blast with it.

Still... I'll admit, when I go back and look at my previous pictures, I still feel some separation pangs.

2. Carl Radford

Carl Radford Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Some divorces are good for the soul :)

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I had both the X-Pro and the EM5 also. I still do. If I had to keep one it would be the EM5 for the same reasons you'd mentioned. But I'd be basically heart-broken, because in its somewhat specialized role, the X-Pro is simply wonderful, incredible, great, sublime.

That divorce would not be good for the soul. If its necessary its necessary but it would hurt and there's no upside to it other than possibly financial... Camera's are unlike spouses in that you can easily co-exist with more than one of them and they don't get their feelings hurt when you take the other one out on the town...

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  4. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Yup. The X-Pro1, for what it could do, it was incredible. For what it couldn't do, it was tear-your-hair-out frustrating. A true love/hate relationship. I would have kept the X-Pro and bought the E-M5 if I could've, but I couldn't justify the cost for it at this point in time. I might go back to the system a few generations down the line maybe.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I would love to own a Fuji X camera along side my E-M5 if I could justify the cost (to my better half that is!) Since I couldn't, I picked the more versatile option, too!

BTW, what lenses do you have for your E-M5? Perhaps the 25/1.4 or 75/1.8 could ease your pain? :biggrin:

6. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I have the 25/1.4. It went a long way to help out, since I came from the 35/1.4 on the X-Pro. :D

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 App

8. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I have had both and continue to have both, but I just sold over half of my m4/3 lenses and one OMD body.They just were not seeing much use. While I appreciate the versatility of the OMD, I just never warmed up to shooting with the camera and only use it for the stuff my Fuji's do not excel at. Weather proofing and hand held long shutter speed stuff.