From the UK, wanting to buy from the US!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LiamAshe, Jul 12, 2013.

1. LiamAshe

LiamAshe New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I am from the UK and am trying to find a good deal on the Olympus EPL-5.

The cheapest price here is £485, however in the US (OLYMPUS | Global Homepage), the price is a LOT cheaper, at $499 (equating to around £330).

Has anyone from the UK tried this? Am I missing something as to why I shouldn't go ahead and buy from this US website (e.g. extra tax, wrong charger, incompatible credit cards, etc?)

Sorry, I'm a bit of an ameteur when it comes to online buying, if someone could put me in my place I would appreciate it a lot!

Thanks for your time.
  2. zak5ive

zak5ive New to Mu-43

Nov 14, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Hiya Liam

I am also from the UK, the problem with buying form the US is that when postage is added and import duties you haven't saved much. I am also interested in the EPL-5 and have been watching the price here. Might also be worth looking at some of the importers that cover the cost of postage and import duties like, i have bought form them before and they are very good and reliable.

Good luck

3. LiamAshe

LiamAshe New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    Hi Garry,

Thank you. I have always been a bit apprehensive about digitalrev, aren't their products essentially grey imports which do not come with an Olympus Guarantee?
  4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    If you but direct from the US you are making a grey import!
  5. LiamAshe

LiamAshe New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    Thank you for telling me, this is what I wasn't clear on. I guessed on assuming that if the product came from the official Olympus site, then I would have a guarantee.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
  6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's not that they don't have a warranty. It's that they have a warranty for the country of sale. So if you buy it from Japan, it comes with a Japanese warranty. If you buy it from the US, it comes with a US warranty. In decades gone by, it used to be a US versus the world warranty. It was only a US warranty or an international warranty. Things have become more country specific.
  7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I thought Olympus honors worldwide warranty?:eek:

I thought it's Canon, Nikon and Panasonic that doesn't.
  8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I wasn't talking about Olympus specifically, just companies in general. But it does seem like Olympus does honor it's warranty worldwide. Here's what it says on the US site.
  9. LiamAshe

LiamAshe New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    That's pretty good. Starting to convince me to buy from the US now.

Does it come with a standard three pin charger (UK) or does that US have a different style which I will then have to buy on top of that?

If I was to buy from the US, would I qualify for the free 17mm f2.8 lens by redemption?
  10. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    The E-PL5 charger has a figure-8 connector, which is compatible with UK power cords that have that connection (small stereos, printers etc often use it).
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    By the time you've added VAT, import duty & postage I doubt it'll be much cheaper than regular UK retailers. As others have suggested, try DigitalRev, or ProCamerashop - they both ship from HK and prices include all taxes etc. In fact, ProCmerashop are listing the E-Pl5 at £420 with the 14-42 lens. Price all in and free postage!

If you want cheaper, just buy used.
  12. LiamAshe

LiamAshe New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I may just wait a little more, would really like a new epl5 with the peace of mind that I can just go to the store with any problems I may encounter.

Been a nice insight though, thanks again!
  13. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    You will need an adaptor to take US 2 pin to UK three pin, or you could swap the lead for a UK one as above. You'll also almost certainly pay VAT, potentially duty, and an admin charge levied by the courier for handling the payment. Add all this up, coupled with the risks around warranty and receiving a DOA product, I'm not sure it's worth it.

DigitalRev on the other hand de-risks a lot of this, and will handle the warranty themselves. You are however dealing with them and not Olympus.

I imagine the T&Cs on the US redemption specifies shipping only to US adresses or similar. You may qualify, but there won't be an easy way to receive the lens.

Personally, I added all the factors up above, and chose a walk to John Lewis over an import from HK for my E-M5.
  14. jason6764

jason6764 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    I was in exactly the same situation as you. If you have been looking around you may have seen that Olympus UK have a promotion on which enables you to claim a free 17mm f2.8 lens. This makes the £485 price more bearable, if you don't want the lens sell it and your E-PL5 has become cheaper. If you order from abroad you can't claim the free lens.
  15. LiamAshe

LiamAshe New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    I am aware that you can get a 17mmf2.8, and I was ever so close to buying the epl5 from john lewis for £430* but there was a fault in the system and it turned out that the camera had been put of stock, and now its shot back up to £470*.

*these prices include employee discount

It really isn't ideal! But I think I've crossed the USA off my list thanks to you guys, thanks again!
  16. jason6764

jason6764 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    I got mine for £449 from wilkinson cameras via their Ebay store, worth keeping an eye out for them.