From the Smokys

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
I think 1 and 2 do work, it's not often you look down on clouds, for me the 3rd one doesn't really work, but I like some fore ground interest in landscape shots. I'm guessing the lighting was a little flat so it can be difficult under those conditions to generate the necessary contrast in a shot, again 1 and 2 have a reasonable amount. That's my view for what it's worth, although I'm not sure I'm the best critic by any means.

Barrie

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Grebeman,

Thats really the problem. The mood and lighting were really interesting with the fog and smoke rolling down the mountains(and rain, as you can see). But capturing this was really hard because there wasn't a whole lot of light. I will post the original of the last shot to see what you think.

Dj

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Had much the same problem last week on Dartmoor when taking my first shots with a 12mm, f/5.6 Voigtlander, a veil of cloud over the sun giving a strange light which perhaps didn't translate too well to the photographic medium (see adapted lens image thread under the CV 12mm, f/5.6)

Barrie

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Here's the Original out of camera jpeg.
This is actually a zoomed in( with the kit lens) version of the second picture. The second picture was at 28mm. The thing is, it gets more information vertically, and not enough horizontally. What I really "saw" was closer to this image when standing at that location.

P9263474_orig_scale.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Given the dark foreground then the cropping improves the picture, although I would have been tempted to make it nearer to 16:9 and leave more of the sky in the shot, particularly the whiter cloud piled up above the darker layer where it cuts across the picture.
I was able to play around more with my shots having shot in raw, although I could not seem to obtain the balance of light that I saw in the actual scene.

Barrie

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I went wider than 16:9 mainly because I felt all the white clouds didn't really do much for the picture. As far as color, this is dead on for the scene to what I saw. It was gray and spooky.The forground mountains show up as a drab green, whereas the farther mountains turn into shadows.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
The higher level white cloud does it for me, to me it changes the perception of the climatic conditions, all is not grey and gloomy, the dark cloud layer might be coming in or going, there's a hint of changes afoot in the weather, so personally i would have kept it in, but it was good to see the original and discover your reasons for cropping, yes remove that dark foreground, on that we agree, but I think you've removed something of interest by cropping out the high level cloud cover.

Barrie

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Hi Djarum,

That to me conveys more "atmosphere" and equates to what I had in mind for dealing with your original capture, like it and thanks for taking my thoughts on board and running with them. By the way you're welcome to address me as Barrie rather than by my user name, being as how this is a friendly site and all that :smile:

Barrie

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Great change in crop - excellent suggestions that you've gotten here, too, DJ.

I wonder if you might consider cropping up from the bottom in that first one, too. Yes, it will be another cloud mountain top scene but the color and lighting in that one really sings out to me the most.

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
I think all of them look great, but I may be biased from them bringing back pleasing memories of the place. LOL Anyway, I agree with BB that the crop looks better now and a more "thirds" look in the first would probably work best. Great pics nonetheless!

Latest threads

Top Bottom