From Texas, Ordered the Olympus E-PM1 tonight

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Les, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Les

Les New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    It was for Christmas - not for me! For the spouse I actually had on order the Sony HX9V point and shoot. That was on Dec 15. Went on backorder and almost impossible to get right now. Anyways for the spouse wanted a P&S with good video capability. She does not want things complicated!

I think the HX9V is a very good choice. However, it may be February before available again. In search of that camera I eventually found myself here and learned some about 43 cameras. Almost got the EPM1 then.

I hope she finds it easy to use. By the way I was thinking of getting this from Amazon: Olympus Pen Accessory Kit, mainly for the tutorial DVD

QuickPro Tutorial DVD for the Olympus PEN Cameras. I think it would be good for her and me for that matter. What do you guys think? Olympus Accessory Starter Pack for Pen E-P1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3 & E-PM1 Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Cameras: Books

2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I think she'll really like the E-PM1. Just leave it in "Auto" mode, focus, and a shoot. Will give her superb results compared with any point and shoot.

The tutorials and such will hopefully make the various topics interesting. Depending on her interest level, she'll be able to try out many more things than just the "point and shoot" mode. It just all depends on her - in other words, what strikes her as interesting?
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Never quite sold on those "starter packs" -- the bag seems big, too, for such a small camera.

Better to get an extra battery and a good SD card.

Welcome to the forums!
  4. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    I agree with WT21, extra battery and SD card. Take her to the local camera shop or best buy to pick a case that will fit the camera and fit in her purse/bag if she carries one.
  5. Les

Les New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Well, I found where I can get that kit for $19.95 and free ship. Jeah, the bag does look big. But I was more interested in the instructional DVD although I think it is grared more towards the E-P1.

I realize the Corel paintshop pro and video studio essentials are probably a little old but she might find them useful.